View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
hodaka

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Removing Water from Diesel Fuel Tank with "Water Hog" product - comments??

Another recent thread on Trawler Forum (about where to buy oil absorbent pads) brought to my attention (via SteveD's very helpful post on that thread) a company called Newpig, which sells a product called "Water Hog".

On its online catalog on page 37, Newpig describes this as a product which removes water at the bottom of a fuel tank. Do not ask me how I know about the troubles arising from water/microbial activity in a 20 year old 100 gallon starboard aluminum diesel fuel tank! I described all that, and what I did, a few months ago on the Bayliner Owners Club website/forum, where my username is also hodaka.

Regarding my 100 gallon aluminum port fuel tank, which has not yet leaked, I've treated it with the kill dose of BioBor JF, in case there is some water/microbial activity in the port tank.

Now I'm thinking I've little to lose, and potentially a lot to gain, using this "Water Hog" product from Newpig on my port tank. The product comes in several sizes according to the catalog, I should be able to use a size that I can get into the diesel fuel tank. My guess is this product will not remove lots of water, maybe a quart or so, don't know. I'll call the vendor about that.

Any thoughts/experiences from folks who have either used this "Water Hog" product, or heard from folks who have used it? All comments welcome! Of course I've no connection with this product or Newpig.
hodaka is offline   Reply With Quote