39 Halvorsen Observations after two seasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legend

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Our Legend
Vessel Make
Halvorsen 39 Hard Top Express
I thought this would be a decent place to document Our Legend's performance after a couple seasons.

As the second owner of this boat (1996) we have had a lot to learn. Not new to boating by any means, power / sail, large / small over several decades.

Powered by two 3126 Cats, she runs ideally at 16kts, burining 16gph. Not bad as she weighs in at abuut 32,000 lbs on the travel lift with half fuel. She carries two 200 gal fuel tanks and two 100 gallon fresh water tanks and finally a 40 gal waste.

With her deep forefoot she can handle almost any sea except stern following quarter seas. In that case she wants to roll her shoulder, however, I've learned to be very aggressive with the tabs and am able to counter almost all of it.

Elegant? Yes. Turns heads, yes. Quite fun actually because even the most salty mariner will come up and say he/she has never seen one before. I say, of course, its the only one.

Engine room is tight, but not nearly as tight as my previous Sabreline 36. Both come though with clear sailing traditions which bleed over into design.

Some things are not well thought out, but once you figure out its fine. Such as the coolant fill tanks are located under the helm seat behind a drawer, which must be removed to examine and a seat that must be removed in order to fill.

My wife and I love the island double bed and private state room with separate shower. I upgraded the first generation Atlantis head over the summer, to a modern top of the line one (9 hours later) and we even love that now.

The large refrigerator and freezer are both outstanding and powered by grunert.

Topside paint this winter. Sometime in her history she had a marginal paint job which we are now correcting. Really looking forward to that.

This past year we also added a Olsen David system with our new tender. Really expanded the cruising options.

My thoughts for now.

Ps. I need to find weather stripping . Leads welcome. I talked to Mark Halvorsen by email and he said the company is out of business. Any custom options?

You might send Mark Halvorsen`s email to bridgeguy, who recently started a thread about an IG49 with some questions.
Might your boat have started life with paint? I seem to remember a review which indicated they may. Plus is, the second painting needs less surface filling than the first.

Yes started with paint as far as I know but according to ships log had a second paint job around 2002. Apparently painted too fast without allowing proper curing of primer. I believe we have the right people on it now. Looking forward to good results.

Thanks Bruce

Winter work. Paint top sides and new non skids. Updating the color from the gray to an off white. Should really update things. A bit of necessary engine work. I look forward to sharing photos when done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom