KK42, GB42, DeFever 44: Help me decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcpip95

It's most likely going to be one of these 3. I'm getting wrapped around my axle studying them. Can't think straight any longer. Need a "disinterested third party's" viewpoint/opinion.

Going to want:
1. to put paravanes on it
2. something where engine(s) is/are easy to maintain (prefer single engine)
3. something that can be managed by one person (probably one person, but "maybe" two people).
4. Prefer NOT galley down
5. Prefer more galley space than salon space.
6. A swim platform big enough to get in/out with SCUBA gear on.
7. Function over form. Don't care what other people think about "style".
8. Fiberglass.

Assuming all things being equal (properly maintained by PO, etc.), what are your thoughts on these? Looking to keep it to $250k turnkey.

Deceived hands down for me, I'm a little partial though.

I have a GB42. Your first two needs, which usually are in order of importance, eliminate a GB. Will you be crossing large bodies of water or stick to the coast?

I have a GB42. Your first two needs, which usually are in order of importance, eliminate a GB. Will you be crossing large bodies of water or stick to the coast?

Yes! LOL

And correct: #1 & 2 are in priority order.

Will be looking to do Thorny Path and Mona Passage. Base in USVI and run south out of the box in hurricane season.

The Defever and GB have twins, but you say you prefer a single engine.
GB is hard chined other 2 are round bottom.
Gotta go slow with paravanes. Why have twins if you're doing 6kts? Pick the KK.

I'm not disagreeing with the conclusion of appropriate boat, but there are a few single engine GB 42's

I think a single GB42 would be a good option; a few were ordered with that configuration. Dawdler, look for "Sherrie Lynn" near Sausalito. She's a GB32 with twins! One of six produced by GB.

OP, where you'll be boating, I'd take a long and serious look at the KK with a single and fish already engineered and installed.

Is Paravanes an absolute and stabilizers unacceptable?

Paravanes are HIGHLY DESIRABLE, but if not stabilizers would be acceptable. I'd really like something that I can deploy at anchor, hence the paravanes.

These are paravanes.

paravanes1.jpg

One vote for the Defever from me.
Doesn't tick a few boxes on the list thought.
However generally they are a good seaboat.
They have a great engine room for their length and generally a lot of living room for their size.
I like twins for the usual reasons and the boat is quite economical to run.
Fin stabilisers work with the flick of a switch which is nice,playing with paravanes in rough weather is something I am happy to avoid.
Every boat is a compromise in the end.
All the boats your looking at are good, your should be happy whichever you choose.
Happy hunting.

Your eight "wants" are leading you to a Krogen 42. The Krogen 42 is not a great boat for single handling. It lacks rear vision if you steer from the pilot house which makes docking risky for a single handler. If you dock from the flybridge as a single hander you have trouble handing off the lines. With its windage the Krogen 42 is not a boat you can glide into a slip and expect it to stay in place while you climb the stairs to get to the lines.

The other two boats you mention also do not meet all your requirements. The GB 42 is a great coastal cruiser but is semi-displacement. A semi-displacement boat is not my personal choice for the Mona Passage (actually I would prefer a submarine or aircraft carrier when making that trip). Most GB42s come with twin engines. Easier boat however for a single hander to dock.

Don't know if there are different models of the Defever 44. The ones I have seen are the sundeck models with twin engines. The Defever 44 is a full displacement boat.

Both the Defever 44 and the GB42 have the master stateroom aft. These are larger staterooms than on the Krogen 42 and that would be great. The downside is that at anchor they are not located where they will catch the prevailing wind. The bow cabin on the Krogen 42 has a hatch which funnels wind directly to the berth. If you are going to the Caribbean you will be at anchor a great deal of time and the evenings are still in the high seventies and low eighties.

For the Caribbean you should be happy with either the Defever or the Krogen. Try and find a good boat to buy. If you can find one with paravanes or stabilizers already installe you may find that that it the better choice for you.

Since you are looking at old boats don't forget about prior care and maintenance. The "perfect" boat that has deck and window leaks is no fun. Then holes in fuel tanks, aged exhaust system, high hour trashed engine and on and on.

Anal, open check book, updated 1000 hour service, new (2009) mattress etc are all sales terms that need to be investigated by using lots of shoe leather. Internet shopping is fun, addictive and all too often not met with a thumbs up when the boat is seen in the flesh.

There are many older boats that are very nice in most respects, but not all. Brand name from the factory has little to do with it, care and attention along the way does. All the boats you cite started out OK, the question is what is their status now?

Enjoy the real search, dock walking.

With very similar requirements I was sold on the KK42. Problem was that all the ones I looked at turned out to be in terrible condition. Of course I wasn't comfortable spending as much as 250k on such an old boat. Good luck!

All 3 are excellent vessels and have their pros and cons. As others have mentioned you need to get out there and have a good look around. Get on as many as possible. I can only speak to the KK42: The decks and fuel tanks can be issues. It's best if you can find a vessel that's had a thorough refit. Look for Larry's recent thread on his engine room work on the General Maintenance Forum to see what is involved if you must replace the fuel tanks. However, the last I checked, Larry's boat isn't for sale and neither is mine! You need to be choosey. That's my advice.

Also, it's important to be realistic with yourself and your goals. Getting into a boat like these is a very big decision.

Jim

Paravanes are HIGHLY DESIRABLE, but if not stabilizers would be acceptable. I'd really like something that I can deploy at anchor, hence the paravanes.

