Raw Water Hose Type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kev_rm

Vessel Name
Kismet
My boat has the steel reinforced marine exhaust hose for raw water inlet hoses... I can understand the outlet one attached to exhaust, but for the rest of the system isn't this hose about 1000% overkill since it never gets even remotely hot? What am I missing? Abrasion resistance?

What ever you use needs to be non collapsible. That is why they use the wire reinforced. The suction from your water pump will collapse a non reinforced hose.

As stated he sure to use wire reinforced on the suction side. That is anywhere between the pump, strainer and / or thru hull. Don't skimp on any hoses as they are a relitvely inexpensive item that can cause a lot of damage if they fail.

......... Don't skimp on any hoses as they are a relitvely inexpensive item that can cause a lot of damage if they fail.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Raw water hoses are not a good place to go cheap. It will be only a few dollars more to get the best. A failed hose on the raw water side (of the engine or air conditioner) can sink your boat.

Thanks all. Was just curious why exhaust hose... as that's not necessarily adding a structural improvement, part of it is heat tolerance.

Also I'm not sure $8/foot is cheap there is a solid ~100ft of that stuff on here but agreed probably not a place to skimp.

I think there are three basic characteristics of hose;

1) Heat resistance

2) Resistance to collapsing from suction, and from kinking when bent.

3) Physical durability.

For non-exhaust applications you don't need the heat resistance, but you generally need the other two characteristics.

Trident sells two wire reinforced non exhaust hoses for raw water applications. They are less expensive and more bendable.

Ted

The only reason to use wire reinforced hose (hard wall) is to prevent the hose from kinking when it makes a tight bend or to keep it from collapsing under suction.

You should avoid using hard wall hose if you can. It will fail sooner than an equal soft wall hose. The wire eventually rusts, expands and delaminates the hose. Always use soft wall hose if you can but sometimes you just have to use hard wall.

There might be some confusion as to what is best.

I have seen trident wire reinforced hose crack and steel wire so corroded in such a short time that calling it I the best category might be misleading.

I have been replacing hoses for along time and many in my last 15 years working in the marine trades.....I would be hard pressed to say whether there is a best.

On the other hand, using unsuitab,e hose isn't the answer.

If some one here has ever tried reseal g the hose where the wire was cut, I would be interested if they say any appreciable results.

I have seen cheap automotI've hose last just as long....so I am skeptical of the concept that you are assured long life by brand or type of hose...but am curious to the offshoot findings of others.

The only reason to use wire reinforced hose (hard wall) is to prevent the hose from kinking when it makes a tight bend or to keep it from collapsing under suction.

You should avoid using hard wall hose if you can. It will fail sooner than an equal soft wall hose. The wire eventually rusts, expands and delaminates the hose. Always use soft wall hose if you can but sometimes you just have to use hard wall.

Ya the delamination is what I'm looking at now. Just at the ends but they need to be replaced. There are a few bits of silicone on the boat too but I think its about the same price and exhaust hose and main application for that material is high heat if I understand it correctly.

Any recommendations for a non-hardwall brand/model of hose?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom