Movie night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
Okay cruisers,

I'm planning to spend the next summer afloat in Western WA and BC on my trawler. The plan is to invite many friends and extended family to join me for various fragments of the overall cruise.

I've begun accruing DVDs for onboard entertainment, and I thought it would be worthwhile to solicit recommendations for this library. Only criterion:the flick has to be nautical...or "cruising" (I have the complete Firefly for example) Got Master & Commander and Caine Mutiny; what else?

Bill Butler
MV Seeadler
Ashland & Tacoma

url

Captain Ron!

"All is Lost??"

Debbie dose Dallas

Or a great fiction story for this time of the year "The Bible "

Last edited:
The Cruel Sea
Sink the Bismark
The "Hornblower" series
They Were Expendable
Operation Petticoat
Mister Roberts
The Final Countdown
Midway
On Golden Pond. Not strictly cruising but there are boats and a great movie.

Wifey B: Pirates of the Caribbean.

And love On Golden Pond, by the way.

However, I eliminate all the water and boating movies with bad stuff in them. Don't invite someone to your beach home and then show them Jaws. :nonono:

Plus why all boat and water related? Oh, I'd just have some good fun comedy?

Were you serious about the dvd part? :rofl: That's oh so last century. :hide:

The Cruel Sea
Sink the Bismark
The "Hornblower" series
They Were Expendable
Operation Petticoat
Mister Roberts
The Final Countdown
Midway
On Golden Pond. Not strictly cruising but there are boats and a great movie.

Great list. I have the Gregory Peck "Hornblower" already, much better than the series which I have on now-useless VHS.

I dislike "Midway", weak melodramatic attempt to use up the cut footage from "Tora...", but hey! "Tora Tora Tora" is now on the list, thanks.

"Final Countdown" a great recommend. Best time-travel pic ever.

"Bismarck" good choice, and it reminds me, I need to get "In Which We Serve".

Bill

A few weeks ago at anchorage we put on the double DVD Grumpy Old Men, and Grumpier Old Men.

Thoroughly enjoyable,

///DVD ... last century///

Well, streaming video in Nootka Sound may be a bit awkward. ...but there's a segue: Nootka Sound > Captain Cook > Lt. Bligh > "Mutiny on the Bounty" (the Laughton/Gable version, of course)

Last edited:
///DVD ... last century///

Well, streaming video in Nootka Sound may be a bit awkward. ...but there's a segue: Nootka Sound > Hms Resolution > Lt. Bligh > "Mutiny on the Bounty" (the Laughton/Gable version, of course)

Wifey B: Loading them on a hard drive doesn't require streaming in Nootka Sound. :)

My personal preference would be to just a library of good books and a couple decks of cards. Everyone can either read their own choice or play cards with others.

But if you have to have DVDs, The Heart of the Sea is a decent movie (although the book is truly outstanding)

=BandB;502782]Wifey B: Loading them on a hard drive doesn't require streaming in Nootka Sound. :)

Doh! Excellent idea; especially as my public library has a great inventory. Thanx. Probably saved me at least 1AMU.
Bill

My personal preference would be to just a library of good books and a couple decks of cards. Everyone can either read their own choice or play cards with others.

Agreed. Got scrabble, chess, uno, dominos. Bookshelves pretty full of references and cruising guides. Guests will be encouraged to bring personal faves.

Last edited:
They Were Expendable
Operation Petticoat

PT 109!

And youve opened up a whole sub-genre I hadn't thought of: submarines !!

Das Boot, Red October, and my fave, the Enemy Below.

Come on guys Iamsurprised nobod mentionned Poseidon Adventure from 1972 or its remake in 2006!

But if you have to have DVDs, The Heart of the Sea is a decent movie (although the book is truly outstanding)

Wifey B: Books? You surely don't mean those things with binders and paper all in between do you? As long as it's electronic, I agree completely with having lots of them. Just pull them up and read what you want and take no space. :)

+1 for Das Boot. Mandatory viewing on my boat. If your guests are not tough enough to sit through Das Boot, they are not tough enough to be cruising with you.
The Hemingway short stories "The Old Man and the Sea" and "Islands in the Stream".

Last edited:
To the games list I would suggest UpWords. It's a great Scrabble game and the tiles won't slide around.

As far as boat movies, how about these from my library:
Atlantis (cartoon movie)
Dr. Doolittle (because Rex Harrison is cool)
Father Goose
Houseboat
The Incredible Mr. Limpet (Don Knotts)
Lt. Robin(son?) Crusoe (a Disney film)
Rescue from Gilligan's Island (and the series if you're so inclined)
Swiss Family Robinson
Wackiest Ship in the Army (another Disney gem)

Yes, I am dorky. I like the old shows. They make me happy.
I have Utopia (black and white, with a bit of a classic sailboat however the movie wasn't a favorite -- I think it's Abbott and Costello, though it's been a while since I watched it)

I agree with no scary boat movies. That's probably not a good idea.

The Ice Age series is fun and funny.
For uplifting, Apollo 13 is a great choice.

Blue Lagoon? Or that may be my 50 year-old horny teen talkin'. Brooke Shields nekkid... okay, well, sorta.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom