View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Well, this is a bit complicated to explain. Normally, without the additional insured thing, if you damage a marina or other boats due to something like a fire on your boat, then the injured party, the marina or the boat owner, has to make a claim against you, your insurance company will investigate and if valid pay the claim. This is all within the liability provisions of your policy.

Now if you designate the marina as an additional insured under your liability policy, not your hull policy, then if the above incident occurs, the marina can make a claim directly to the insurance company because they have a duty to protect the marina, not only you. So it makes it somewhat easier for the marina to get paid- they can work directly with the insurance company and not just through you.

It is a very common practice and most insurance companies routinely grant the additional insured protection to the marina for no additional charge. I am surprised that yours wouldn't. Maybe you were insured in a state that has regulations to prevent it, but again that isn't common.

The foregoing uses a simple example that probably was going to be paid by your insurance company in any case. There are other situations where your marina contract makes you responsible for their faults and the additional insurance comes into play. But that is specific to the contract, not neccesarily the additional insured provision.

FWIW, my marina asked for a copy of my insurance declarations when I signed up for a year's mooring contract. A month or so later I got a document from my insurance company providing that the marina was an additional insured. I didn't have to do anything. The marina and my insurance company took care of it.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote