Calculate distance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keb

Is there a website tool to input a starting point, bearing and speed to approx distance traveled in a given time?

Simple: 60D=s*t, or s=60d/t or t=60d/s remember all solutions in time are in minutes, time in knots and distance in nautical miles.

I'm having a "moment" this morning ... so 6.5 knots x 24 hours = 156nm? And in a bit of a rush.:banghead:

I'm having a "moment" this morning ... so 6.5 knots x 24 hours = 156nm? And in a bit of a rush.:banghead:

Yes. If you averaged 6.5 knots over a 24 hr period, you will have covered 156nm.

Yes. If you averaged 6.5 knots over a 24 hr period, you will have covered 156nm.

And you will be mighty tired!

You can figure out this stuff with a calculator or even on paper if you remember your math schooling.

Is there a website tool to input a starting point, bearing and speed to approx distance traveled in a given time?

We've been using Visual Passage Planner. Ok for coastal but better for open water. You can enter your vessel performance characteristics and the month then pick your course for the seasonal changes and you can get a passage report. It also has world wide current and pilot charts. It's tool only. :)

Digital Wave - Visual Passage Planner

The Navionics app will do this with its route planner on an iPad or iPhone. It will even give you fuel burn if you enter all the vessels details.

If you can't do basic time-speed-distance calculations, with or without a calculator, you probably shouldn't go out of the harbor.

The Navionics app will do this with its route planner on an iPad or iPhone. It will even give you fuel burn if you enter all the vessels details.

This is the coolest feature that was just added to the android versions of Navionics this week. It seems to work great with dock-to-dock auto-routing with just 2 clicks on the map to indicate start and stop points.

It gives me route distance, time and fuel burn (based upon boat settings).

I agree with the suggestion that if you're not up to speed on the fundamentals, it might not be a bad idea to take an online initial or refresher course. Unless we use the skills regularly, we risk losing them.

Be safe, stay dry, have fun.

Last edited:
For god sake don't tell that to a Polynesian fisherman :D

I was thinking the same thing about the boaties in the Torres Straits. Those guys live on the water but there's got to be at least one SAR per week and 90% of those are for fuel exhaustion.

Al that's interesting the android version of Navionics has just got the fuel calculation feature. The latest iPad version allows connection to the wi fi on an MFD and it work really well,

Brett

If you can't do basic time-speed-distance calculations, with or without a calculator, you probably shouldn't go out of the harbor.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Even with all the websites, telephones and "apps", you really should have a set of basic skills to operate a boat.

I routinely look on the chart, determine how far I want to go that day and knowing my boat's average cruising speed, determine how long it should take to get there and what time I need to start to get there at a specific time.

It never occurred to me that I would need a website or special app to do that.

Let's not be too harsh. ?

Some thoughts...
- Many here on TF have been navigating since they were young. Given our collective ages, that was a very long time ago.
- Those new to boating are used to smartphones with integrated gps and Navigation systems in cars. Our cars even tell us how many miles till we run out of fuel and worn us when we hit 50 miles remaining.
- There are some with way more skill and navigation experience than I will ever have who don't use paper charts anymore but rely on redundant electronic systems.
- Some folks don't recall that Distance=Velocity x Time since they may not have thought about that since junior high school nor may recall their algebra to know that D=VT also means that D/V=T.

So let's point out the new electronic tools that we all use but at the same time offer some direction where folks who have the interest can learn the basics of marine navigation and how to use the basic protractor, parallel rules, divider and hand compass.

It has been too many decades since I learned it so I am no help. Can anyone offer up a good, basic resource for the beginner on how to plot course, bearing, distance with a navigation chart?

Take a course through the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Take a course through the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Great suggestion for those with the time. However there must be some basic resources out there. Most folks here are smart enough to figure things from reading. Although my son's generation can only seem to learn by watching a YouTube video.

I think Chapman's has a pretty good basic navigation section.

Great suggestion for those with the time. However there must be some basic resources out there. Most folks here are smart enough to figure things from reading. Although my son's generation can only seem to learn by watching a YouTube video.

They said that about books many years ago . Isn't it learning that's important not how you did it ?

Nothing (relating to this topic) is as essential as taking a paper chart of an unknown area such as Norfolk and the Chesapeake and drawing lines, adjusting for deviation and variation (TVMDC True Virgins Make Dull Company). Not only do you figure out how to plot a course but you learn what stuff on the chart means. This is really good when your chart plotter craps out, your cell phone dies and visibility goes to 1/4 mile.

Hard to imagine there isn't someone around the marina that can't help with the basics...especially a licensed captain should be able to handle showing the very basics.

I would certainly do it over a couple cool ones and a burger on the grill....:thumb:

Good suggestions. Not to be confusing, but I actually do have a pretty good understanding of coastal navigation. My question was for those that might be new to the process and could use some specific direction.

Can anyone offer up a good, basic resource for the beginner on how to plot course, bearing, distance with a navigation chart?
Digging through Amazon's offerings I found two books that should give a good intro to the fundamentals of traditional coastal navigation as well as electronic navigation.

Boat Navigation for the Rest of Us: Finding Your Way By Eye and Electronics 2nd Edition and Coastal Navigation Using GPS: For Sail and Power

If you want to dig deeper into learning navigation consider Boater's Bowditch: The Small Craft American Practical Navigator

I find it comforting to have the fundamental skills to navigate with paper charts and minimal tools. It's come in handy occasionally when the fancy gizmos take an unscheduled break. I also think that having a working knowledge of the basics helps me get more out of the electronics.

Digging through Amazon's offerings I found two books that should give a good intro to the fundamentals of traditional coastal navigation as well as electronic navigation.

Boat Navigation for the Rest of Us: Finding Your Way By Eye and Electronics 2nd Edition and Coastal Navigation Using GPS: For Sail and Power

If you want to dig deeper into learning navigation consider Boater's Bowditch: The Small Craft American Practical Navigator

I find it comforting to have the fundamental skills to navigate with paper charts and minimal tools. It's come in handy occasionally when the fancy gizmos take an unscheduled break. I also think that having a working knowledge of the basics helps me get more out of the electronics.

Good suggestions. That first one looks like a good Christmas present for son an Amazon will get it to me before Christmas.

I agree. I feel better knowing the basics. I also like to practice those skills with paper charts despite my plotters.

Some boat in waters where hitting a pass at slack is standard fare. Currents, winds, waves and visibility enter into the equation. It can get complicated, well beyond a simple time and distance calculation. Especially when daily distances eclipse two tide changes.

We have some friends who are super predicted log racers. Last year they entered a team competition. Traveled to SoCal from Seattle, each got on a strange boat and team finished first. These types of people are at the pinnacle of time and distance predictors. This type of competition is well beyond 100 years in existence. Started well before chart plotters, apps and Google were ever thought of.

Hard to imagine there isn't someone around the marina that can't help with the basics...especially a licensed captain should be able to handle showing the very basics.

I would certainly do it over a couple cool ones and a burger on the grill....:thumb:

For that kind of reward, I could maybe even hum a few bars about the effects of set and drift, too.

:)

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom