Finn 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
I owned one of these many years ago and have always had thoughts of owning another so we could explore the many rivers up and down the east coast . This boat has just come up for sale and I'm very interested pity its a 2 1/2 hour flight or 3 day drive to inspect. Wife has given the OK so we will Inspect it in the new year . This boat has a full set sails and had a resent full refit . If we do purchase we will increase our fleet to 3 one in Sydney 1 on the Myall Lakes and another beside the house at home LOL is it better to have one big one or 3 little ones ????PMSL

$_20.JPG

Last edited:
You guys have some funny looking boats down there. :)

Really like the appearance and concept of the Finn 8. A somewhat larger version could offer a lot to like! To "gaston's" last question, one can't have too many boats!

Doesn`t TFer Bogranjac1 have one of these? Not a sail version but similar, he has used it in Queensland, and Western Australia, seemed to find it seaworthy and good for cruising. He was trailering it behind a substantial 4WD, maybe even camping in it between launchings.
Memory is these were sold here in 2 versions, years ago, I don`t recall a sailing version, might be worth checking if that is factory original or later addition.
The "?coming or going" reminds me of a Studebaker circa 1950.

Doesn`t TFer Bogranjac1 have one of these? Not a sail version but similar, he has used it in Queensland, and Western Australia, seemed to find it seaworthy and good for cruising. He was trailering it behind a substantial 4WD, maybe even camping in it between launchings.
Memory is these were sold here in 2 versions, years ago, I don`t recall a sailing version, might be worth checking if that is factory original or later addition.
The "?coming or going" reminds me of a Studebaker circa 1950.

Indeed he does, and he posted some nice photos of it a while back, on a thread titled "Dampier Archipeligo," here: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s40/dampier-archipelago-28383.html#post488373

Hey Gaston,
She looks pretty clean and a new gelcoat too by the looks.
I really like the rolling chocks that have been added by somebody - if you buy her Gaston I would like some pics of them and the specs plz as I will build some for Nimiane.
Is she listed on the web for sale if so plz send a link.
To the question about sails - Yes the Finn8 did have the option of a mast and sails that were supplied from the builder as I have learnt.

A member here sent me some info on where the boats originated, here is the link below

Venepori Oy - Kauppiaat - Venepalsta

You guys have some funny looking boats down there. :)

I've long thought that you could make a nice cruising boat by adding a fore-cabin to a pnw bowpicker. Looks like the Finns have beat me to it.

Attachments

• bowpicker.jpg
    bowpicker.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 206
other example:

Attachments

• bowpicker2.jpg
    bowpicker2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 217
nice boat! I remember a small baltic I saw during the '80 at europe..

Hi Gaston
I also have a Finn 8 that I purchased recently.
I had a Finn 7 about 10 years ago which I enjoyed very much.
I'm about to launch her in Mallacoota.
She's got a 30hp Iveco engine that seems to run very well.
The boat is a 1986 model.
Is there anything that I should know before launching her,Im sure there is much to know
that I will gain with experience.
Cheers
Vince

Hi Gaston
I also have a Finn 8 that I purchased recently.
I had a Finn 7 about 10 years ago which I enjoyed very much.
I'm about to launch her in Mallacoota.
She's got a 30hp Iveco engine that seems to run very well.
The boat is a 1986 model.
Is there anything that I should know before launching her,Im sure there is much to know
that I will gain with experience.
Cheers
Vince
Vince, we lost Gaston a while back, but bogranjac1 posting above has one. He should reply, otherwise send him a PM

Thanks Bruce for letting me know.
Vince
Forgot to mention,fwiw,there is a sailing version with mast(less sure about the boom still there) on a mooring at our marina at Brooklyn NSW.

Hi Guys
Has anyone used the 30hp Iveco engine in their boat.
I'm doing a tuneup on it at the moment, any wisdom.
Cheers
V

Thanks Bruce for letting me know.
Vince
VeeYay
Hi welcome to the finn8 club.
While your boat is on the hard
do you know the size of your propeller by any chance ? If so can you post it or PM me please.
Can't help you with the motor questions - mine has the Yanmar 3GMD20 (same as that one Bruce mentioned in Brooklyn)

P.S. Bruce. I'm bringing Nimiane down to the Hawkesbury/Brokenbay area from Townsville in February so hopefully will catch-up with you
Regards for Christmas, Brett

Last edited:
Hi
Im just about to buy a Finn 8.
You said it had a 30hp Iveco in it.
What was your cruising speed please?
Roo

Hi
Just bought a Fin 8 in Brisbane.
What was the comfortable cruising speed of yours please?
Replacing the diesel with electric so trying to get a good match.
Cheerx

It took me a little time, but from the rudder/prop placement I was able to figure which end was the front.

pete

Hi
I just bought a Finn 8.
Could you please tell me if you know it, the hull speed, cruising speed and best prop for this little vessel?

Hi
Im just about to buy a Finn 8.
You said it had a 30hp Iveco in it.
What was your cruising speed please?
Roo

Hi
Just bought a Fin 8 in Brisbane.
What was the comfortable cruising speed of yours please?
Replacing the diesel with electric so trying to get a good match.
Cheerx

Hi
I just bought a Finn 8.
Could you please tell me if you know it, the hull speed, cruising speed and best prop for this little vessel?

Dude...slow down. Posts 1 and 2 were 1 minute apart. Post 3 was less than 2 hrs later.

It's a slow boat... chill and enjoy the hunt.

Looking for info on trailers for Finn 8

Hi All, I have a Finn 8 in Lake Macquarie NSW that is currently moored but I would like to buy a trailer for.

bogranjac1 and all, just wondering what trailer you all find that works well.

Cheers and keen to hear your thoughts, Ammon.

finn 8

Hi Ammonweb
My Finn 8 hasn't been in the water since I purchased it, the engine has a few problems mostly heat exchanger corrosion.I've now replaced/repaired the problem and she'll be in the water this summer.
I purchased the boat with a trailer in v.good condition so I don't know it's history, purchase/maker etc.
They are a great fun boat,I had a Finn 7 about ten years ago and have now updated to suit the family, it's better than a caravan as I love the water.
All the best with your search.
Cheers
Veejay

Hi Ammonweb
My Finn 8 hasn't been in the water since I purchased it, the engine has a few problems mostly heat exchanger corrosion.I've now replaced/repaired the problem and she'll be in the water this summer.
I purchased the boat with a trailer in v.good condition so I don't know it's history, purchase/maker etc.
They are a great fun boat,I had a Finn 7 about ten years ago and have now updated to suit the family, it's better than a caravan as I love the water.
All the best with your search.
Cheers
Veejay
Hi @Veejay, thanks for your reply! All the best with getting the boat in the water and getting out with the family. What engine do you have in it? Mine has the 30HP Yanmar. Seems to go well and only burns about 1.8l of diesel an hour, can't complain about that.

Cheers,
Ammon

Back
Top Bottom