Self righting boat....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. If I win the Powerball jackpot this week, I'm ordering one...:smitten:

I think that's been on TF before.

But who needs a self righting boat?

The Elling is a great boat. Don't like the rub rails though. Rope

Heated flooring for your cold feet? I don't think so. KISS...
Pirate socks (arrg-hyle)
giphy.gif

I wonder how well that giant sunroof seals against the water pressure when upside down. [emoji41].

My boat is also supposed to be able to turn turtle, but I can only imagine all the bones I would break as I fly around the PH while I perform the turtle maneuver.

Marketing BS.

Last edited:
Further...Great that they self right but who, in their right mind, would be out in conditions that would even TEST that?

Further...Great that they self right but who, in their right mind, would be out in conditions that would even TEST that?

Quite so, but I know that just knowing the Gazelle yacht (sailboat) I once had was definitely self-righting, gave a warm fuzzy feeling when the going got a bit sh*ty way out there. The fact it is self-righting means it is going to take quite a lot to even lay a boat on its beam ends, let alone turn it over. But add in the hull construction, which adds a huge buoyancy reserve, and the thing sounds a bit like the Etap yachts with such a buoyant cored and double layered hull, they are unsinkable even if filled with water.

Nobody could possibly consider buying one of these.....it has got a Green Monster downstairs.

I walked by one in Elburg when I was over in the Netherlands buying mine last Spring. Very Nice up close.

PMM gave then ten thumbs up in an article they had 6 or so years ago. A very high quality boat.

Sorry the wine cellar is too small for me, I won't by this one, not enough fuel capacity :D

I wonder how well that giant sunroof seals against the water pressure when upside down. [emoji41].

My boat is also supposed to be able to turn turtle, but I can only imagine all the bones I would break as I fly around the PH while I perform the turtle maneuver.

Marketing BS.

:whistling:elling the sunroof closes the vacuum seal. does not leak if the seal intact. When I'm looking for a new boat in the autumn, was Elling and Nordig Tug which selector. Elling is strong built and good SD boat that can run over the ocean. I ended up as the NT is more suitable for me, it was really hard to make a decision.:popcorn:

factory and designer have built in the past pilots boats, such a requirement to turn up again. The vessel designed in such a way that it can actually rotate and continue the journey. can not you see the kids would love this

I guess it's nice to know the boat is self righting. In my mind, the issue that is missed, would be that you're probably still in horrific conditions and now dead in the water. Think I'm better off knowing my boat isn't self righting and need to cruise more conservatively.

Ted

I wish I could afford an Abrams tank to drive to the boat. Maybe next life.

Saw a pilot boat disappear underwater at Hens and Chicken shoals during tropical storm Josephine back in the 90s.

They were standing by a sailboat in 25 foot breakers while we prepared to hoist the two sailors.

After the cabin washing, the captain calmly said to me over the radio " now that you are here Coast Guard, we are gonna stand by a bit further off"

Yep, built tough .....some of them pilot boats...along with their skippers.

The brand new 47 foot USCG motor lifeboat had a dual engine shutdown crossing Delaware Bay because of GEN2 DDEC engine controls and had to limp home. So even the toughest boats till proven are questionable.

Funny that after the 2 sailors got washed overboard and hoisted, the sailboat did fine on her own and was found the next day 35 miles SE motoring in circles.

I guess it's nice to know the boat is self righting. In my mind, the issue that is missed, would be that you're probably still in horrific conditions and now dead in the water. Think I'm better off knowing my boat isn't self righting and need to cruise more conservatively.

Ted

Three thumbs up!!!

Bruce Kessler, referred to as the father of modern long distance motor cruising, once answered a question during a seminar I was part of at the Safety at Sea seminar in Annapolis.....with something similar to "I am not sure what I would do in those (survival) conditions, I really haven't been in anything like that".

That was after something like 50,000 miles including a circumnavigation.

Probably much like Richard on Dauntless.....knowing your weather and picking your times and rouses is key.

Ted

Exactly! If I had a Nordhavn (or whatever alleged proven "blue water" boat), that doesn't mean I should be out there crossing an ocean. We humans think we have situations under control based on our past experiences, when in reality we live in a world of almost complete randomness.

(Currently reading the very interesting book "Fooled by Randomness") [emoji51]

Last edited:
I think the point of a self righting boat design is they "sit" in rough water much more comfortably than boats with raised pilothouses or flybridges. Imagine your boat in the sea state in this video. (Somebody will comment on "helmsmanship" but the point is how the boat just shrugs things off)

Last edited:
Saw one at a boat show down in San Diego. Very nice, and more spacious interior than I was expecting given the design.

We probably saw the same boat. It was docked at SR for a few weeks after the show while still a brokerage boat, a few slips away from me. I climbed around on her at night when no one was around to get a good look, and it is built like a tank. I actually thought the interior salon space was a bit cramped for its size.

I think the point of a self righting boat design is they "sit" in rough water much more comfortably than boats with raised pilothouses or flybridges. Imagine your boat in the sea state in this video. (Somebody will comment on "helmsmanship" but the point is how the boat just shrugs things off)

My take away from that video is either the pilot or the boat does a poor job in rough seas. Clearly the boat from which the video was shot, was the one to be on.

Ted

My take away from that video is either the pilot or the boat does a poor job in rough seas. Clearly the boat from which the video was shot, was the one to be on.

Ted

Right...but the boat did just fine despite that, yes?

That boat surfs down the waves pretty damn well. To me that quality seems more important than any self-righting claim. But maybe the boat's self-righting design with the low center of gravity has something to do with the good surfing ability. My biggest fear in a big following sea is losing control when surfing for whatever reason (lack of engine power, steering gear problems, pilot error) and broaching. I've never experienced surfing on my boat so I have no idea how controllable it would be in such a situation. I do know how to surf, but not on a boat.

we also know it is being run in this video on the boat on autopilot or not. if on autopilot with gyro compass which allows the boat to run a more direct and react to changes in the exchange rate and the ship's tilt.

May be Russian captain too match wodka(humor)

Elling is an excellent boat if it fits your needs. Is the flip and righting exhibition a bit gimmicky? Very much so. However, Boston Whaler came from nothing to the most successful boat of it's type ever with the boost of the "Unsinkable" commercials and ads. Elling is much more popular in Europe than the US as they've never built a US structure. If they had some boats in stock in the proper locations of the US I think they would be far better known and have much greater sales here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom