Marine trader mortise lock replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulf

Vessel Name
Marierock
Vessel Make
Marine trader 40' sedan
Can anybody offer any direction on where I can get replacement mortise locks for sliding doors on marine trader 40 sedan?

Can anybody offer any direction on where I can get replacement mortise locks for sliding doors on marine trader 40 sedan?

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any more data? Is there a manufacture name or nomenclature on the current lock? Asked as Perko has a line of locks and of those mortise locks are listed.

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben Pocket Cruiser

Other than the dimensions I have nor saw anything. Am kicking myself in the butt for not taking a pic. It's similar to the latch type mortise lock u find on a sliding pocket door.

Tried a locksmith? That`s where I get keys hand cut for my similar lock. The problem will be getting non ferrous lock parts, keys I get cut only come in steel, unlike the original key.

I have not tried a locksmith. Neither locks are in working order and I forgot to mention that it's a skeleton key and was hoping to replace it with the same.

With no headway on replacement, why not remove the locks and take them to your friendly local locksmith for repair? That way your key won`t need to change either.

I got one for an 83 OA from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Old one used a skeleton key! New one is chrome. $300. Took awhile to find it but it was a perfect fit. New one is chrome. Old was brass. I us3d a hasp and padlock for awhile.

I have a friend who is a locksmith. I plan on having him make something. I have the key.

Bruce. don't think repair is an option as there r missing parts. I was hoping to find something similar. but may just do that if I keep striking out. Thanks!

Mvdarlin. Thanks. Took a look and nothing fit the bill(it's a latch for a sliding door)Will make a call tomorrow. Thanks

I would guess a large proportion of our trawler-type boats have sliding wheelhouse doors and hence locks incorporating hooky-type ends that grab hold of a plate in the jamb. It is puzzling to me that replacement locks of this type are not readily available for the 1,000's of boats fitted with them.

Try this place..... salvage type place.

Marine Connection Liquidators

You either will need a picture or great description....but they are pretty good. They might send you a pic to see if it is close.

They sent perfect fit, difficult to find hatches for a friend of mine.

There are other salvage places all over the might help, others here might send you links or numbers.

I've got one of the mortice locks and the skeleton key on our TT. I don't bother to lock it since all five of the sliding windows can be readily opened from the outside. It works, though.

I've had two houses with antique locks that used 'skeleton' keys. I scrounge old 'rim locks' whenever available (free), and I've even been known to pay for one. These old locks are bone-jarringly simple inside. Take your TT's lock out of the door and disassemble it. I doubt things will sproing out into never-never land (like they can from a sailboat winch or a bicycle in-hub gear). Clean it, lubricate it, replace the springs if needed, stuff it all back together. I'll bet that the 'bolts' - the two bits that travel out to grab the 'strike' on the jamb when the key is turned - are the pieces most likely to have been damaged (by slamming a door shut with the lock already locked); probably would not be all that difficult to make new ones, weld/braze the broken pieces.

For encouragement: 7-19th c rim locks restored, Bennington knobs reglued as necessary, 6 new strikes made of angle iron, ready for paint. Two new brass strikes for fancier doors: brass from McMaster-Carr (old strikes on the right had been badly modified), ready for clear coat. Mortices in both the brass and the steel strikes were cut with a Dremel and carbide bit.

Attachments

• 2013-11-22 Cellar Doors 001.jpg
    2013-11-22 Cellar Doors 001.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013-11-22 GBR Door Strike 001.jpg
    2013-11-22 GBR Door Strike 001.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 107
I bought a chrome replacement years ago at Pacific Fisheries supply in Seattle. Perfect fit. $300

Thank you all for the info and sorry for the late response. With ur direction I was able to find something that should work and am currently waiting to get back up to the boat. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom