View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Bb. "...like most of the things I first learned to fix as a teenager?" You raise the ultimate problem. The days are fast approaching where a "concussive adjustment" will not effect a repair and possibly make matters worse.
Our daughter got a new car and when I looked under the hood the first thing that crossed my mind is "where is the engine?" Other than checking the engine and transmission oil there are no user serviceable items. The manual is a 300 page volume which explains in detail the adjustment of the 5 zone heat/air conditioning and seat and headrest adjustment among a plethora of other "adjustments". I noticed several places that mentioned possible malfunctions with the solution for every one being "see your dealer".
Each year they move further away from mechanical and more toward electronics in terms of maintenance and repair. You analyze with equipment, not sound and experience. Those who are best in maintenance are those with mechanical and electronic knowledge and aptitude. More and more you can plug in a little box and find out what the problem is, especially what made the warning light come on. More and more, the person who doesn't have the equipment to analyze, the manual, and any special tools, can't do the job.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote