Carquinez Coot In Lectronic Latitude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Believe this is a make-up-story since my swim step is rarely lowered. (Someone prove me wrong.) Nevertheles, the story can be a good lesson because many power boats have life-saving swim steps.

IMG_3435.JPG

Two days on a sunken Delta Island was the most extended swim-platform deployment (not counting Angel Island).

Interesting thread. Timely as well. Recently as reflected on my age and anchoring process came to the conclusion that changes were in store. As the side decks on our boat are near non-existence, walking the small rail hanging on the provided hand rails is fine given perfect conditions, not to be counted on in a necessitated anchoring usually in foul weather. I constructed a folding ladder of four steps which is located in the anchor compartment. This allows access to the foredeck via the escape hatch in the forward bunk area. The next step was a posted rule that when ever access to the foredeck is anticipated or departing the boat with the dink, the boarding ladder located on the swim step is lowered into the water. Lastly the overhang drop down 3/4 inch rope with knots for hand hold is released to be at the aforementioned un stowed boarding ladder.
In the event of a required recovery of a soul, there is mounted overhead in the aft canopy a 1/2 inch diameter four block and tackle setup. This last item is due to being upgraded to heavier 3/4 line and moved to a curved boom located on top of the canopy. (May have a hand powered winch included)
While in many years of boating I have not experienced incidents that will require use of any of these safety items, like falling overboard the near almost, has happened and none of these items were at hand.
Age has something to do with the thinking. but for sure, Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom