Dauntless Crosses the Atlantic Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One more thing, may be: engine noise even loud. When tired, you can be anxious and hear "strange noises"..

The engine noise on Dauntless is not bad at all, just a nice background noise.

Later,
Dan

The engine noise on Dauntless is not bad at all, just a nice background noise.

Later,
Dan

Yeah, only two people to keep watch while wallowing 24/7 in large following seas listening to the gentle purring of a Ford Lehman and then getting day after day of mediocre sleep.

Sounds quite relaxing. :socool:

Yeah, only two people to keep watch while wallowing 24/7 in large following seas listening to the gentle purring of a Ford Lehman and then getting day after day of mediocre sleep.

Reminds me of the old days, only interrupted by meal time and flight quarters.....:D

Although Dauntless could be faster than some of the tubs I sailed on....:eek:

To be fair, proud old tubs.

Richard is living exactly why I don't have any desire to cross an ocean in a small vessel, no matter how exhilarating in moments or satisfying when done....too many miles of wallowing for me.

On a 80 foot cat or sleek clipper...that I might try....:thumb:

Message from Richard, this afternoon, 12h56 local time in Europe. He didn't look happy:" How many miles did you do a day? I'm crawling st 133 nm/day (...)". I answered to him it was very good, during my passage I was happy with 120 nm per day considering a rough crossing, with some storms and big waves.

Two as crew is going to lead to getting tired. Long trips, heck this is not merely long, but better described as epic!!- three crew really works.

On most trips we would do three or four hour shifts. Seemed to work ok. On last trip I rode as engineer/helmsman and that boat did two hour shifts. Two on, four off. I thought it was weird, but it really worked. Shifts went by in a breeze, enough time to get decent sleep.

I hope these two hang in there. Seas look about the same for the near future, that is tiring as heck. Got about a little over a week to go...

Once he has a good handle on remaining fuel, he might consider kicking up the speed a bit.

But it`s better than being solo.

Depends, what makes for worse odds? One tired person to F up or two? :D

4 people would be great on a trip like that. 3 hours on and 9 off.

Time to eat, chill/fish/read and get some real sleep.

Richard is living exactly why I don't have any desire to cross an ocean in a small vessel, no matter how exhilarating in moments or satisfying when done....too many miles of wallowing for me.
:iagree: but I really respect what Richard is doing!

Curently Richard watch rotation is as follow:
From 22 to 4 - Micah
From 4 to 10 - Richard
From 10 to 22 - both.
When they are both up they get some nap.
Yesterday morning he was a bit tired for his watch but looks like he is managing this well.

They just get pelted by flying fishes now once it is dark :)

Yes it is. What is not relaxing is beam seas and an engine suddenly making no sound.... :nonono:

Later,
Dan

When I compare the size of a bee with the one of a flying fish, I imagine the mess on the windshield! :D

Richard just took his watch for the 11th day at sea, here some update:

Winds are down to mid to high teens.
Best ride we've had in days but hardly significantly better.

On the first crossing, he was solo only for the last half of the trip. (The short part)

Some do some dream

Attachments

• IMG_9453.jpg
    IMG_9453.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 258
Some do some dream

And... Some dream of doing things... while doing things that previously were also only a dream!

Dreams can become reality. They also can be put on hold or dashed - depending on life circumstances. But, then, new dreams form when minds are active... with intent for them to become reality!

Dream on young man, dream on! Author unknown, to me anyway.

Some fresh news from Richard:

2016 Atlantic Passage Day 11
Still same old story 137 24:00 5.7 20°39.459, 43°41.927 Wx SctCu 7+ 1019 79°56°81° 09018g25
Seas predominant east 10 to 15', occasionally SE & NE P+1.8/-1.5. R+16/-08 extreme +23/-20 30'.
Whale sighting 40' off starboard beam.
Fuel estimation: 405g remaining, 295 used, average 1.06g/hr or 5.8nm/gal

Avg spd 5.7 kts

So his 24 hour average speed with 137 Nm in 24 hours made good is 5.7 Kts. & has a Very good fuel burn at average 1.06g/hr or 5.8nm/gal.
11 days with 295 gal used is 26.818 gal per day.
So back when we were guessing for the 7 days - 187.6 gal used looks about right.
I went & looked at Delordo web-site on the In-reach dots of the course made good & see for each hour a slight different speed shown. Some are up to 8 knots & others are down to 4 knots. Maybe that is from currents or maybe it is instrument error or maybe just seaweed caught on the fish stabilizers.
So from the web-site - Last ten hours I averaged them & it was 5.845 Kts, so maybe he is picking up a little equatorial current for a tenth of a knot or so.
I asked him last night if he slowed down at night & he said he is keeping constant 1500 rpm day & night, so he is not changing his speed that he knows of.
m.

Last edited:
quick question

Lou -- Quick question.

the temps -- 79° 56° 81° -- what are they for ?

Due point ?

Or is one the high & the other the low in last 24 hours ?

then what is the third one ?

thanks.

mike

post #266
10am est
79 air temp
81 water temp

I thought the 1019 was the Baro. reading off the ships barometer in millibars ?

There were three temps.

79°
56°
81°

So I guessed one was maybe water temp - so that is the bottom one

& the other one was maybe the days high temp - the first one.

The other one in the middle the low which is what it dropped to at night for air temp.

OK

next

the " extreme +23/-20 30'." - the last number "30 foot" - is that the wave height highest they saw that day ?

Thanks.

mike

Last edited:
I imagined sailing my own boat across the seas. But that's not really me. Instead of purchasing a diesel duck, chose the gunkholing Coot. Prefer day sails and short trips between marinas and restaurants. Done several trans-Atlantic and USA-Hawaiian trips, but that was on cruise ships. Good thing too. Experienced a couple of hurricanes and fifty-foot waves. Glad not to experience that in a small boat. ... Small boat trans-oceanic cruisers, I salute you!

Some explanation about this part:

Wx SctCu 7+ 1019 79°56°81° 09018g25

Meaning:

Wx: Current weather
SctCu: Scattered Cumulus clouds
7+: 7+miles visibility
1019: Air Pressure 1019 milibars
79°56°81°: Air temp 79° dew point 56 Water temp 81
09018g25: Winds from 090 at 18 knots with gusts to 25 kts

It is similar to METAR weather reporting format.
More info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/METAR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom