New Member from Hong Kong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harvardrvr

Vessel Name
Sea Vixen
Vessel Make
Clipper 48
Hi All

I've just joined the forum, I have a 48 ft Clipper Cordover moored at Hebe Haven Yacht club. I live on board and have owned the boat for just over 4 years.

:flowers: Welcome aboard! This is a great international forum, I hope you can share with us in the future new issues or perspectives.

Welcome Harvardrvr:flowers:--It is so ever interesting to hear from so many parts of the world making the forum a diverse and informative setting.
Your boat is an outstanding rig.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-f... boats))&Service=Boatsales)&pso=0&pss=Premium

I thought the brand name an outside the US market. Trust you will enjoy the forum as much as all of who participate.
Merry Christmas!:noel:

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben marine fly bridge sedan

Welcome aboard, Harvardrvr!

I gotta ask about the screen name...is it

Harvard Rover
Harv Ardvark
Hard Vader
Harvard RVer
Harvard Driver

Oh...and what's a 48 Clipper Cordover look like? Has it got twin diesels or twin sails?

Send pics!!

Last edited:
Hi All

I've just joined the forum, I have a 48 ft Clipper Cordover moored at Hebe Haven Yacht club. I live on board and have owned the boat for just over 4 years.

Knowing the expense of housing in Hong Kong and seeing you're only about 30 minutes away, just curious as to how marina slips and the costs of living aboard compare. I would think that there would be considerable savings, plus a home you can boat with. I see slips are about US$1300 for 15 meters, which seems high to US boaters for a slip that size, but compared to apartment rental rates in Hong Kong, that's cheap as rental of a 900 sq ft apartment is two to three times that amount, depending on location.

Harvard Rover
Harv Ardvark
Hard Vader
Harvard RVer
Harvar Driver

Oh...and what's a 48 Clipper Cordover look like? Has it got twin diesels or twin sails?

Send pics!!

its Harvard driver, as I used to fly T6 Texans which are also known as Harvards. The Clipper Cordover is a Trawler type with twin Cummins QSB 5.9's. Mine are de-rated to 230 HP as I use the boat primarily for cruising and fishing. Its a 3 stateroom layout with single bathroom, flush deck and open flybridge. They are primarily made for the Australian and European (Scandinavian) market. Its a great blue water boat with 650 usg of fuel and 375 usg water tanks.

Harvard Rover
Harv Ardvark
Hard Vader
Harvard RVer
Harvar Driver

Send pics!!

Can't help re the name Al, but here's an example of the Clipper Cordova. I was just reading last night that the new Clipper Series, initially re-launched by an Aussie, are now available worldwide. Great range of modern Trawler style and planing boats. Kinda humbling to realise this whole range of boats was derived initially from vessels like mine, which was one of the first. Great boat you have there, Harvardrvr.

Clipper Cordova 48 | Clipper Motor Yachts

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/tradeaboat-reviews/boats/1007/clipper-cordova-48-review

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=clipper+motor+yachts&qpvt=clipper+motor+yachts&qpvt=clipper+motor+yachts&qpvt=clipper+motor+yachts&FORM=IGRE

Last edited:
Knowing the expense of housing in Hong Kong and seeing you're only about 30 minutes away, just curious as to how marina slips and the costs of living aboard compare. I would think that there would be considerable savings, plus a home you can boat with. I see slips are about US$1300 for 15 meters, which seems high to US boaters for a slip that size, but compared to apartment rental rates in Hong Kong, that's cheap as rental of a 900 sq ft apartment is two to three times that amount, depending on location.

Hi BandB, yes the costs associated with mooring in HK are expensive, but as you correctly stated, so is the housing. My mooring is 15 M and costs $1288 a month, including water but excluding electricity. I know this is high compared to US costs but it is a much better way of living in HK than a city apartment, and a house that you can have fun on. The biggest problem with mooring in HK is that there is none, well very little and waiting lists are in excess of 10 years. So if you don't buy a boat with a mooring you are going to wait a long time on a swing.

The boat looks very much like a Grand Banks type boat to me, appealing to the same type boater.

Hi PeterB. The Clipper name is now exclusively used for the Australian market, while Explorer is the new name for the international market. Both named boats are still built to the same exacting standards in the same factory, but Explorer has a line of new models. The Campion brothers who owned Clipper, own Explorer motor yachts.

Thanks Al.

I hope to make it up to your neck of the woods in the boat at some stage.

Merry Christmas

Thanks Al.

I hope to make it up to your neck of the woods in the boat at some stage.

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you, too, Harvardrvr! I always knew the T6 as a Texan. Harvard is new to me. I see on Wikipedia that it's a common name outside the US. Did you fly for the British Commonweath?

Look me up when you get to NorCal. I'll buy the first beer!

Cheers!

Harvard Rover
Harv Ardvark
Hard Vader
Harvard RVer
Harvard Driver

Send pics!!

:banghead:See post #3 above Flywright-:socool: dealer site

Al:flowers:

Merry Christmas to you, too, Harvardrvr! I always knew the T6 as a Texan. Harvard is new to me. I see on Wikipedia that it's a common name outside the US. Did you fly for the British Commonweath?

Look me up when you get to NorCal. I'll buy the first beer!

Cheers!
Hi FlyWright, I flew the South African Air force (SAAF) Harvards

Welcome aboard harvardrvr!

Sounds like a real interesting life style, and a really nice boat. I didn't realize that you could get a slip that reasonable in Hong Kong.

I've spend many fine days over there, but never got to your part of the area. Mostly Hong Kong Island and north from there up almost to Shenzhen.

Had a good friend who lived in a modest apartment overlooking Stanley Beech... quite expensive. I used to windsurf in that beach... but didn't like the sharks.

Also, great to meet a fellow aviator. Seems like there's a lot of boaters/pilots out there. My friend was also into flying, but moved to Australia to enjoy the water more. Have you been over to the old Kai Tai airport where the flying club is? Kinda neat, but small plane flying in Hong Kong is terribly limited.

When you get to the states, you'll have to look a bunch of us up... perhaps at a trawler event. Suspect you could take that boat of yours here!

Welcome!

Always had an interest in planes.
In the first half of 1965 there were 3 Harvards at Naniamo (Cassidy)
airport.

BUT the plane that really interested me was the P51 Mustang that was
there. Had a spare engine in the hanger.
It was offered to me for purchase. I had just turned 20 and gotten
married (51st anniversary yesterday:flowers:), couldn't afford to
purchase it.
Oh, the price?, $10,000.00 :hide::facepalm:, yes the decimal is
in the right place.

Ted

We first fell in love with a Krogen Manatee North-Sea docked at Hebe Haven. Probably would have ended up with it but it was another 46K to ship it back to Rostock, Germany. You've got a real maritime community with a lot of special boats there. Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome all.
@Seevee, its a great place and yes, there are a lot of pilot/boaters here. Stanley is a great area, but now extremely expensive. No more flying at Kai Tak anymore, its now the cruise ship terminal, although it has a nice typhoon shelter behind it.
@Ted, the RR Merlin would have been a good investment, but only if you had kept it for 40 years or so!!
@healhustler, thats a real shame, but yes we do have an amazing maritime community here, and a very social club.

Harvardrvr

That price was for the P51 and the spare engine.

Ted

Harvardrvr

That price was for the P51 and the spare engine.

Ted

Ah, my apologies. now that would have been a good investment, but married 51 years is just as good!! :banghead::facepalm:

Even better, no apologies needed, that plane would have taken a lot
to keep it going for 51 years. lol

Ted

TFer Hickers has a Clipper 45. Glad to hear the OP has derated engines, they don`t need 450hp times 2. I think the Clipper sells/did sell in the US as a Mariner Yacht, but it had design variations with the versions of the Clipper 40 sold here, which imo is a great boat.We have one coming onto the marina soon, unfortunately it`s not mine.

Welcome to the TF, harvardrvr. This Forum has a good cosmopolitan vibe, which you have now elevated. Hope to see some photos of your boat / community one day.

Back
Top Bottom