To turbo or not to turbo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeaRay with an NA (normally aspirated)?? Thousands of them. Merry Christmas

:confused: I thought the base subject was about turbocharged diesels.

Here is a question SV, are you planning on buying a diesel powered vessel, if so, which one? Now that could be a fun productive topic.

:confused: I thought the base subject was about turbocharged diesels.

Here is a question SV, are you planning on buying a diesel powered vessel, if so, which one? Now that could be a fun productive topic.

Yes the subject is diesels..... didn't read that clearly.

Don't know what diesel vessel I'd get... but all the one's I've looked at look good and all have their goods and bads. Kadey, Carver, Meridian, SeaRay, and Regal.... will see more after the holiday.

Turbo = fun, in cars that is. We have a couple of twin turbo cars/trucks and they are a pleasure.

Recreational boats? For me, turbos are not fun, give me a NA engine...if possible.

That's all I got...:dance:

Turbo = fun, in cars that is. We have a couple of twin turbo cars/trucks and they are a pleasure.

Recreational boats? For me, turbos are not fun, give me a NA engine...if possible.

That's all I got...:dance:

And I've never owned a non-turbo diesel and had no issues with turbos. I'm afraid this may well be another generational issue, both the generation of the boater and of the engine. Whether the good old days were really as good as remembered, I can't say, as I wasn't there. Reality is that technology advances. Engines today are common rail and turbo and while early versions might have been problematic, they aren't today. In fact, both of those developments are significant advancements.

I don't understand why you'd be a turbo fan in land vehicles and not in water, but gradually it won't matter whether a fan or not, there will be no choice. I've heard stories of how many thought Catalytic Converters on autos were the end of the world as it was known and now we have a generation that has never known anything different.

I don't understand why you'd be a turbo fan in land vehicles and not in water,

The heat exchange is between air and water. And that water happens to be seawater in this case. Seawater is corrosive. Not to mention that if your inter/aftercooler leaks, that seawater goes straight into the intake of your engine.

On this subject, the vast majority of boat owners with high powered turbocharged diesels don't know that aftercoolers require service. A service that can prevent the above from happening. There are boat owners, maybe the B&Bs of the world, that have their engines "serviced" and have no idea what is being done. I mean no disrespect there. My point being you do get into a realm of "managed" boat service where the owner does not know every little detail. So turbodiesels do require a little more vigilance than land based turbo applications and if that vigilance is neglected, the consequences could be severe!!!

The heat exchange is between air and water. And that water happens to be seawater in this case. Seawater is corrosive. Not to mention that if your inter/aftercooler leaks, that seawater goes straight into the intake of your engine.

On this subject, the vast majority of boat owners with high powered turbocharged diesels don't know that aftercoolers require service. A service that can prevent the above from happening. There are boat owners, maybe the B&Bs of the world, that have their engines "serviced" and have no idea what is being done. I mean no disrespect there. My point being you do get into a realm of "managed" boat service where the owner does not know every little detail. So turbodiesels do require a little more vigilance than land based turbo applications and if that vigilance is neglected, the consequences could be severe!!!

Same reason marine engines require more vigilance than car or truck engines. Just part of the deal that we have to maintain.

Although I don't personally do it, I am aware of the service requirements. Part of the every two years service on MAN's, as an example, is Changing Valve Caps on Expansion Tanks, and Cleaning the intercooler, the charge-air pipes, the turbocharger and the heat exchanger. We religiously follow the manual and factory recommended service intervals. These are the only service that is tied only to time, not at all to hours.

Every moment the marine engine is shutdown, the turbo is exposed to 100% humidity from the wet exhaust plumbing that is usually a foot or two away. Cast iron does not like it, especially when its rot changes the dimensions on the turbine housing. Not so much an issue on a natural.

Add to that the soaking wet aftercooler core loaded with condensation after coming off power.

Both these can and do damage the marine turbo diesel. and are generally not an issue on cars. And the manuals just ignore these realities.

Baker, Sounds like you have an aviation background, too... Also fun and expensive as boats but not sure which is worse. When we meet sometime, this is a good subject for cocktail hour......can beat it to death.

That I do. It is what I do for a living. 9 type ratings and 18,000 hours. I will keep a beer cold for you!!!...:)

Back
Top Bottom