Member but haven't posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obx

Hi everyone, I've been a member for a while but haven't posted much.
The wife and I are in the process of buying a 89 42ft Grand Banks.

It's in Southport NC now and when everything goes thru I'm bringing it back up here to Camden NC.
Has anyone ever made that run from there, South Port NC to Elizabeth City NC?

I have several times and there are a number who have as this is part of the AICW. Many of us snowbirds use it every fall and spring.

Ted

Reactions: Obx
OC Diver
I'm looking at a chart and it looks like I have to run outside (sea side) from Cape Lookout to Ocracoke inlet.
How do you make that trip?

No.....you can run up the Cape Fear river to Snows Cut over to Carolina Beach.

From there, up the ICW to Morehead City, then the Adams Creek cut up to Oriental.

From there, if nice, you can do Pamlico Sound to Albemarle Sound to ECity.

Or, turn up the Pamlico River to the main ICW, go through the Hoboken Cut to the Pungo River, then the canal to the Alligator to the Albemarle, then on to ECity.

Piece of cake event the ICW from Wrightsville Beach to Morehead city is full of shoal areasin the ICW around some of the inlets.

Oh gosh no! Get a better chart :) Do what psneeld said. Stay in the ICW and it is a piece of cake.

One run that is worth going outside for unless you have lots of time and run on the high tides is come out Masonboro inlet at Wrightsville Beach and come in at Morehead City...only because it us tedious with the shoaling snd long skinny channel in Bogue Sound.

It can be done, but depends on boat speed and daylight.

Of course, one should do every inch of ICW at least once...with time, there are some nice stops in that stretch like Swansboro.

Thanks everyone for the replies
I'll look at all the routes mentioned right now it's 238 mi if I go my way which equals to 3.5 days.

Thanks everyone for the replies
I'll look at all the routes mentioned right now it's 238 mi if I go my way which equals to 3.5 days.

A lot of it is how well you've checked out your boat and how secure you are in it's ability and condition. I prefer outside but only with a boat that I'm very confident in and know well. That brings to another reminder. Join one of the tow membership programs. Do this before the last minute so the coverage will be in effect. More than any other trip you'll ever take, this one calls for it.

OC Diver
I'm looking at a chart and it looks like I have to run outside (sea side) from Cape Lookout to Ocracoke inlet.
How do you make that trip?

This time of year, that could be a very rough trip. As psneeld has outlined, very easy to stay inside the whole way. Day light is short this time of year, weather patterns change quickly, and it's generally much colder at night. With a new boat on an unfamiliar journey, you should plan some extra days.

Ted

Lot of good recommendation's that I take into consideration.
I'd prefer to do ICW but the route I was looking had less than 4ft of depth.

Also going into Ocracoke and Hatteras or Oregon Inlet can be brutal this time of year (I've had plenty of experience will all 3 of those).

I'll look more at going ICW the entire way.
Thanks everyone

When you get to Morehead City/Beaufort...make a left and go up the river to the cut that takes you through Adam's Creek to the Neuse river.

Plenty of water and ultimately shorter distance.

You must be looking at going up just behind the Shackleford Banks.

Last edited:
Stay on the ICW and stop in Oriental. Do not go outside. Done this trip enough time I am out of toes and fingers to count.

A lot of it is how well you've checked out your boat and how secure you are in it's ability and condition. I prefer outside but only with a boat that I'm very confident in and know well. That brings to another reminder. Join one of the tow membership programs. Do this before the last minute so the coverage will be in effect. More than any other trip you'll ever take, this one calls for it.

Good advice-Get the insurance-don't ask me how I know.:banghead:

I re-plotted the course today using psneeld advice staying in the ICW the entire trip. Should be smoother sailing, it's only 10 miles shorter.
Thanks for that suggestion.
At 60-80 miles a day where did you anchor? Just on the edge of waterway?

Um, anchoring "just on the edge of the waterway" is not, generally speaking, one of the better ideas. :) Decide in the morning where you are going to anchor, giving yourself plenty of time to get there. (We always figured a max of 50 miles a day). There should ALWAYS be plenty of time after you are securely anchored for the night, well away from the channel, to have a sundowner after a long day, before dark settles in. And if you make good time and get there with a couple of hours to burn? So what? And if you have another boat anchored with you, go over in the dinghy and invite them to come over for a glass of wine and a chat. We have met many good friends that way.

If you are going to anchor, sure take a look in the morning where you think you may wind up based on your speed.

Every vessel, Captain will be a little different.

At noon say, you will have a much better idea of where you may wind up as wind and current, bridges and traffic will vary your distance covered.

Pick a likely spot, then one well story if things really slow down.

Once in Adam's Creek and north to ECity....you have a zillion choices to anchor as there is only wind tide and very little current. Till then, just the opposite, not nearly as many pull over and drop the anchor places.

In fact by asking, and the weather....you may want to stay at some inexpensive marinas the first couple nights as you get a better feel for things.

I re-plotted the course today using psneeld advice staying in the ICW the entire trip. Should be smoother sailing, it's only 10 miles shorter.
Thanks for that suggestion.

I travel at 7 knots but the days are usually longer (Fall and Spring). Here is my usual run from Southport:

Southport MM311 (statute mile marker)
Mile Hammock Bay MM 245 66 miles
Oriental NC MM180 65 miles
Pungo River MM 126 54 miles
Elizabeth City MM 50 76 miles

The first three days can be significantly impacted by tidal currents and bridge schedules which may keep you from attaining the planned anchorages, have alternatives planned.

Anchorage information can be found at Active Captain

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom