Hello from the Rockies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YODABOAT

I'm thinking of doing the Great Loop and joined the forum hoping to share what I learn along the way and ask many questions as well.

why YODABOAT? I couldn't think of anything better? I built a camper van I call YODAVAN(spin off of You-Da-Man) so I figured keep it simple LOL.

I've owned two boats both 17' open bow that we would water ski with. I don't have any experience with larger boats that I can live on during the Great Loop. I like the Praire 29 for it's fuel economy, livability and is closer to what I could afford. Also thinking it might be easier to handle as a solo traveler. I am open to suggestions.

I'll be needing training on all matters of doing the Great Loop. Navigation, Maintenance of the boat, how to handle the boat in a lock as a solo, Anchoring, docking etc.... So suggestions as to where to get started would be great. Experience is the best teacher.... but getting some basics from someone that's been there sounds like a good plan.

Looking forward to the next adventure.

-P

Chapman's "Piloting, Seamanship & Smallboat Handling".

There are other resources you will discover as you go, but this is the most readable comprehensive tome. We all have it, or once did; in its 67th edition. Buy used for less than $10.

'prof

Last edited:
I crossed rideau canal with it 48 locks earlier this year and while it is not so difficult I would say that to do that in solo will be pretty tricky, not for departing from the lock but more for docking to it.
About docking you can call the marina ahead and there will always be someone to give a hand.
People with more experience may have different opinion though.

Welcome to the forum! The Loop will be a great adventure for you. Start smaller and develop your skills.

Ted

I crossed rideau canal with it 48 locks earlier this year and while it is not so difficult I would say that to do that in solo will be pretty tricky, not for departing from the lock but more for docking to it.
About docking you can call the marina ahead and there will always be someone to give a hand.
People with more experience may have different opinion though.

I've been wondering about how best to setup a boat and prepare for handling the locks on my own. Would a bow thruster be helpful in the locks? how have others done it alone?

Welcome to the forum! The Loop will be a great adventure for you. Start smaller and develop your skills.

Ted

If I can make this happen it will be an awesome adventure for sure. I'm confident with handling my 17 footer but it's a big jump to a 29' Boat, there is going to be a learning curve for sure.

If I can make this happen it will be an awesome adventure for sure. I'm confident with handling my 17 footer but it's a big jump to a 29' Boat, there is going to be a learning curve for sure.

I'm a newbie and solo handled my 41' boat most of the way back from FL to Texas. Had my share of screw ups but that's all in the fun.

Ted

I was referring to a smaller adventure, not a smaller boat.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom