USCG work packet backlog...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Imagine
Vessel Make
Farrell 34
I received very prompt feedback today to my inquiry regarding progress on my application for exchange (documentation):

"As of November 25, 2016 our office was reviewing Re-Issue/Recreational applications received on August 09, 2016. Your paperwork was received on August 19, 2016. Because the volume of work received each day will vary, we cannot provide an exact time frame."

So that equates to about a 4 month backlog for Recreational applications.

Just thought I'd post this in case others are wondering about how long this sort of thing can take, FYI. No complaints.

Safe travels, see you on the water somewhere!

It has been this way for a long time. Normally takes 6-8 months to get your certificate if it is a new application. Hurry up and wait....

The information is on their web site.

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcprocessdate.asp

If you purchase a boat and need it quickly as you have a trip out of the country planned, you may expedite it and typically receive it in two weeks or less. The backlogs in general, even though they still look bad, are less than half of what they were prior to their move to their new facility a couple of years ago.

You can do an inquiry on your paperwork here.

USCG CGMIX National Vessel Documentation Center Documentation Status Search Page

Here is the criteria for priority handling.

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst Priority Handling.pdf

You may also now email many of their forms.

We have used a documentation service and priority handling and had fast service, but each time have been headed out of the country. While documentation isn't a requirement most of the time out of the country, we prefer to have it back and the USCG recognizes it as a requirement. On a boat not headed out of the country, we weren't concerned with how long it took.

Funny I happened upon this thread because we, too, have been waiting for our paperwork to be processed. We purchased our current boat in August of this year & even though I'm not worried about it eventually being processed or having an issue with the coast guard or marine police due to the fact that the original documentation from the previous owner expires tomorrow, my big issue is that I really cant legally apply to the FCC for the MMSI number since the boat isn't in my name yet. Now it becomes a safety issue; we don't have a mmsi in the vhf radios & the AIS transceiver is only a receiver, not transmitting our boats position until I can load the ships information into it.
I just can't imagine there's that much of a backlog that it takes more than 3 months to get my paperwork back.

Funny I happened upon this thread because we, too, have been waiting for our paperwork to be processed. We purchased our current boat in August of this year & even though I'm not worried about it eventually being processed or having an issue with the coast guard or marine police due to the fact that the original documentation from the previous owner expires tomorrow, my big issue is that I really cant legally apply to the FCC for the MMSI number since the boat isn't in my name yet. Now it becomes a safety issue; we don't have a mmsi in the vhf radios & the AIS transceiver is only a receiver, not transmitting our boats position until I can load the ships information into it.
I just can't imagine there's that much of a backlog that it takes more than 3 months to get my paperwork back.

Do you have a cleared bill of sale within a state?

If you do...apply for the MMSI..... USCG isn't a requirement for recreational vessels.

We bought our current boat a year ago in September. The documentation service provided copies to us to carry on the boat until the documentation came from the CG. I got the MMSI and license from the FCC before we got the documentation back from the CG. Besides, the old owners documentation would not be valid for you as the new owner.

I have the bill of sale & the application packet that the documentation service gave us but didn't feel that I should file an application on form 605 with the fcc for a ships station license until the boat is actually in my name. As it stands now, it's still registered in the USCG's database in the old owners name. We're probably going to lay the boat up for the winter in a few weeks anyway so there's not a huge urgency. I would HOPE everything will be in order by the spring!

I figured I'd learn more about this subject from the TF "A" team if I posted up!

Took me a while to decode the "case processing dates" page, but now that I got it, it is of course intuitively obvious in hindsight, just like propping a rock!

No worries, I'm in no hurry, or I would'a bought faster boat! :)

Latest issue of BoatUS,: Vessel documentation extended to five years. This new rule will change the registration requirement from every year to just once every five years and is anticipated to go into effect in early 2017. At press time, it is unknown whether the current $26 renewal fee per year will change.

USCG Documentation

I have to submit for a change of ownership and renewal of expired documentation of a recently purchased vessel. In reading this thread on the delay via mailing I'm concerned. I was told here in Florida you can walk in to any USCG station office, pay the required fees and walk out with renewed docs in hand. Please advise.

I have to submit for a change of ownership and renewal of expired documentation of a recently purchased vessel. In reading this thread on the delay via mailing I'm concerned. I was told here in Florida you can walk in to any USCG station office, pay the required fees and walk out with renewed docs in hand. Please advise.

Untrue.

I'd recommend you use a documentation service. As to your hurry, do you have a reason to need it done quickly? You can qualify for expedited processing by planning a trip to the Bahamas, although, in reality, documentation isn't needed for the Bahamas.

Perhaps someone was talking about registration, not documentation? That can be done quickly and is local but not handled by the USCG. Are you getting documentation and registration confused?

Local CG stations do not handle documentation, only the National Vessel Documentation Center in West Virginia. If you are just transferring ownership of a currently documented vessel without a mortgage, it is simple to do on your own. If there is a mortgage involved, the bank will almost always require a documentation service. I have done the paperwork on my own for a previously undocumented vessel which does require measuring the boat to determine the net tonnage which is a volumetric measurement not a weight measurement. Either way it takes quite a while to get the documentation back.

The vessel is USCG registered to the previous owner and is now expired. There is no mortgage. I have a release from the previous owners bank which is why I didn't pay a $500+ service fee to have the documentation transferred by the seller's agent at the time of purchase.

The vessel is USCG registered to the previous owner and is now expired. There is no mortgage. I have a release from the previous owners bank which is why I didn't pay a $500+ service fee to have the documentation transferred by the seller's agent at the time of purchase.

Well, if you're not in a hurry, just go to their website, follow the instructions, and send in the document and the mortgage release. This is one of their slowest processes as it involves removing a lien. Satisfactions of liens are running about 7 months behind.

Here are the instructions:

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst exchange.pdf

The closing company has done and sent all the paperwork on mine. Can I change the name on repaint prior to the final documents? Thanks.

Yes, you can change the name, just keep copies of all the paperwork that was submitted to the USCG.

Another maybe goofy question. The boat came with a 12' Achilles inflatable that has never had power. I have a 3.5 merc for it?...registration and tax? Thanks

Another maybe goofy question. The boat came with a 12' Achilles inflatable that has never had power. I have a 3.5 merc for it?...registration and tax? Thanks

In most states, yes to both. Louisiana requires both.

Far as I can tell, yes to all. USCG document requires no numbers or stickers. Little boat and motor do. Keep the oars and no motor nothing is needed [emoji15]

Maybe I should just buy a 13' whaler with a 35 on it.[emoji41]

Far as I can tell, yes to all. USCG document requires no numbers or stickers. Little boat and motor do. Keep the oars and no motor nothing is needed [emoji15]

Yes, but USCG documented must still be registered.

Actually good the dinghy must be registered. If not, you can find yourself in another state using it that requires registration.

All true. Documented here is wave by. Achilles and merc are $15 lifetime with a bill of sale.
Gotta love Huey longs legacy [emoji57]

BandB, You two remind me of my 1st ex wife::)
Way to smart. In her case I paid for a masters and PHD. Never got there myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom