Is Active Captain down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Is AC down for everyone or just an issue for us, perhaps DNS issue?

And now, the second question of the day. Baby born on flight from Philly to Orlando, which they decide then to land in Charleston. What do you put as place of birth on the birth certificate? Same thing if our to sea? Crossing or something. Do you put "Atlantic Ocean?" Might they even, if offshore and close to another country, be eligible for multiple citizenship's. Perhaps FL boat in Bahamian waters?

I guess sort of same question on death certificates.

Wifey B: . Baby born on flight from Philly to Orlando, which they decide then to land in Charleston. What do you put as place of birth on the birth certificate?

The GPS Coordinates at time of delivery?

Actually, that wouldn't work, as GPS coordinates refer to a point on the earth, not 30,000 feet above it. How about the seat number on the plane? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wifey B: . Baby born on flight from Philly to Orlando, which they decide then to land in Charleston. What do you put as place of birth on the birth certificate?

The GPS Coordinates at time of delivery?

Actually, that wouldn't work, as GPS coordinates refer to a point on the earth, not 30,000 feet above it. How about the seat number on the plane? :D

Wifey B: I'm guessing it will end up being Charleston, although with birth certificates, who knows, as many as are falsified and changed for various reasons. :)

Now now, the election is over.

Wifey B: That wasn't politically targeted. It was for all the adopted kids who live with the altered birth certificates as well as for kids whose mother put a false father's name on it. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
AC isn't down. Jeff wrote on the subject a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember the details but it was something about you need to get in via E-boat cards or something?

It is working fine here I signed on as usual.

Wifey B: It works fine for me now. It didn't when I posted and I'd tried it over a few minutes. :confused:

There was a server error tonight causing memory errors and a massive slow down of the server - it hadn't been rebooted in a month and probably needed it. I didn't notice it because we were out having too much fun at the wine & beer social at Brunswick Landing Marina.

It should be working now. Sorry for the disruption.

There was a server error tonight causing memory errors and a massive slow down of the server - it hadn't been rebooted in a month and probably needed it. I didn't notice it because we were out having too much fun at the wine & beer social at Brunswick Landing Marina.

It should be working now. Sorry for the disruption.

Wifey B: It wasn't a big issue, just was checking to make sure it wasn't just us.

Wifey B: It wasn't a big issue, just was checking to make sure it wasn't just us.
I know. But it was sort of the biggest issue I faced all day.

Seriously, thank you for posting about it. It helps to give it attention so it can be fixed.

Mine went screwy a couple of weeks ago on my amdroid phone. The shallow alarm kept going of. It would sound for a few seconds in the night wake me up. When I found what it was I made sure the alarm was off. It still would not stop so deleted the program.

Either law or custom governs place of birth while airborne or at sea...even nationality.

Just read about it not too long ago...can't find links right now.

Believe port of entry for place, same for coroner and death, and nationality can be home country if offered.

And now, the second question of the day. Baby born on flight from Philly to Orlando, which they decide then to land in Charleston. What do you put as place of birth on the birth certificate? Same thing if our to sea? Crossing or something. Do you put "Atlantic Ocean?" Might they even, if offshore and close to another country, be eligible for multiple citizenship's. Perhaps FL boat in Bahamian waters?

Funny, my daughters have informed me three or four times now, their doctor won't let them fly during the third trimester. Maybe the doc is afraid the baby will be born on the airplane. :confused:

Really? Which states allow that without proof?

Wifey B: None will without appropriate paperwork, but most will do so on adoptions. Here's a link to some of the states that do so and what they do. Date of birth and city of birth are most common items changed.

Falsified Birth Certificates

This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories or accusations. This is primarily about adoptions. Parents, dates, places (within the same state), etc.

Naming of parents is also an issue on these obviously. It's a more widespread issue as well with mothers free to choose whoever they wish to as the father.

Birth certificates can also be applied for some time after the birth. That's done mostly when the name hasn't been decided at birth, but under other situations.

I didn't mean to open up something major here. Just was just an aside comment.

I can't name the states but several will change the sex if you don't like what was originally put down.

Maybe you had a sex change operation but you were what you were at birth. Changing this is rewriting history.

Wifey B: Most states have procedures for changing names and sex. In some states it's amending and in others it's a new certificate.

Hard to tell what this thread is about. Babies?

Re AC is that an app that tells where the marinas are and the services they offer? Kindof a Wagoner Cruising Guide for i-phones?
I'd rather just up-date my Navamatics.

Hard to tell what this thread is about. Babies?

Re AC is that an app that tells where the marinas are and the services they offer? Kindof a Wagoner Cruising Guide for i-phones?
I'd rather just up-date my Navamatics.

Wifey B: You may be the only person here who hasn't tried Active Captain. It's got the marinas and detail, anchorages, bridges, locks, shoals and it's got reviews. Most complete site of it's kind. Also integrates with many plotters. Excellent tool for those of us who travel to new and different areas regularly. :)

It's Jeffrey's baby....:rofl:

WifeyB,
Had thoughts about getting an up to date Wagoneers Guide since they cover marinas well. The thought hit me that if I go to the south Puget Sound soon and lost my heater the run home in these cold temps would be very miserable w/o shore power. So I'd be wanting to go from marina to marina all the way home ... several days at 6 knots. Don't have any continous heat w the engine shut down should the Wabasto fail. Last time out I forgot to put the cap back on the outside fuel tank and it was raining. Yah Yea dumb guy.

Thanks for the fill-in on AC. Marin was big on AC. Part of the reason I asked was for all the many newbie's and lurkers that we have. Most posts are loaded w words and info that a new to boating person wouldn't have a clue about.
But I really don't think I need AC. If I bought all the syuff talked about here I'd be over $100K into my boat. It's existence isn't my need. Also I'm trying to get more things done around the house. Got a portable generator yesterday. Wif'es looking at motorhomes ect ......

WifeyB,
Had thoughts about getting an up to date Wagoneers Guide since they cover marinas well. The thought hit me that if I go to the south Puget Sound soon and lost my heater the run home in these cold temps would be very miserable w/o shore power. So I'd be wanting to go from marina to marina all the way home ... several days at 6 knots. Don't have any continous heat w the engine shut down should the Wabasto fail. Last time out I forgot to put the cap back on the outside fuel tank and it was raining. Yah Yea dumb guy.

Thanks for the fill-in on AC. Marin was big on AC. Part of the reason I asked was for all the many newbie's and lurkers that we have. Most posts are loaded w words and info that a new to boating person wouldn't have a clue about.
But I really don't think I need AC. If I bought all the syuff talked about here I'd be over $100K into my boat. It's existence isn't my need. Also I'm trying to get more things done around the house. Got a portable generator yesterday. Wif'es looking at motorhomes ect ......

Wifey B: But AC is free so it won't impact your motorhome budget. :)

We have Waggoner's and I like it. However, it covers just a small area of the world. As it's also free, I recommend it as well. Waggoner's is great in talking about what to see and where to go. However, AC is the better source on details and especially has the benefits of reviews. AC is Active Captain and the site is activecaptain.com. And, Jeffrey isn't paying me for this plug. :rofl:

I use Active Captain extensively, especially when actually cruising. I can look for marinas in the area where I plan on stopping, compare rates and amenities, etc. Fuel prices don't seem to be as up to date as they used to be. Often, you'll only find out if they sell fuel, not the price.

It's important to remember when reading reviews that many folks have different expectations than you do so take reviews with a grain of salt.

In Alaska I looked for harbors mostly for the night. They were the most rewarding and interesting. Good for 50 knot gales too.

Down here I'll be anchoring out mostly as marinas and towns aren't very interesting w some great exceptions like Olympia and possibly Sheldon. Probably expensive too. So I'll be looking for anchorages mostly on Navamatics that I have both at home and on the boat. Agmented by a 10 yr old Hemingway cruising guide on anchorages. But since AC is free I may look into it. See what's there. Thanks WifeyB even though you managed to call me the hillbilly of the forum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom