"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
I read a comment this morning where someone almost apologized for their boat being not very trawler like.
Hmmm......

While we all obviously have something that comes to mind when the word trawler is uttered, I began to wonder what is considered acceptable outside the confines of this forum and some of its very opinionated participants.

I love poking around in Yachtworld and frequently search for boats by brand. Sometimes I search by keyword if I am looking for a broader spectrum of boats. This can generate a lot of results though, so typically, I add more restrictions to my searches so as to not be overwhelmed.

Anyway, I searched for "trawler" in 35' to 40' this morning and wow! There where something like 20 pages of results of very interesting looking "trawlers".
While it is a slightly overwhelming sample to look at in detail, a quick scan indicates that the rest of the world considers the term to include a wide range of designs... Yes, I understand that the rest of the world consists of manufacturers and their marketing departments, brokers and owners who are trying to cast a wide net but clearly, the definition is loosely defined as... a boat!

Lots of fun poking in that list this morning!
Enjoy your trawler!
Bruce

Ahh yes the "trawler". Funny story. When I was in the market for a "big" boat I went to my local yacht broker. After showing me various "speed" boats, I said, this really isn't what I was looking for. I wanted something with more outside space, more cabin space and more creature comforts, etc. He said, " I have a trawler that needs some work". I said, "A WHAT? Do I look like a trawler person?" All I could picture was the trawlers out in the ocean with the big shrimp nets!! LOL! I now own a beautiful Marine trader trawler. It took a LOT of hard work and general maintenance, but I made her my own.

Ahh yes the "trawler". Funny story. When I was in the market for a "big" boat I went to my local yacht broker. After showing me various "speed" boats, I said, this really isn't what I was looking for. I wanted something with more outside space, more cabin space and more creature comforts, etc. He said, " I have a trawler that needs some work". I said, "A WHAT? Do I look like a trawler person?" All I could picture was the trawlers out in the ocean with the big shrimp nets!! LOL! I now own a beautiful Marine trader trawler. It took a LOT of hard work and general maintenance, but I made her my own.

Ah yes, one of the things we felt we needed coming from a sailboat was outside space. It is the reason we insisted on the flybridge.
Outside is good.
Bruce

I'm not a strict matter, but it is a purely fishing with a long term network and pulled this wager is the name of the trawling vessel and which carries out this is a trawler. everything else is marketing the modern boats.

all the others are called trawlers, nothing to do with trawl fishing! my perspective on the world from here Nord EU

official trawler boats without fish, and fully loaded

I'm not a strict matter, but it is a purely fishing with a long term network and pulled this wager is the name of the trawling vessel and which carries out this is a trawler. everything else is marketing the modern boats.

all the others are called trawlers, nothing to do with trawl fishing! my perspective on the world from here Nord EU

official trawler boats without fish, and fully loaded

That thing looks it was designed by a child of "An old woman who lived in a shoe"!
Bruce

That thing looks it was designed by a child of "An old woman who lived in a shoe"!
Bruce

:):):rofl::thumb:

bring personal linen steel in the bow visor is for winter fishing. Water beats the bow and begins to freeze, that visor helps Stability of the ship when the ice does not produce the weight of the bow.

Greetings,
There is a fairly extensive thread dealing with just this topic. Pretty well everyone had an "opinion" and the subject was beaten to death AT THAT TIME (saw your post Mr. NW). Maybe another member can put you onto it.
I am STILL of the opinion the main living area should be called the saloon! Salon is a hair dressing establishment...

Last edited:
RT,
Appearently not "beaten to death" as here it is .....

Bruce

Me thinks she might have some stability issues, loaded and in unfavourable seas.

Like it or not the term trawler gets rec. boaters attention on the net or re; boat sales. The term though meaningless as commonly used for recreational boats works on peoples imagination and dreams. I don't know maybe shrimper might also work. I am certain Lobster boat works. I think down under they have something like Cray boats. I think most on this site have power boats capable of cruising. I don't know would the power boat forum worked?

Like it or not the term trawler gets rec. boaters attention on the net or re; boat sales. The term though meaningless as commonly used for recreational boats works on peoples imagination and dreams. I don't know maybe shrimper might also work. I am certain Lobster boat works. I think down under they have something like Cray boats. I think most on this site have power boats capable of cruising. I don't know would the power boat forum worked?

I think this forum is appropriately named because I find "Trawler Forum" as a forum using the term to denote a type of cruising. We're not the bass boat forum, not the performance boat forum with Cigarettes and Fountains. We're people who long for time on the water going to different places, not day cruisers. We don't own a "trawler", not even by stretching the definition. However, we do a lot of cruising and we go to places others here do as well. We have more in common with other boaters here than we do on other forums.

Trawler works in marketing because it denotes a boat that can be used for the type cruising people here do.

Be careful... Marin may jump into this new "Trawler" debate...

Some here know of whom I speak! :rofl: :socool::facepalm:

I have found a way to avoid this term trawler since my most recent boat purchase. I never really did like describing Klee Wyck as a trawler because I didn't know what that was and based on this and other threads like it, it seems like I was not alone.
Turns out both of my boats are in fact kotters and a search of that term on YW or google will bring up a pretty narrow range of hull and house forms. Seems like even brokers know what a kotter is.

Since there seems to be no kotter forum, and even if there was the people wouldn't be as cool as they are on Trawler forum, I am staying here.

I have found a way to avoid this term trawler since my most recent boat purchase. I never really did like describing Klee Wyck as a trawler because I didn't know what that was and based on this and other threads like it, it seems like I was not alone.
Turns out both of my boats are in fact kotters and a search of that term on YW or google will bring up a pretty narrow range of hull and house forms. Seems like even brokers know what a kotter is.

Since there seems to be no kotter forum, and even if there was the people wouldn't be as cool as they are on Trawler forum, I am staying here.

Wifey B: I had to google, "Kotter." My first time hearing it. Now I know though, it's a form of zeilschip. I like the synonym "kustwachter". :D

//Kotter?//

Yeah. First few hits gave me Gabe Kaplan, but now I want one!

Trawler (rec) is simply a heavy cruiser.

You can make it more complicated but "heavy cruiser" bout sums it up.

Versatile Trawlers

Is a real fishing trawler still a trawler when at Christmas, it collects 600kg of "cargo":blush: from a vessel from South America, transports it to a large inflatable which brings it ashore? All under the watchful eyes of the law, in the sleepy village of Brooklyn NSW state,where I moor.

I think this forum is appropriately named because I find "Trawler Forum" as a forum using the term to denote a type of cruising. We're not the bass boat forum, not the performance boat forum with Cigarettes and Fountains. We're people who long for time on the water going to different places, not day cruisers. We don't own a "trawler", not even by stretching the definition. However, we do a lot of cruising and we go to places others here do as well. We have more in common with other boaters here than we do on other forums.

Trawler works in marketing because it denotes a boat that can be used for the type cruising people here do.

Us trawler = travel boat style
EU trawler = fiching style, pull the fish trap

You can see this trawler forum:hide: Trawler Photos Forums

Ours is definately a trawler
60ft and 70,000kg wet.

As a workboat and in her current configeration.

Attachments

• 13709866_10206916383373930_5032614020068367023_n.jpg
    13709866_10206916383373930_5032614020068367023_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 14516424_1109992995748290_7735201128742929271_n.jpg
    14516424_1109992995748290_7735201128742929271_n.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 106
Someone asked me what the difference between a trawler and a motor yacht was?

My best answer was "speed".

Simi has beautiful lines. Nice conversion.

Someone asked me what the difference between a trawler and a motor yacht was?

My best answer was "speed".

Good one word answer!

Does that mean our fairly quick, planning hull Tollycraft is a "Motor Yacht"... by default?? I don't think so!

At 34' with tri cabin layout - a "Waterborne Motor Driven Pleasure Craft" - maybe LOL. :rofl: :whistling:

She's just right for what/how/where/why we play in the water... at current stage of life! :thumb:

What is an SUV? My Suburban used to be a truck. The marketeers lists go on and on trying to snag victims. Years ago Art DeFever and Tony Fleming did not recognize the term except to upbraid the purveyors of the term. Nordhavn's sales info lacks the term.

Yes, Marin would wax eloquent on this subject. The recognized terms most descriptive are SVs and MVs - for recreational use. Or so says the Navy and USCG. What do other countries professionally call recreational craft? Does the sales term "trawler" get used?

"A LOT of hard work and general maintenance"??? Somehow I've never been able to quantify the work done as soon as one buys a boat as general maintenance. I've always put that into the category of repairs. ; ). Of course as soon as I have to do it again it becomes "general maintenance". What you have done in so short of a time is an inspiration to us all.
Great Job!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom