New Member from Louisiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWO KPM

Memorial Member
Vessel Name
Evangeline
Vessel Make
35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
G'day Y'all.
Between boats at the moment. Recently retired from 41 years in aviation.
I've been searching for a diesel Fly-bridge sedan in the 35 foot range for sometime now. Tricabin/sunroofs almost make it but a small or no cockpit and steps to a small swim deck don't make it for us. I (we) also don't need two heads or engines. ICW, Gulf coast and maybe the loop in 2018.

In the words of Ernest Gann "I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2."

Comment ca vas, Welcome aboard. Bunch of South Louisiana boats on here. Good luck and have fun in your search!

Welcome to the Trawler Forum!

Welcome. I am currently in New Orleans. Feel free to swing by to talk about boats. Or flying for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Welcome! I live in Thibodaux and keep my boat, Gumbo, in Houma just off the ICW.

Check out Timjets 355 Carver. It is a twin diesel if thats a deal breaker for you. Well maintained and equipped. Ready for action and adventure.

Carver

Thanks, I have been watching Timjets 355, very nice. I looked at and made an offer on a 354 last year it was accepted, but wifey said not what she wanted..... That one was gas and really did not fit our plans.
In any case I no longer feel the need for speed after a few years of Mach .9 at FL510 in a LR40;)

Welcome to our American cousins in Louisiana, good luck in your search.

Welcome-look me up at cypremort point if you get out that way.

Welcome to Trawler Forum!

We must live on opposite ends of a parallel universe! Four years ago I retired from 39 years in aviation. I went from 8 miles per minute to 8 miles per hour and love it! Five years before retirement, I bought my retirement boat with similar wants, except I like the redundancy and maneuverability of twins. I used those 5 years to tweak my boat to my likes and purchase the items needed to upgrade her into 'my boat'.

I've often said my boat is the perfect size for me to 'drink 6, feed 4 and sleep 2'. It also fishes 4 OK or 2 in comfort and style.

For me, diesels were a 'must have' as I didn't want the risks or high burn rate and operating cost of gasoline engines. This quickly led me to the 34-37' size bracket since most boats I was viewing smaller than 34 didn't have diesels. Although my boat is called a 34, it's actually closer to 37 LOA. I really wanted wide walkarounds, a good sized fishable cockpit and the ability to walk a fishing rod around the perimeter of boat while fighting a fish without passing it around supports or rails. This steered me toward sedans and ruled out Europa models.

Once I nailed down a realistic budget, my search narrowed to a few boats which included my current 34 LRC Californian. No regrets here....it's been a good fit.

I hope you enjoy your hunt for a new boat and report back often on the process and your thoughts as you progress toward the purchase. It's a fun hunt that many of us still practice even though we're not actually looking to buy again!

Cheers!!

G'day Y'all.
I've been searching for a diesel Fly-bridge sedan in the 35 foot range for sometime now. Tricabin/sunroofs almost make it but a small or no cockpit and steps to a small swim deck don't make it for us. I (we) also don't need two heads or engines. ICW, Gulf coast and maybe the loop in 2018.

In the words of Ernest Gann "I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2."

Well G'day to you too. I have just finished a remarkable book by Gann, about the early days of commercial aviation in the US, I found it in a second hand book store, a terrific story.

I think Flyright is on the money regarding the type of boat that may suite, particularly the walk around decks, by the way Flyright nice new Avatar you have there.

Oliver, good to see you posting, Lutin is one of my top five favourite boats on the forum.

G'day Y'all.

Wifey B: Oh, yes you do. Trust me. You do. You may not know you do, but you do. :lol: You have six drinking, 4 eating and 2 sleeping, you need two heads. :D

Welcome and glad to have another LA guy here. I'm in BTR, boat is in a marina near Springfield LA, about an hour east of home. I have 1 engine, diesel, and 1 head, don't listen to the twin engine guys, twice the problems. Same w/ two heads Mrs. Wifey B, twice the problems. That being said, my girlfriend and advisor on any and all topics would love to have her own.

Wifey B:"Oh, yes you do. Trust me. You do. You may not know you do, but you do. You have six drinking, 4 eating and 2 sleeping, you need two heads."

Not all at the same time!:eek:
75% of the time will be just me, Miss Micki can only handle so much solitude and togetherness. :rolleyes:

GC, #1 child (daughter) went to LSU. #2 (son) is going there in the fall. Don't know whats wrong with ULL, it's 5 blocks from the house.

