Oil Absorbant Sheets - Where to Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

I am in need of some more oil/petrol absorbing sheets and was wondering where the best (cheapest) place to order them is. In California I had no problem getting them for free when dropping off used oil, but no such system exists in Mexico.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Bill

I bought a box of 200 white absorbent pads on ebay to use in my bilge. The box cost me something like 70$. This is the cheapest I found up here, far cheaper than in store and exactly the same product.

In the past purchased mine from :

Kelly Marine Ent.
800-747-9692
100 @$30 + $10 shipping
Don't know if still in business, and am sure price has changed. Worth a try.
Just searched on line and number shown is (850) 784-0918. They supply oil field equipment.

Hydraulic shops sell them by the bale.

I usually google search them when needed. If I can get them to my door for about $0.50 a piece for the 15x18 size, I consider it a good price. Chiropaul's source above looks pretty good, depending on shipping costs.

Many serious auto or truck parts places sell them.
I get mine from my local small town industrial supply house.

I got 100 of 15X18 pads on Amazon for $28.00 with free delivery for Prime members.

I buy them at the local boat show every year at a deeply discounted price. I have more than enough now and don't need anymore for a year or two.

McMaster-Carr, rolls or sheets.

NewPig

For exceedingly high quality mats, try www.newpig.com . They also have something that will repel oil and absorb water, perfect for your fuel tank.

I found 100 sheets for $25 at a restaurant supply dealer on line... Amazon i think. I guess big kitchens also require oil absorbent materials..

Yes, the worst place of all to buy them is at a marine store. One I'm familiar with was charging $2/each.

Yes, the worst place of all to buy them is at a marine store. One I'm familiar with was charging $2/each.

Yep.. reminds me of the classic picture of the guy lighting his cigar with 5 dollar bills.

My marina store sells the NewPig 403 mats for $1.25 each. Sounds high until you realize the best price I can find for them online is $80/100. Given the number I buy I don't mind the local store making that profit.

Newpig.com. Found them during BP Oil spill fiasco here on the gulf coast. Good prices and good products.

Thanks to the helpful link in Drake’s post, just recently purchased 100 sheets of oil only pads from Amazon, price was $38.05. Price may be cheaper elsewhere, don’t know.

Also saw SteveD’s helpful post mentioning:
For exceedingly high quality mats, try www.newpig.com . They also have something that will repel oil and absorb water, perfect for your fuel tank.

My troubles (and how I dealt with them) involving a 20 year old leaky aluminum starboard fuel tank are described in detail in posts done a few months ago on the Bayliner Owner’s Club website, username hodaka (that’s me). SteveD’s post got me to thinking maybe I should try this fuel tank water absorbent product in my aluminum port fuel tank, which has not leaked yet. See page 37 of the Newpig online catalog and the “Water Hog” product.

Don’t want to hijack this thread, or turn it into a "leaky old aluminum fuel tank" discussion, there are a number of those already with good thoughts. Will shortly put up a new post asking about that “Water Hog” product, and your thoughts/experiences. Would appreciate any comments on that post, which I’ll put up soon. My 20 year old aluminum port fuel tank has been treated with a kill dose of BioBor, and this “Water Hog” product looks like maybe I should try it as well.

How much oil do you guys leak????

What oil are you wanting to absorb? For oil change/filter change possible spills I keep disposable diapers on board. Cheap, readily available,absorbent.
Could be handy for "senior moments" too.:blush:

Your local Fastenal store has piles of them.

You need to solicit your salesperson to improve your discount. They are consistently one of my best suppliers based on pricing.

Funny, with my business they were consistently the most expensive by at least 25 percent. When I talked to the sales mgr his response was priceless. " If I purchased more product in the year I'd get a better discount" I replied that you won't get any sales frome because higher than everyone else. He then added if I brought in the hard quote from his competition he'd match the price. Duh why would I do that to my trusted supplier who's already giving me the best price.
This is a true story
(FYI ..I own a fab shop that spends $40,000/annum on hardware)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom