Prairie 29 Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UNA MAS

Vessel Name
Cummins Twice
Vessel Make
1985 Chris Craft 268 Commander
Hello All-

I would like to ask if anyone knows what Windlass, if any, came on the Prairie 29, 1978. I have a plate on the bow where one used to be located. It's to the starboard side of center. I have 2 anchors, 1 plow and one Danforth. They both feed to the anchor locker thru their own access.

Looks like I will be installing a new windlass and doing some modifications to make this one easy peasy!!!

Before anyone tells me it is all different and depends on what PO's did, I already know that. Which is why I asked "if any" in my initial question.

Will appreciate any info or suggestion on a new windless.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

This is what's left. Any suggestions as to what was there or what to put back.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 87
Can you show the bolt hole pattern.....not quite visible on the photo.

Here is a close up of what remains.

Attachments

• Windlass.jpg
    Windlass.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 87
Not sure at all what was there. I was hoping someone would recognize it. My next step is going inside and see where the wiring leads me. I plan to install a new windlass and feed directly to the locker below.

Thanks for the comment!!

You might search the Internet for an owners group for your brand of boat. Post your boat specific questions there.

You might search the Internet for an owners group for your brand of boat. Post your boat specific questions there.
That would sort of be right here, wouldn't it????

But on another note, I believe that your windlass installation is NOT original. They were originally installed on top of the bowsprit. just aft of the cleats, on centerline with bow roller.

Mine was "Powermate" BY Powerwinch. I don't believe they are still in business. BUT a good vendor would be able to match your mounting size. Try HopCar here on TF.

I apologize for the sideways, but sometimes thats how it comes out here on TF! And I don't have a readily available pic of it on the bow with me.

I would think that so far back would drop the rode into the bunks No?

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 90
IMO the winch was a capstan mounted to port so the drum is/was on CL.

My boat is w the same setup. Notice the capstan drum on CL. My winch is a new and much quieter than the old one.
You can buy a Power Winch I believe through West Marine. But I think the Endurance Marine product is much better.

Attachments

• DSCF2141 copy.jpg
    DSCF2141 copy.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I had the same plate and same size wiring,it was a Power Winch Capstan, you had to manually feed rode into the locker. I removed plate and put a Lewmar 1000 works much better.

I had the same plate and same size wiring,it was a Power Winch Capstan, you had to manually feed rode into the locker. I removed plate and put a Lewmar 1000 works much better.

Manually feeding the rode into the locker would seem like a real PITA. It's important to remember that you may be doing this in the rain and choppy seas.

I replaced a manual windlass with the same Lewmar but even the manual windlass fed the rode into the locker. I had to move some of the holes but it was well worth it.

Una Mas, you're asking in the right place, the Prairie Owners section.

I had a similar installation on my 34 Californian when I purchased the boat. It was a Powerwinch manual winch...not a true windlass in my opinion. As mentioned above, it dumped the rode (and mud) on the deck which then needed to be fed into the anchor locker by hand. I still have the Powerwinch sitting in my garage cabinet. I can post pics if you need them.

I also replaced mine with a Lewmar 1000 and have greatly appreciated the upgrade. It makes anchoring nearly effortless.

The Capstan makes sense because depending on which anchor was used it would pile the rode on deck. Im not into manually feeding it thru.

As for the comment, I didn't want to sound like a smart a_ _. Being a Retired Marine, it comes naturally sometimes.. (ha....).

Thank you all for the great comments. They are right in line and I now know what might have been there.

Yep. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the pic. Hell, even looks like my boat!!

None came standard most likely it was aftermarket
we installed a manual one even though 99percent of the time we just pull the anchor by hand

Back
Top Bottom