Update on trawler purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bakeract

Hi everyone, it's been a while I know and I apologize for not resonding quickly in my last post about the Choey Lee.(http://www.trawlerforum.com/t41875987/hi-there/?page=1&sort=oldestFirst)

Work has been quite demanding and I'm an "add" type so I get distracted easy. Anyway, I decided ultimitely that the Choey was not the boat for me. I really, really wanted it to be, but I had to take a hard look at myself and what I wanted and needed and it just didn't fit.

I rethought things and am going with this:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...eck-Trawler-1328737/Ft-Myers/FL/United-States

It has what I want, the survey had some issues but the bottom, although nearing the end of the paint's useful life is pretty decent...odd though it had a bolt drilled through the hull and into the bilge hooked up to a grounding wire..that was kinda odd.

If anyone has some experience with this style and year of boat please feel free to advise. I am getting it and should close soon. I did some decent homework and read a review on it. But would really like to hear some real life experiences with it and how others may have liked it or not.

Very excited to have this dream, right there at my fingertips.

Thanks and have a great day!

Tom

Nice one-- Looks like you can have a great time with this boat.

I knew a teacher who bought a 36Gulfstar new in 1974,* She really enjoyed it and had no big problems with it.

Good Luck** JohnP

Hi Tom - this looks to be an exceptional deal. I've never experienced GulfStars but see them around and only hear good things about them - well, except that they tend to roll a fair bit, but that is often the signature of a sea kindly hull.

Good luck on your purchase and enjoy her!

the bolt*might be for a Single Side band* (SSB) radio or simply a grounding bolt.* What is the wire connected to?

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited. I'll be getting her next weekend to bring over to this side of Florida. Going to cut through Lake Okeechobee. I need to check on the lock status and see how that looks nowadays. Hopefully they got some rain up there.

I'll have to double check on the bolt wire..it looked like a ground.

Good Luck on the trip. We purchased a 38 Gulfstar 38 a little over a year ago and are thrilled with the quality and the way she handles. Fiberglass tanks, good wiring and plumbing, Perkins engines. You made a great choices. Gulfstar built a solid boat.

Bakeract wrote:
Thanks everyone! I'm very excited. I'll be getting her next weekend to bring over to this side of Florida. Going to cut through Lake Okeechobee. I need to check on the lock status and see how that looks nowadays. Hopefully they got some rain up there.

I'll have to double check on the bolt wire..it looked like a ground.
*Went through the Okeechobee May 1st and 2nd.* A little over 4' of water in the channel from the lake to Clewiston.* We got through by the hair of our chinny, chin, chin with about 1' to spare.* Watch the depth as it is coral rock bottom.* We found shallow water from about marker 6 to 10.* That is a pretty long stretch.* Check with the Corps of Engineers wesite for lake level and navigatable depths.* The Franklin and St. Lucie locks were on a 7-1-7 schedule.* The other locks were on demand.* Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom