Dauntless Crosses the Atlantic Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No updates from Richard yet today. I did ask him yesterday if he was able to sleep given the seas. He said yes he was sleeping decent. I have not gotten any delorme position updates since last night. We have been seeing some intermittency some times which we expect is due to the position of the In Reach unit to visibility to the sky.

Richard just rebooted the Delorme unit and now I got an update. He also said that he just put the Starboard bird back in to ease some of the roll. This will slow him down about a little but make things much more comfortable.

Go Richard... Go! I just picked up on this thread. Better late than never... says a NYer to a NYer! Now I'll get posts as they come in. :thumb:

Sail safe, sail happy!! :D

No need to
make this thread a competition between trawler builders...
This guy is just doing something that most of us would never have enough balls to do it.
Lets encourage him, check he is safe and be humble looking at his adventure.

Not trying to make it a competition although Richard and I have discussed my choice of a DD vs a KK. Richard is very much looking forward to trying to convince me that a KK should be in my future when I join him in Panama. I'll have no choice but to listen to him since he'll be my Captain for a month or two while we make our way through the canal and head north.

Note: You are correct when you say Richard is doing something few would have the cajones to do and for that reason I will be listening intently to everything he has to share with me during our time aboard together. :thumb:

Diesel , If you'd like to discuss your boat I don't think this is the right thread for that. Start another and perhaps others and I will give two cents worth when there is time.

For the rest who are interested here is Dauntless's last 24 hour data. From 1400hrs to 1400hrs distance run 141.8 avg speed 5.8 rpm 1500 fuel rate 1.4 gph. 287 nautical miles from puerto de la restinga and 2193 to Barbados.
IMG_4601.jpg

1021mb sea NW Swell 8 -15' 10" per
Wind waves ESE 3-5'
14Z

Btw Richard enjoyed hearing from everyone who texted via the delorme site yesterday.

May I ask what isnthe software you are using on this picture?

Got a message from Richard saying Both birds are out. Speed is slowed to 4.9 with birds out. Rolling is not so bad so we will pull birds for night time. Caffesport, thanks for getting his morning updated post. I could not get to the computer till now to post.

Anyone know how many crew on the boat?

Diesel , If you'd like to discuss your boat I don't think this is the right thread for that. Start another and perhaps others and I will give two cents worth when there is time.

For the rest who are interested here is Dauntless's last 24 hour data. From 1400hrs to 1400hrs distance run 141.8 avg speed 5.8 rpm 1500 fuel rate 1.4 gph. 287 nautical miles from puerto de la restinga and 2193 to Barbados.
View attachment 59483

1021mb sea NW Swell 8 -15' 10" per
Wind waves ESE 3-5'
14Z

Btw Richard enjoyed hearing from everyone who texted via the delorme site yesterday.

Thanks for the updates. I'm not very familiar with the delorme. Do you need to own one and be logged in in order to follow Dauntless' journey or does it work similar to LiveShip where you can follow vicariously?

No need to
make this thread a competition between trawler builders...
This guy is just doing something that most of us would never have enough balls to do it.
Lets encourage him, check he is safe and be humble looking at his adventure.
Absatively!

Looks like there is some weather headed their way,

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 187
A brief update from Richard as he ends his watch.
Richard Bost
Dec 12, 2016
3:28:30 AM
Winds have picked up thru the night, now 040° @ 20 g 25. Just put the lee bird in, now down to 5.0 kt

Speed: 6.01 kts
Heading: SW
Elevation: 7.71 ft.
Batt: Normal
Lat: 25.586096
Lon: -24.690591

Planning to arrive soon in Canary with my trawler, I am happy to read news about Dauntless At Sea ' adventures and cruise. Very positive attitude, far from romance and marketing from boatbuilders! Sailing from the Netherlands, I know as everybody here on this forum what rough sea can be...
Quality of diesel, fuel filtration, stabilization, engine, propeller, reliability is a question of survival!

One more time, " bon vent, bonne mer!":thumb:

Trawler BALDER 8
mmsi 227 399 280

Day 3 report from Richard:
Day 3 133nm, 24:00, 5.54kt 25°14.066n 25°07.124 Switchd fuel tank, ea 24hr Wx sct Sc7+ 72°47°76° 04517g25 sea NE 3-10' 1500rpm 5.5 227°
He also experimented with the birds in and out. He determined that with the following seas the birds are not making much difference so I believe he left them out of the water.

Roger I'm going to let you handle the updates as I have a boat to prep and I'll be off the grid for the next month.

OK, but your displays were great. Thanks much for your work.

Looks like he may encounter some rougher sea in the coming days.

NOAA waves height forecast for Wednesday:

FireShot Capture 5 - National Weather Service - Graphical Forecast_ - http___digital.weather.gov.jpg

And Thursday:

National Weather Service - Dec15-1PM.jpg

Fortunately if the forecast stays true, The wind and seas will be from very close to the same direction when you factor in the progress he makes over the next couple of days. Also the direction will be a following sea which Dauntless excels in according to Richard. Once he gets through this it looks mostly favorable till he gets closer to Barbados and that is too far out to predict. We are all pulling for them.

I am sure everything will be fine, let's hope for the best :)

There is nothing to get through there, those are the Christmas winds and they are right on time. Sailors have used them for centuries to get to the islands for rum. Richard knows how to deal with them.

The latest update from Richard.
Day 4 135, 24:00,
5.61 24°08.500', 27°16.782
Wx TCU Bkn 7,+RW-vcnty 1020 75 54 77 06019g25
Stb bird most of period - Pitch +1.5 to -1; Roll +10 to -8

update continued:
Day 4 continued - Seas dead astern (AWA 180°) 8 to 10' 6"pd

There is nothing to get through there, those are the Christmas winds and they are right on time. Sailors have used them for centuries to get to the islands for rum. Richard knows how to deal with them.

Great info. Each of Richard's trips is all new territory for a river, lake and bay guy like me. You da man, Richard!!

Good news he`s got a tailcurrent. :hide: If that was my boat she'd behave like a black lab does when you grab its tail...she`d go every which way but straight ahead. What a difference a 'proper' hull makes!

I've heard of a milk run. This is Dauntless' rum run. :D Godspeed, RumRunner!

Last edited:
Todays passage update.
2016 Day 5
137.2 nm over last 24 hrs
avg 5.72 kts
pos
23 22.860
29 35.065
curr wx; Sct Cu 7+ 1023mb 76 degrees54dg 79 dgr wnds09022g28
dist to go 1812 nm at 260 dgrees.

Todays passage update.
2016 Day 5