You can get stabilizers that are helpful at anchor. Zero speed stabilizers. There are a lot of different options of stabilizers and more being developed all the time. For a boat that size, we're really impressed with Side Power/Sleipner and their vector fins.

Stabilizer revolution - Side-Power

I had to chuckle "Need a "disinterested third party's" viewpoint/opinion." I suspect with what we all have invested 'disinterested' may be tough to find. Found this item (although a marketing blurb) which you may find helpful. In our case, your list of 2-8 are satisfied with the GB42. I think you may find weather deck level pilot house with both port and starboard doors a real benefit if you are alone. Also would consider a deck layout that is easy to maneuver on when one needs to hustle from one end to the other.

Our twin 6BTA's are in-line sixes and although it's been years since I wore a 34" trouser, I can still get entirely around the engines. As noted above, our first concern was care and feeding. We discarded all vessels where it was obvious original wiring layouts, plumbing runs and materials were hacked up, modified and no longer would match manuals. Be cautious of the seaborne myths about this or that on a vessel. Many of the things we were warned about were of no merit. Our surveyors both declared her extremely well cared for and fit for service.

Good hunting

Your eight "wants" are leading you to a Krogen 42. The Krogen 42 is not a great boat for single handling. It lacks rear vision if you steer from the pilot house which makes docking risky for a single handler. If you dock from the flybridge as a single hander you have trouble handing off the lines. With its windage the Krogen 42 is not a boat you can glide into a slip and expect it to stay in place while you climb the stairs to get to the lines.

The other two boats you mention also do not meet all your requirements. The GB 42 is a great coastal cruiser but is semi-displacement. A semi-displacement boat is not my personal choice for the Mona Passage (actually I would prefer a submarine or aircraft carrier when making that trip). Most GB42s come with twin engines. Easier boat however for a single hander to dock.

Don't know if there are different models of the Defever 44. The ones I have seen are the sundeck models with twin engines. The Defever 44 is a full displacement boat.

Both the Defever 44 and the GB42 have the master stateroom aft. These are larger staterooms than on the Krogen 42 and that would be great. The downside is that at anchor they are not located where they will catch the prevailing wind. The bow cabin on the Krogen 42 has a hatch which funnels wind directly to the berth. If you are going to the Caribbean you will be at anchor a great deal of time and the evenings are still in the high seventies and low eighties.

For the Caribbean you should be happy with either the Defever or the Krogen. Try and find a good boat to buy. If you can find one with paravanes or stabilizers already installe you may find that that it the better choice for you.

I agree with every single bit of that....and the conclusion. Pretty much nails it in my opinion!!!! I lean towards the Defever and that is a totally biased lean. It is a LOT of boat for the money and a boat that is easy to maintain with its huge engine ROOM. The DeFever 49 CPMY is at the very top of my list for my retirement/cruising boat.

Last edited:
Your list and the desire to do open water points to the KK. The other two can do open water but are really designed and used best in protected water. If you can afford it a Nordhaven should also go in the mix.

Your list and the desire to do open water points to the KK. The other two can do open water but are really designed and used best in protected water. If you can afford it a Nordhaven should also go in the mix.

I think that DeFever would serve just as well in open water...

You can get stabilizers that are helpful at anchor. Zero speed stabilizers. There are a lot of different options of stabilizers and more being developed all the time. For a boat that size, we're really impressed with Side Power/Sleipner and their vector fins.

Stabilizer revolution - Side-Power

Yes, but if his budget is $250 for the boat he likely won't be comfortable with the new install cost of these. You would be much better off finding a boat with stabilizers installed on someone else's dime. But at $250 it might be tough to do if you also want a pristine example that has been refit. Newer models with fiberglass fuel tanks and such are probably out of the price range.

Flopper stoppers like on Nordhavns really work and are cost effective.

IMO you need to consider hull form more than galley position. The three you mention are not the same.

Defever 44 and 49 CPMY both meet your requirements other than single engine. The 49 would be perfect for SCUBA diving because of the large cockpit. Both have large swim platforms. They are hard to find, and a 49 within your budget will probably need some work. But they are definitely worth a look IMO.

I added the paravanes to my KK42 for just under $10K, of course I did most everything myself....

They are a pain to deploy and retrieve if it cant be done in a "harbor". Coming in offshore into less than 25' they have to come in while it is still rough. But having them at anchor with no power consumption is great(because the hull rolls so damn much :) ). Also really nice when you land a fish offshore and slow/stop while reeeling it in.

Wouldn't do it the GB42, am doing it in the KK42, no first hand experience with the others.

Good luck, leave some $$ for the fun stuff. You can easily go through $20k on non boat related "auxiliary equipment"

Yes, but if his budget is $250 for the boat he likely won't be comfortable with the new install cost of these. You would be much better off finding a boat with stabilizers installed on someone else's dime. But at $250 it might be tough to do if you also want a pristine example that has been refit. Newer models with fiberglass fuel tanks and such are probably out of the price range.

He may not be, but if he found the perfect boat for a decent amount under $250k, just want him aware. And, if he finds one with stabilizers already then accept that vs. his requirement stated of paravanes.

Current value of KK 42s from the 80s is within the budget.

I really love the Defevers, and even though they pretty much only come in dual engine, that would not knock them out of contention. My preference is for a single, but I would not kick out a dual.

Back
Top Bottom