Back up Camera, Watch Engine Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autoteacher

Vessel Name
Paradox
Vessel Make
Mainship
Hi anyone happy with their camera system? I would like to watch when I back into slip and monitor engine room. Wireless or wired? Use a tablet or laptop to view? What do you use? part numbers please

I will not be a lot of help but...

I have a rear facing camera on my boat that is mounted on the radar arch. It is a Raymarine and is integrated into my plotter display. I usually keep a window with the camera open on my second plotter display. Since I have poor visibility behind, it is nice to keep a watch behind without peeking around outside the PH. I use it much like a rear view mirror in a car. I could add a camera for the ER but have felt no need.

With the current placement of the camera it doesn't work for backing into a slip. The aft corners of the boat are hidden from the camera by the boat deck.

Yes, I am very happy with the camera system.

Whatever system you decide upon,consider a reverse image camera for the stern one.One less thing to think about,otherwise, you have to mentally reverse the image, because what you see on the left of the screen is actually the starboard side,and so on.

Whatever system you decide upon,consider a reverse image camera for the stern one.One less thing to think about,otherwise, you have to mentally reverse the image, because what you see on the left of the screen is actually the starboard side,and so on.

Not quite sure I get that.

Wouldn't you want the screen to show you the scene exactly as it would be if you turned around and looked?

Menzies - that is how my rear camera is set up, it almost shows the corner of the starboard and port sides. It helps but I'd not perfect, I would rather have remote controls that I could take to the stern while backing in. I also have six cameras in the bilge, all cameras are shown on Garmin plotters.

This is a live shot of my engine room.

Dlink, $89

I'm over a hundred miles from the boat right now. Could be on the other side of the planet for all it matters.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 212

Dlink, $89

I'm over a hundred miles from the boat right now. Could be on the other side of the planet for all it matters.

How does it connect to the web? 3G on request? Wireless set up on the boat with attached hard wire?

Here's the salon, live... :)

Gotta love night vision

Yes, Dlink $89 :D

Wireless of course. :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 286
How does it connect to the web? 3G on request? Wireless set up on the boat with attached hard wire?

I have a Cradlepoint MBR1200B router. $230
Plugged into that is a AT&T USB MIFI unit. $49

The boat network supports my alarm system, and when I'm on the boat it supports tv (apple TV) and laptops, and even a VOIP phone linking back to my office.

The AT&T MIFI unit uses my shared data plan.

Reverse monitors are like rear view mirrors. Our minds are already engaged to think along those lines. That's why ALL car reverse cameras are aligned the same way. If you don't use a reverse image camera then you'll likely find it clumsy at best...

Reverse monitors are like rear view mirrors. Our minds are already engaged to think along those lines. That's why ALL car reverse cameras are aligned the same way. If you don't use a reverse image camera then you'll likely find it clumsy at best...

As a FYI, All the Dlink cameras we ave can do forward, or reverse, or right side up or upside down, or any combination

:D:D:D

I have a Cradlepoint MBR1200B router. $230
Plugged into that is a AT&T USB MIFI unit. $49

The boat network supports my alarm system, and when I'm on the boat it supports tv (apple TV) and laptops, and even a VOIP phone linking back to my office.

The AT&T MIFI unit uses my shared data plan.

I like the sound of this setup. What sort of data do these cameras consume?

Ryan

Boyo makes a couple of night vision cameras. One allows normal vision, the other can be switched between normal and backup (reverse). These are wired systems which was my preference. I combined these with a generic 7" monitor which allows for two imputs. Thus I can toggle between a rear view and a close in side view for docking.

I like the sound of this setup. What sort of data do these cameras consume?

Ryan

Almost nothing if you artn't wantching them activly. I do not know the exact amount though.

Almost nothing if you artn't wantching them activly. I do not know the exact amount though.

Cheers ksanders,

I'm definitely going to explore this further. I've got a spare 4g router that I could throw a shared sim in which would most likely do the job. I'm just weary of the potential data consumption.

Ryan

Well, I can report back after putting 1 camera in the boat with my 4GX Telstra router, it's working fantastically. So much so that I've ordered a second camera with PT capability. I'll place a fixed camera in the engine room for monitoring whilst underway and the PT camera in the saloon which should enable me to view the entry point as well as battery monitor etc at the helm whilst I'm away from the vessel (I get paranoid with all the battery banks on the charger after a couple of near misses and like to keep a close eye on things).

Thanks again Kev.

Ryan

Well, I can report back after putting 1 camera in the boat with my 4GX Telstra router, it's working fantastically. So much so that I've ordered a second camera with PT capability. I'll place a fixed camera in the engine room for monitoring whilst underway and the PT camera in the saloon which should enable me to view the entry point as well as battery monitor etc at the helm whilst I'm away from the vessel (I get paranoid with all the battery banks on the charger after a couple of near misses and like to keep a close eye on things).

Thanks again Kev.

Ryan

What's the data usage like?

What's the data usage like?

Just checked and on each occasion I log in and look at the footage, it uses around 8 or 9 mb. Thats probably for about 30 seconds to 1 min of viewing which is all I really need for this purpose. The app has an option to view locally (same network) whilst I'm on the boat so I am hopeful that keeping the engine room camera live on the ipad whilst underway, it should only use local bandwidth and not route via the cloud. Need to confirm that though.

Ryan

Dlink, $89

I wonder if while you're away would you not want to raise the center floorboard and view if you have any gradual seepage into the bilge? (I had this issue because of a leaky deck fitting - bilge would accumulate water after a storm).

I need cameras. Thanks for sharing your results!

This is one of those areas that technology has advanced so much while cost has declined accordingly. The combination of alarms and cameras can really enable you to keep a good watch on your boat. Even if it's in a remote location where you're paying someone to periodically check on it, these systems are more than worth it. Even if you just anchored and dinghied to shore for dinner. One small warning, like all technology for those of us attracted to it, once you get one, you'll want two and when you get two, you'll want three.

It's also time for marinas to come into this century and install security cameras. Not so long ago small retail stores and homeowners couldn't afford cameras so put the stickers on the windows saying they had them while they didn't. Some even put up fake cameras. Today they can have real cameras for what the fake cost then.

Being able to monitor your boat while you are away gives you peace of mind in knowing that all is well on the boat.

I check the cameras pretty much daily, along with checking the other systems.

This morning I got a notification that the engine room temperature had dropped to 39 degrees. Even though the engine room heater will turn on automatically at 36 degrees, I decided to turn it on remotely.

Even though the boat is winterized, and even though I have a professional boat watch company check on it weekly, it sure is nice to know that the boats critical systems are operating properly, while I am enjoying life elsewhere.

:)

One of the advantages of having her at the bottom of the back yard!

Neighbors and Harbormaster can keep an eye when we are on vacation too!

Attachments

• P1000610.JPG
    P1000610.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 57

Definitely an advantage as for years that's always where our boat was. However, do you get a notification if the power goes off? Alarm on water in bilge? Intruder? When on vacation, what if something happens that neighbor can't check? And what if there's theft? Now, in all likelihood, what you have with the boat behind your house is all you need. Still there is that remote possibility. Do you have a security camera on your dock, in case someone decides to steal your boat?

Depending on others when far away, whether neighbors or businesses, is something I always want a double check of some sort on. It's horrific how many people have hired house sitters or pet sitters and found out the hard way. Pet sitter was in auto accident or just decided to stop doing it. Pets left without food, dogs left to urinate and defecate on the carpets. That's why reputable pet sitters and agencies now text you time stamped photos of your pets on their visits.

When I had my boat behind my house on the lake, I had no alarms that notified me or cameras. Today I would, simply because it's so easy and inexpensive. In the winter, I'd worry and check as often as possible to make sure the temperature was ok and the power still connected. Now, Kevin knows it's dropped to 39 degrees, wherever he might be.

Yes, I would love to keep the boat at the house!

People do not realize what it is like to live on the water. We have a dock in the front yard 40' from the house. We cant keep the ocean boat there, but we have a pontoon boat, and PWC's etc...

In looking back at a lifetime of decisions, good and bad, one of the best ones we ever made was to buy a waterfront home....something young people might consider as they make their decisions in life.

Can't be stolen, we are within a manned lock system. They all know the boat and me. :)

Bought a Pyle in March installed it on the T top, very pleased. Do not have to look down the side decks etc. Bought extra camera for the engine room. The 120 degree view means I see both engines and generator. Also when on passage etc people can check my well being when i'm down there. The best extra I fitted to the boat !!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGM6KM8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WR6ZSAC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a rear view camera but no longer use it. It was a help but judging distance was not very good. I now have an expensive but supper alternative to the camera. I walk around the boat with a dual frequency wireless control around my neck. Now critical maneuvers are done under direct vision and since my boat has wide walk around decks its easy to be where the action is and since I am usually alone on a 53 ft loa boat that is really important. If you don't have walk around decks and no wireless go for the cameras a lot better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom