Dauntless Crosses the Atlantic Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got him about 240nm from closest approach to MQ. About 285nm to go around island to the port on back side. Puts him in port Wed mid day. Using 10am et position and 5.5kts.

French sailor Thomas Coville, circumnavigator, less than 49 days, solo around the world and back home yesterday in France aboard his trimaran... Our new friend Richard, well supported, arriving soon in Martinique after a succesfull passage from Canary aboard a 42 trawler without sails and only one engine, all good news for boaters and sea lovers!
"Homme libre, toujours tu chériras la mer" ( Charles Baudelaire)

WRT Richard's Delorme issues: he's dropping waypoints every 10 minutes, which is hard on battery life, and is really unnecessary when you're in the middle of the Atlantic. Also, I'll bet he has the unit plugged in and constantly under charge. I think he would have been better off with less frequent waypoints and using the battery more. The units also benefit from a cold reboot every so often and reconnecting the blue tooth to the phone.

The final question l asked was on the entire journey did you ever feel life was in danger. He replied with..
(1/2) I'm a scientist
I look at the data
I spent 5+years reading about small boats making long trips
I learned:
1. Climo is critical, wx fcst is not & possible dangerous.

Lastly I looked at accidents & fatalities.Why and where?
Virtually all wi

(1/2) 2. It's ALL about having a well found boat. Was it designed & built to do this?

(1/2) Of course.
Never leave boat until it's sunk.
Father lost his dghtr last yr being rescued by helo in Bay of Biscay in May.
Boat turned up a few months latter.

(1/2) Also, i forgot to mention, the boat must be able to handle a following sea well. That's a show stopper. If you can't run with a storm, you can be hurt

(1/2) We bought the kk42 bc it fit all that criteria. I did not want an electronic engine, then I'd be terrified of every little storm.
(1/2) Lastly, I don't cross the North Atlantic Sept thru May. July is best, followed by first 2 wks Aug, last 2 June, first 2 June, last 2 Aug.

(1/2) That's why i got pommelled the last week Aug 2014.

Jimmy Cornell's books are must use planning guides

So, no I've never been afraid, just really miserable

(1/2) Even Aug 2014, being pommelled, lI knew could turn east and run with it
Therefore there was nothing to be afraid of, I could change course, but didn't
want to
Which again brings us full circle back to the boat.

Last edited:
Today's update from Dauntless.

Day 17
132 24 5.4 kts http://dlor.me/LG7FQWZ (16.3700, -57.1143) - Richard Bost
2016/12/26 09:03:41AM

Actually I believe SAR professionals will tell you that "never leave a ship till it's sunk" or "you have to step up to get off" stuff is BS. If you have the proper equipment.

Waiting to long has probably caused more issues than not.

Just read the Bounty hearings.

Last edited:
Wifey B:

Knowing When to Leave
Go while the going is good
Knowing when to leave may be the smartest thing anyone can learn.

Hal David/ Burt Bacharach

Is there a way go do this trip and not be "miserable"? Maybe more crew and a bigger boat?

Diesel Duck vs. the other

No clue if this fits into this thread, but a "Diesel DucK" owner I repowered a couple of years ago just sent me this.. Might even make for a nice X-mas card...

Hope the Holidays are good for all..

Tony

Attachments

• Diesel Duck & Romsdal Trawler.jpg
    Diesel Duck & Romsdal Trawler.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 120
Got him about 240nm from closest approach to MQ. About 285nm to go around island to the port on back side. Puts him in port Wed mid day. Using 10am et position and 5.5kts.

Richard told me he will target island south tip. This is the best itinary if he can go direct to south. If he would have reached north island tip, would have been better to go by west island coast as the sea is better and there is no hazard along the west coast.

Yes several ways come to mind.

You just named two of them.

A third might be Boeing....

Having crossed oceans more times than I like to remember, there are always challenging points, equipment, personnel, weather; many times a combination of the three which all go awry simultaneously.

The memory of the doing, the first steps on a new Continent or island, the reality that you have in fact completed an ordeal or adventure, depending on perspective, that almost all of our neighbors until the early 30's also braved really can't be beat.

Sure lots of reasons not to do it, but I'd guess like climbing a mountain, because it's there.

A third might be Boeing....

Having crossed oceans more times than I like to remember, there are always challenging points, equipment, personnel, weather; many times a combination of the three which all go awry simultaneously.

The memory of the doing, the first steps on a new Continent or island, the reality that you have in fact completed an ordeal or adventure, depending on perspective, that almost all of our neighbors until the early 30's also braved really can't be beat.

Sure lots of reasons not to do it, but I'd guess like climbing a mountain, because it's there.

For sure there are easier ways to go from A to B like taking a plane but the most rewarding path are rarely the easiest... In this case, the goal is not going from A to B but the accomplishment of the journey.

For sure there are easier ways to go from A to B like taking a plane but the most rewarding path are rarely the easiest... In this case, the goal is not going from A to B but the accomplishment of the journey.

Couldn't agree more. See signature below...

I agree also, I'd like to be part of an adventure like the Dauntless is doing someday. I think it would be cool to be part of a crew, but I think having always 2 on watch like we did coming up the west coast a few years ago makes more sense. I know people circumnavigate solo routinely now, more power to'em. Tip of my hat.

I agree also, I'd like to be part of an adventure like the Dauntless is doing someday. I think it would be cool to be part of a crew, but I think having always 2 on watch like we did coming up the west coast a few years ago makes more sense. I know people circumnavigate solo routinely now, more power to'em. Tip of my hat.

On a boat that size 2 on at all times my be over kill, since no one is to far away in the event of an emergency.

But having more people allows for better watch schedules and lowers the chances of a miserable crossing.

With 4 people you could do 3 hours on and 9 off. Gives everyone a chance to eat, chill and sleep.

Looks like about 135nm to go, depending which way he goes around the island.

Should be in port mid day tomorrow.

All, Richard just told me that he is having problems telling who is messaging him. He asked me to tell ev

All, Richard just told me that he is having problems telling who is messaging him. He asked me to tell everyone to include your name in the message.

This has been a joy to follow! Interesting posts,especially fuel burn calculations. Looking forward to Richards comments about the crossing.

Yes, very interesting following Richard. Makes me realize I have no business trying to make a big crossing. I don't have the weather skills, planning skills, helmsman skills. I'm a decent mechanic and can Macgyver stuff, but that's about it.

Richard is almost done, in few hour he will be able to get some well deserve rest in Martinique and enjoy the warm sun and god rhum!

Yes, very interesting following Richard. Makes me realize I have no business trying to make a big crossing. I don't have the weather skills, planning skills, helmsman skills. I'm a decent mechanic and can Macgyver stuff, but that's about it.

Amen, but we can team up, together we might have one good brain...

Back
Top Bottom