Solarez UV Epoxy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Not sure how long this stuff has been around but I am impressed. It sets using either UV rays (3-5 minutes) or MEKP (30 minutes).

It arrived by FedEx today so I decided to make a new hatch cover. I used 1/2 ply. Sealing both sides and all 4 edges took a total of 30 minutes before I was sanding the one or two runs I had. I did this in two stages, didn't even need to clean my brush between stages!).

First layer of cloth was wetted and I let it sit for 30 minutes to 'self level' before taking it outside into the sun. Rock hard in 5 minutes.

The sealer they sell, will apparently work on teak (I have not tried it) and although they say the epoxy is UV resistant, I will be painting the hatch cover so will not be able to verify this.

So I knocked out a hatch cover in a couple hours which would have normally taken a few days (if in a heated shed). Like I said....I am impressed!

Normal disclaimer...No affiliation and all that.

I tried both the wood sealer and the gloss epoxy.

Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin - Wahoo International, Inc

But its poly, not epoxy.
And shockingly expensive as well.
Poly should be less than $10/quart on a bad day.

Last edited:
dimer,

I wonder how something like this would work on my teak doors that need to be refinished. UV protected, fast drying, clear, 1-part epoxy sounds like just the ticket for a fast and long-lasting door project. The price seems OK since it shaves so much time off an otherwise lengthy project.

I watched their video of the treatment of a wood tabletop. Looks similar to what I'd need to do with my doors. Hmmmm.....

Al, you would need to remove the doors but otherwise no problem. I should finish a table I a building tonight and will be epoxying it tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I will let you know how it turns out.

Cool! Get lots of pics. Ever try a video? You could raise the bar here on TF! :socool: :dance:

Yes, I'd pull all 3 doors and bring 'em home for a rehab. I was going to do one at a time because of the time required and limited space but am rethinking that approach with this fast-setting epoxy. I could pull them and replace them in a few days, especially if I have some help with the sanding.

I could easily fashion plywood substitute doors for the boat, if needed, but my dock has good security, several liveaboards regularly watching the 'hood and the USCG Station Vallejo off my transom. I doubt they'd be needed.

One question on this product. Is it fully cured in the 5 minutes you mentionned or just dry?
Epoxy with fast hardener will dry pretty fast if temperature is good but needs a week to fully cure, I wonder how both compare.

Lou, I am not sure. On one hand I doubt it is fully cured in just minutes (you can sand it and it is 'hard'), on the other, without an activator, what would the chemical mechanism be to continue the hardening process?

I filled a little bottle (about 3/4 inch diameter by 2 inch tall) put it in the sun, turning it after 5 minutes for a total of 10 minutes and then cut it in half with a band saw and it was 'hard' all the way through. Fully cured.....not sure.

dimer2, did it produce much heat when it kicked inside the bottle?

Not as hot as I expected. It must use a different chemistry somehow?

I like that it's hard, yet flexible, too. Interesting stuff!

Well....I got the first picnic table done before the rain and it came out just fine. The second, I did after the rain and I guess the humidity got me and I have some serious sanding to do. Sad part is I know better :banghead:

Al, I would lay your doors flat, put a coat or two of the sealer on, knock off the high spots and then hit it with the gloss. If possible, wait at least 30 minutes (I waited an hour), to let the brush marks settle and once nice and smooth, move it outside, keeping it level until dry. 3-5 minutes.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 151

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom