My Christmas present to me -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigsfish

Guru
Vessel Name
Gotcha
Vessel Make
Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
So I decided I needed a Flir for the boat and decided on this: Leupold LTO Tracker Thermal Imaging Monocular Sight / Hand-held Viewer w/ 6X Digital Zoom 172830 w/ Free S&H

Waterproof and small plus will operate for ten hours on 123 batteries.

Yeah, that time of year for sure. I thought about a really nice present for me -- a bigger, better boat than I have now, packed to the gills with expensive equipment, and ready to follow in the footsteps of Dauntless!! But not singlehanding like him. No, sir. A Stepford Wife (marine version) ready to travel with it!

Oh well. Probably get some socks for Christmas. It is a cruel world.

John

I'm tired of socks, underwear and ties. If I get a great present it will come from me. LOL. Who loves me more than me. �� Besides it is for the safety of those traveling with me, see I did it for you!

So I decided I needed a Flir for the boat and decided on this: Leupold LTO Tracker Thermal Imaging Monocular Sight / Hand-held Viewer w/ 6X Digital Zoom 172830 w/ Free S&H

Waterproof and small plus will operate for ten hours on 123 batteries.

Leupold is very good brand. To use at sea (moving element), check the frame rate, forget everything under 20 Hz, 30 Hz would be very fine.

Last edited:
Well at least I don't get ties anymore. I don't know what I'll get this year but I'm sure it will be an open box something-or-other from Ronco, probably taped to a 99 cent fruitcake. .:nonono:

Olivier

I checked the refresh rate and it was 30Hz. It's much nicer than other Flir products I looked at a much better price, small so it fits in a pocket and guaranteed for life. Downside is it can roll off a flat surface.

I though that I was worth the price, the admiral was not consulted. LOL

I wanted to get myself something for Christmas, but my banker told me to keep dreaming. IMG_1481168323.579145.jpg

Santa Bill was Wonderful to me.

I have installed one of my wishes... a wish that I planned for long before the purchase of my Seaweed. At initial haul-out I even installed a thru-hull for it. She's wonderful and life truly does not get any better.

I am the most fortunate person on the planet. Life is sooooo good.

Christmas has arrived at Seaweed. The lights are up, Sinatra is singing It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and that is so true. I love the lights, the music and Claxton fruitcake. What could be better?!?

Janice, so glad to see your doing well. Claxton fruitcake? Does it have rum in it?

Does it actually let you see in the dark, For example crab pot floats that always seem to get dropped in great numbers near nav marks and tight channels?

Or does it just show up warm objects?

Olivier

I checked the refresh rate and it was 30Hz. It's much nicer than other Flir products I looked at a much better price, small so it fits in a pocket and guaranteed for life. Downside is it can roll off a flat surface.

I though that I was worth the price, the admiral was not consulted. LOL

Bigsfish & Admiral :)

Last week in Paris I have tried Leupold LTO Tracker Thermal Imaging Monocular (Product #172830) between many other ones.
High frame rate, compact, quick, easy, lightweight, impressive performance; One of the best, perhaps the best one in my opinion. Not weapon rated (you cannot mount it to a firearm) but that's not an issue to use on a boat.

I guess (in my opinion only) the thermal sensor came from Raytheon which is great.

Reasonable price for a great quality, pretty "affordable" for a thermal optic). USA made (Oregon ?) & 5 years warranty (in Europe).
ACR123 lithium battery life is very good, easy replaceable.

Forget FLIR (even at same price range than Leupold) which have too low frame rate, lower resolution, a lower distance. FLIR are very good BUT in the USD 3,000 price range !

PS. I don't have any connection with Leupold company.

Does it actually let you see in the dark, For example crab pot floats that always seem to get dropped in great numbers near nav marks and tight channels?

Or does it just show up warm objects?

It's a thermal device, not a full night vision which is the reason why it works both day & night.

Mostly to use for thermal observation & detection of heat sources like other boats even small ones which is good. Not bad (average) in the dark but not to use out to 600 yards in the dark for crab pot for sure.

In my opinion it's ok, there are six optional color palettes, better to setup on bright green or dark green, not bad in the dark because even sea water could have less or more signature, then a dark point in the green could be a crab pot or buoy, once again, not at all out to 600 yards.

But I suggest you give this one a try when no heat signature emitted to check if it's ok with your expectation.

I have installed one of my wishes... a wish that I planned for long before the purchase of my Seaweed. At initial haul-out I even installed a thru-hull for it. . . .

So Janice, what did you install that was connected to that thru-hull - a sea-toilet?

Olivier

I am told by Leopold that they will either make a new one or make a mount for this one to be used with a red dot on a rail. That doesn't matter to me as I have NV for that purpose. I agree the green choice is best for me. They claim it will work out to 600 yards, I doubt that, but one or two hundred is fine for my speed at night.
Thanks for you knowledgeable input.

Santa Bill was Wonderful to me.

I have installed one of my wishes... a wish that I planned for long before the purchase of my Seaweed. At initial haul-out I even installed a thru-hull for it. She's wonderful and life truly does not get any better.

I am the most fortunate person on the planet. Life is sooooo good.

Christmas has arrived at Seaweed. The lights are up, Sinatra is singing It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and that is so true. I love the lights, the music and Claxton fruitcake. What could be better?!?

Hi Janice

Please check your email (Gmail), there is a nice surprise for you :)

Olivier

I am told by Leopold that they will either make a new one or make a mount for this one to be used with a red dot on a rail. That doesn't matter to me as I have NV for that purpose. I agree the green choice is best for me. They claim it will work out to 600 yards, I doubt that, but one or two hundred is fine for my speed at night.
Thanks for you knowledgeable input.

Bigsfish

You are most welcome.
With Leupold LTO, 500 to 600 yards for a heat signature would really work on land.
It's not about 500 / 600 yards distance, which would be OK (not for crab pot or buoy). It's about the convenience from a moving element as water which depends if calm or not, this is why a good frame rate (30Hz) is very important.

Last edited:
Olivier

You certainly understand more about this than I do, however I should have the unit about the first of the year and I have time to play with it. I'll either keep it or sell it.

Thanks.

Olivier

You certainly understand more about this than I do, however I should have the unit about the first of the year and I have time to play with it. I'll either keep it or sell it.

Thanks.

In rereading my last post, I think that I misspoke due to my English, I apologize about that.

What I meant is that Leupold LTO would really work on land - also on calm sea, lake, river thanks to the 30Hz frame rate -, for a thermal detection distance of up to 500 / 600 yards which is very good for the price.

If the sea was not calm and had some waves therefore the observation is unstable, the overall distance would be shorter, of up to 100 / 200 yards.

I am pretty sure you will find it useful and convenient.

Thanks. 100-200 yards will be fine, at night I go very slow.

Janice, so glad to see your doing well. Claxton fruitcake? Does it have rum in it?

Nope. No to the rum. I'm not much of a drinker. And rum is not my thing except when making Tia Maria. Kaluha uses vodka, at least my recipe calls for that as a difference.

Still I made a few bottles in the spring time and still have them though one is very low.

Claxton is a speck of heaven. It's made in Georgia if memory serves me and I like it better than the "better" brands and even better than home baked. Yes, I know I'm a bit odd when it comes to fruitcake.

I will pick up a couple before they disappear for later in the year. Maybe three! :)

So Janice, what did you install that was connected to that thru-hull - a sea-toilet?

I have one of them, a Lavac. Here without easy access to pump-outs I treat mine like a composting head.

This is my new present:
KatadynOnBulkhead.jpg

Isn't she gorgeous?!? I am truly blessed. .

Electro Magnetic backup Drive.

Water-maker?

Good eyes. A Katadyn 40E
Hauling water is a thing of the past for me. And that was probably the most physically challenging part of being out here. Water is HEAVY.

I've run out. This will give me the freedom to stay in those remote areas I prefer without having to conserve. Truly I am blessed.

I've wanted one since before I bought the boat. Back then I wanted the Spectra with Z-brane (a very nice set-up) ... this one is not automated and I believe it will be more reliable for me long-term.

That and the price was one I could meet. I am soooo happy! :)
Life does not get much better.

I wish everyone could be as happy as I am now. I'd love to be able to share my joy. It's a wonderful world. May all your Christmas wishes come true.

Janice. From my wilderness days I always had faith in Katadyn, even the government loves them. I'm sure you will be happy.

Janice, Congrats! How do you power it? In other words, what sequence or combination of generator, batteries, solar do you find works best? Do you notice better output in the fresh/brackish parts of the ICW?

