Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Curious if anyone can comment on GIG rowing boats as a tender? I like the 10' customized a little to make it show nice and can live with the 6 knots using a 2hp OB. The option of rowing for exercise makes this these boats an interesting alternative to the typical RIB. Thanks

John
Helmsman 38E
John,
If the Gig Harbor 10 has a FD anything like my 12' GH Defiance it will not reach hull speed w 2hp or any similar engine. The 10 (probably 9'6'' WLL) will have a hull speed of 4 knots. The 10' Gig Harbor may have a semi-planing hull that would make hull speed w a 3 or 4hp OB working hard. But unless you're working the 2hp OB hard you're looking at 1hp. I have a 2hp Yamaha and the noise working hard is not pleasant.
I'm not familiar w the 10' GH boat so it may have a semi-planing hull and thus may be capable of more speed .. perhaps 5 .. or even 6 knots w a 5 or 6hp OB.
We have a yellow sailboat semi-planing hull dinghy (see pic) that ran about 7 or 8 knots cruising w a 6hp 2cyl Johnson OB. But the yellow dink is nowhere near a FD hull. Look at how the bottom of the dink aft runs upward as one goes aft. As a FD hull the bottom would run upwards to the extent that the transom would be out of the water as my 12' GH Defiance is. But my yellow dink would only have her transom out of the water at rest w no one or any other weight in the boat. But w a planing hull (having a straight run aft from ahmidships) the transom would be below the WL. The 10' GH is probably like my 10' yellow dink. A semi displacement hull.
The GH boats are great boats and you'll probably love it .. but probably at a considerably lower speed than your post suggests.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71273 copy.jpg   DSCF0878 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote