View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #23
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ex Sailor,
I've mixed a lot of my own linseed oil for our teak on the Willard and had mixed results. Works fairly well but a bit sticky for a few weeks and that is about half of it's time between coats. I used raw linseed oil, not purified and on the first few coats thinned w turpentine. Perhaps it wouldn't have been sticky if I had used boiled linseed oil on later coats. Easy to use if you don't mask. When it gets on hard surfaces like paint or gel-coat it attracts a lot of dirt and looks terrible. But if one recoats often enough it protects the wood and gives it the warm wood look most like. I also added about 10 % oil varnish after the soak-in coats.

This Tonkinios site reads a little like a snake oil presentation but I've seen it before .. enen on TF. Most here think oil based stuff is just too old school to be any good .. out w the old in w the new. But we prefer it.

Sure wish you could buy a can of paint w the ingredients listed on the can. It was required by law in the past. Phenolic resin and tung oil or what. Tonkinios dosn't say specifically what's in their product either. I learned years ago phenolic resin and tung oil was the best resin and oil. The vehicle was listed and the percentages of all were there for all to see. Make a cheap varnish? Sure. Just put in more vehicle (solvent) and less resin and oil. No way to tell now.

But I'd like to use some Tonkinios oil and see how it goes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote