The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nordic Star

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nordic Star
Vessel Make
1969 Pilot House Trawler
Hi Folks. I have just recently became the proud owner of an older Pilot House Trawler. Built in 1969 by Blaine Stevens she's been well cared for over the years. I was boat shopping/researching for just under a year and as soon as I walked on her decks I was hooked.

She has a storied past first being commissioned and driven on the Great Lakes for many years by her first owner Elizabeth Cramer.

When I took her out for the test run it didn't take long to feel the difference between the other surface skimmers and Trawlers. Wow, she was majestic!

Thank You for lending me you ear and I hope to learn from all of you.

Attachments

• not-specified-pilot-house-trawler-533562.jpg
    not-specified-pilot-house-trawler-533562.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 299
Unfortunately the Dinghy wasn't part of the deal. I'm looking into getting one that would "fit" Any suggestions?

Your story once again proves what we often try to advise new boat shoppers. The boat always chooses the owner. At least in the successful boat/owner relationships.

Welcome aboard and post some more pictures of your spiffy new ride as you get the chance.

Hi Folks. I have just recently became the proud owner of an older Pilot House Trawler. Built in 1969 by Blaine Stevens she's been well cared for over the years. I was boat shopping/researching for just under a year and as soon as I walked on her decks I was hooked.

She has a storied past first being commissioned and driven on the Great Lakes for many years by her first owner Elizabeth Cramer.

When I took her out for the test run it didn't take long to feel the difference between the other surface skimmers and Trawlers. Wow, she was majestic!

Thank You for lending me you ear and I hope to learn from all of you.
Congratulations and Welcome to the forum!
Great people here to learn from and share experiences with.
My wife is going to shed a tear when I tell her that '69 Stephens pilothouse is off the market.
She was in Bremerton, WA right? We had her on our top 10 list of boats to visit next February.

Bremerton/Dinghy

She wasn't in Bremerton but I believe she was advertised throughout most of the West Coast from San Diego to Canada.

As far as Dinghy size I'll have to measure the runners that are on the Top deck then do the math for weight capacity.

Her power comes from a 120 HP Ford-Lehman Diesel and she has a Diesel Generator as well. Still in the testing phase and systems tracing phase. What a blast!

All I want for Christmas is a Bow-Thruster. :)

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new boat. I can attest to the fact the best boats pick their owners.

Ted

She wasn't in Bremerton but I believe she was advertised throughout most of the West Coast from San Diego to Canada.

As far as Dinghy size I'll have to measure the runners that are on the Top deck then do the math for weight capacity.

Her power comes from a 120 HP Ford-Lehman Diesel and she has a Diesel Generator as well. Still in the testing phase and systems tracing phase. What a blast!

Well, my general recommendation is the largest RIB that will fit. Others prefer hard boats. I just like the size vs weight of RIBS.

As others have said the boat picks you. It happened to us. Welcome aboard.

Yes...welcome to the forum...and...

No...I'd advise holding off a bit on the bow thruster issue. She has done just fine all this time with what she has, and so can you. I said the same thing the first time or two I took Lotus out, (also 120hp Lehman and no thrusters), but as soon as I got the feel of how to use the inertia, and then momentum of the vessel, along with bursts of power and rudder angle, my need for a bow thruster sort of vanished - that was 14 years ago now. But of course if money is no object....certainly if mine came with a thruster I would not have ripped it out...just sayin'...

Is she a woody or solid GRP, by the way..?

Unfortunately the Dinghy wasn't part of the deal. I'm looking into getting one that would "fit" Any suggestions?

If you want to keep cost down and have a tough boat look for a used aluminum skiff in the 12-15 foot range some are better quality than others. they take little maintenance and 4-10 hp drives them well and they row a lot better than a rib. About 25 years ago I had a few years use of one and when I left the East Coast gave it to a friend it is still going strong.

I was just kidding about the Bow thrusters but you are right , thrusters and wood are not good companions. My cousin just sold his 16' aluminum boat 6 months ago. Timing is everything ��

Welcome

Congratulations and welcome to this great site. Nice looking boat with a good size salon.

John T.

Even though she's off the market please feel free to drop by and have a look at her. She's definitely a Classic!

Back
Top Bottom