Janice, Congrats! How do you power it? In other words, what sequence or combination of generator, batteries, solar do you find works best? Do you notice better output in the fresh/brackish parts of the ICW?

Thank you Shoalwaters. I'm very excited.

She run off 12-volts and has her own breaker on the panel. Cost is 4 amp hours. Output is reported to be 1.5 gallons an hour.

I will crank her up at the end of January. Kidlet is taking me on my first ever vacation to a Resort (at Disney -- will share a room with my Grand daughter) and after I get back the watermaker gets turned on.

She's never been run (new/old stock)
A friend bought her and installed on his boat but never used it.

I suspect I'll have to use one of the two sets of seals that came with the unit. he o-rings are old for certain so who knows? It's my theory that once I start her I should continue to use her in order to get the longest life possible out of it.

As for power supply, I have 445 watts on the top of Seaweed providing me with 150A (give or take) each day. I also have an Air-Breeze wind genny that does great when the wind blows.

Seaweed is outfitted for completely off-the-grid life. I love remote areas such as I spent my youth. I am truly fortunate. Those last two panels (taking me up from 225 watts made all the difference in the world. Now, regardless, I have my refrigerator working.

Folks don't understand how wonderful it is to have ice cubes and the ability to keep things cool. Although our boat (the 40'er) didn't have refrigeration until the early 70's, I still missed it those first years aboard Seaweed.

Having power is so huge -- and I have a big battery bank too which gives me more wriggle room. With volt meters all over the boat I constantly know what my power state is.

Yes, I've seen those fancy meters -- for $200 they will tell me the SOC (state of charge) however $200 will buy two more 100A batts so that was my choice. More batteries and cheap ($3 or $4) volt meters everywhere seemed a better option.

The added batteries, low down in the bilge have made Seaweed far more stable. She still rocks but the pitching is gone. Ballast, don't 'cha know?!?

Life is good afloat.

As for the filtering, etc. this watermaker has the optional pre-filter. It should eliminate problems associated with the water though here (near John's Pass in St. Pete) there is good flow of gulf water.

I read a book (which makes me an expert, right?) and it suggested swapping out the pre-filters Very frequently. Because they can be reused, it won't be a high dollar event. PDF was found on Cruiser's Forum when I did a search for Katadyn... guy on a boat named ISHI wrote it and he seems to have a good track on potential problems.

Anyone with a watermaker might benefit from reading his book. It's 96 pages, and I had a local printer spiral bind it for me. She did a great job. And she's not high-$$ which is even better.

Her name is MaryJane 727-545-9000
Email advancedprintingMJ@gmail.com

Nice lady...

I took ISHI's advice and the unit is mounted with easy access to the prefilter. I didn't take his advice about placement (Katy is next to my bunk) as easy access was paramount to noise considerations.

No doubt I have lots to learn about this unit. I'm very grateful for certain. All my wishes are coming true. On Pi Day 3-14 I'll have called Seaweed home for 9 years. She's pretty amazing now. I am truly blessed.

Janice, you seem to have all the major points covered. Please keep us posted on performance whe you start using it. I could not agree more about your choice of location. Ease of access is really important. I have gone to considerable lengths in my boat projects to preserve/create access. Never regretted it, and often patted myself on the back when reaping the rewards of my efforts later on.

Janice, you seem to have all the major points covered. Please keep us posted on performance whe you start using it. I could not agree more about your choice of location. Ease of access is really important. I have gone to considerable lengths in my boat projects to preserve/create access. Never regretted it, and often patted myself on the back when reaping the rewards of my efforts later on.

This is SO TRUE. I have tried to tuck things away and it simply doesn't work. If access is not easy the maintenance won't be done.

It's why when I tell folks I check my batteries once a month I am met often with incredulous looks. It's easy and not a Big Job aboard Seaweed. If it were I suspect I'd bounce it back to every three months. With lead acid batts I should check more frequently than those with AGMs.

I will be taking notes as this learning process begins. It's so incredible to have the water hauling weight off my shoulders... well, you cannot imagine the smiles over here.

Good things are happening and I'm so glad. Today I've got to get the latest uploaded. First though, coffee with the boys on the dock. It's a morning ritual.

Back
Top Bottom