I have been watching this 35 Senator for over a year. Originally listed at over 60K. It was sold and the buyer rejected it for blisters. Hence the very expensive bottom job. I spoke with the yard owner and he says all the claims are true. Maybe a couple of small soft spots and the bright work needs freshening, we'll see.
My friend/broker (100 ton Master) said let's make them an embarrassing offer contingent on inspection, survey and haul out. They accepted so I am going to see it next week.

1985 Senator Flybridge Sedan Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Wifey B: #1 child (daughter) went to LSU. #2 (son) is going there in the fall. Don't know whats wrong with ULL, it's 5 blocks from the house.

Wifey B: You answered your own question, exactly what's wrong with ULL, it's only 5 blocks from the house. :D

Just be glad at least they're choosing a state school and not private or out of state.

Lsu

Wifey B: You answered your own question, exactly what's wrong with ULL, it's only 5 blocks from the house. :D

Just be glad at least they're choosing a state school and not private or out of state.

That was a rather rhetorical question wasn't it?:rolleyes:
Two big rivers and 52 miles away.
As it is, from birth we slowly put back 50K each for higher education. #1 got a merit based scholarship (TOPS) and a check from me for 22k on graduation. We have yet see how #2 fairs.:whistling:

Good luck on the boat search. Retired military? Just guessing by CWO

Cheers

Good luck on the boat search. Retired military? Just guessing by CWO

Cheers

3 years Aircraft mechanic, 1 year WORWAC Flight School and 4 years a Warrant Officer aviator then some reserve time. Out by 24, all in all "a great place to start". Pretty much ruined me for real work.:socool:

Welcome aboard from another misplaced LA boy, CWO!

"Don't know whats wrong with ULL, it's 5 blocks from the house."

Ha!...Nothing wrong with ULL (or USL as we older folks still call it!). I paid for two Master Degrees there....neither of the kids are working in that field any longer though..:facepalm:. I have to agree with B&B....ULL was probably too close to dear ol' Dad for the kids!:whistling:

Oldest son graduated from ULL, youngest son from LSU, good thing there is not a strong football rivalry there. I kid them that they learned really well how to stack beer in the ice chest.

A mid-thirties boat should satisfy. No need for two heads: one's enough. Just need a single double bed, a minimal kitchen, and a decent table for dining. I accomplished that and can even accommodate up to six for a sit-down meal. (Somehow, some can deal without a walk-around deck. I don't.)

Last edited:
G'day Y'all.

Welcome, and damn. If only you were in Australia. I have just the thing for you.

A very busy week.
Counter offered on the 35' senator sedan fly bridge. Wrote a check for the 41' Litton. no it does not have the backwards wind screens.:)
MS B . the Litton has two heads:blush:

If all works out we will have an east coast and a gulf coast boat. USAA and progressive love me.
An Achilles inflatable on the senator and a 13' whaler on the hook on the Litton.

Does anyone have real time experience with the 41 series Volvo's?
1800 hours and they look like jewelry. I know Penta did not have a great rep.

Thanks. I have been to Australia, New Zealand
and Antarctica. I do not like COLD.

Does anyone have real time experience with the 41 series Volvo's?
1800 hours and they look like jewelry. I know Penta did not have a great rep.

Actually, they do have a great rep. Just that here on TF there are a couple of guys that have been unsuccessful in getting service from VP for older (heritage) VP engines. I don't think the 41s are that old. Mine are 1990 vintage. I know they were still putting new ones into boats when I got mine used in 2000.

Mine had 1500 hrs when I bought them. I had the injectors serviced then, and operationally have had no problems that I can blame on VP. My exhaust elbows went 6000 hrs and 35 years before renewal was necessary (they came on the original 40s in 1980). The raw water pumps went 3000 hrs, 25 years. Those need watching, as leaks past the seals are $$pendy to fix. Better to get new ones before that happens.

The 41s always start within the first second, no matter how cold it gets outside. A little startup smoke is always present, but goes away within a short time. They don't mind years of light loading (I probably use only the bottom 60hp on a regular basis. The full 200hp never gets used.)

The only VP related failure I have had was a hole eroded in an oil cooler. Once I figured it out, I had a welder fix it and it has been good ever since, 500+ hrs later.

Mine now have 3200 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom