Cheap Holding Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle911

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maurader
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Trawler
Hello,

I am looking for a cheap holding tank and hoses, ect. Where is a cheap place to purchase.

I'm in Canada

Thanks

I presume you mean a good price on quality parts. I wouldn't be looking for "cheap" when looking for a holding tank or hoses.

I've just invested in the cheapest, (but not nasty) holding tank there is, and installed a portable toilet. I finally gave up trying to salvage the electric toilet and holding tank I went through nightmares installing years ago, when the bright sparks who govern our state brought in restrictive legislation re raw sewage discharge, but failed to bring in concurrent legislation requiring the marinas to put in the pump-out facility. As a result, virtually no marinas here have that, and to get to a legal spot to discharge was a 5 hour trip for those of us with displacement boats, so of course you can deduce the outcome.

Finally my system, because we tried to use it as little as possible, seized up. Both pump motors and hoses - somewhere - I could not find it, and I was not going to strip it all out and replace it, only to still effectively have to operate illegally. So...once I finally came to the conclusion even if I got it all working again we would still not be able to be legal, two weekends ago I removed said loo, blanked off all hoses, closed the seacocks, fashioned a new toilet plinth cover to hide the hose connection holes, and I have installed a portable camping type toilet. Problem solved, now legal, no possible plumbing blockages and macerator pump seize-ups. Happy boater again. :D

But that was probably not what was in your mind...but maybe it should be..? :socool:

I cant see how what you have done is an investment :confused: I think it will make your boat a lot lot harder to sell .

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap holding tank and hoses, ect. Where is a cheap place to purchase.

I'm in Canada

Thanks

Ask around at your local marinas and see if you can fine someone who is taking out their old tank and hoses and reuse that stuff.

Your holding tank and sanitation hoses are not a good place for "cheap". This is something where quality counts.

You can search the Internet or local vendors for quality stuff and look for the best price on equal quality.

This is where I buy water and holding tanks. Very high quality which is much more important than cheap when installing a holding tank.
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

Before you buy the tank, get Peggie Hall's book and read it. You can save your self a lot of head aches. https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784

As for the hose, I'd love the chance to quote you on it. Shipping to Canada may make it too expensive but I'd like to try.

Toronto is close enough to the border to make it worthwhile to rent a US shipping address from someplace like a UPS store or similar independent store. I know a lot of Canadians who do this 'cuz it saves 'em a fortune in "international" shipping charges and customs brokerage fees that UPS charges...plus you get what you order a lot faster because it doesn't have to clear customs...YOU declare it if necessary when you bring it home.

A holding tank and a hoses are the last things you want to "cheap out" on...'cuz if you do, you'll be buying everything again after you've had to deal with odor and even spills. But that doesn't mean you have to pay top dollar either...at least not for the tank. As Parks said, Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

Hoses are another matter...cheap sanitation hose will permeate and stink very quickly...you really don't want to not only buy 'em twice, but go through all it takes to replace 'em twice. The ones that remain odor free are expensive, but worth it 'cuz you'll only have to buy and install 'em once. Raritan SaniFlex Raritan SaniFlex hose would be your best bet. Parks will give you a good price on it.

IMG_1480357458.646252.jpg

Cheap disposable holding tanks in the 40 count box

Can always make one from fiberglass.

Mine is and gel coated on the interior.

No smell or permeating after 28 years. Also last time I had it open, a gentle hosing brought that gel up sparkling white...I was impressed.

Use pvc pipe if still trying to cut costs, but beware, every transition in the pipe holds the possibility of collecting paper or solids and causing a jamb.

That said, many have done it and not had issues if we'll done/thought out.

Flex couplings/hose to hard points though as inevitably the is some working that can crack hard joints.

kyle911,

In Mississauga: Dedicated Plastic Tanks Inc. Every shape size and they'll do custom.

Space for a simple "Rectangular box tank"?

x2 using a US delivery address. Compare fees and whether you get charged if you don't drop everything and run down to get your packages. FWIW I use CBI.

RB

Rufus T, I like the way you think. It scares me sometimes, but I like it.

Kyke 911, given that you are subject to Cdn discharge laws, buying the cheapest!! seems is folly. Check out www.masplastics.com (1-800-648-9433)in Whitby. Issues with plumbing, now is the time to switch to ABS Schedule 40 rather than flexible tubes. The schedule 40 ABS will be considerably less expensive. As well MAS will make a tank any size you want. This is my new tank on a CC 381 increased the capacity to 100US gals which means fewer pump outs. The picture shows the tank without all the piping. The new tanks all connections are out of the top, but you could have one built with a bottom pump out. The company is worth a call and the price was very close to any other mfg. I Pad pictures 734.jpg

Don't use hose. Use ABS pipe, Cheaper, easier, will never permit gas through, just like your house. Use only 6" of hose at each connection

Boat poker. I agree, ABS is the answer all connections except for a few feet from the head or a place where hard connections need some flexibility should be hard. You could go to schedule 80, but 40 will suffice for our recreational requirements. To ensure that all smells are kept in the right pot I installed ABS check values as close to the head as possible. Worked great this summer.image.jpg

Boat poker. I agree, ABS is the answer all connections except for a few feet from the head or a place where hard connections need some flexibility should be hard. You could go to schedule 80, but 40 will suffice for our recreational requirements. To ensure that all smells are kept in the right pot I installed ABS check values as close to the head as possible. Worked great this summer.View attachment 59176

I switched to ABS in 1994 ..... not a hint of an odour since :)

Composting toilets?

Put a plastic bag on your existing head, no need for a bucket.
I have used grocery bags, just make sure they are not ripped.

So what do you do with the bag afterwards? Fertilize the yard?
Tie it shut and put in the big green dumpster.

Last edited:
Put a plastic bag on your existing head, no need for a bucket.
I have used grocery bags, just make sure they are not ripped.

So what do you do with the bag afterwards? Fertilize the yard?
Tie it shut and put in the big green dumpster.

As I believe mentioned earlier, putting sewage in the trash is illegal in most places. Even used cat litter.

While some third world countries use human waste as fertilizer, developed countries have learned that it carries disease and does not make "safe" fertilizer.

As I believe mentioned earlier, putting sewage in the trash is illegal in most places. Even used cat litter.

While some third world countries use human waste as fertilizer, developed countries have learned that it carries disease and does not make "safe" fertilizer.

Once on the hard, the marina bathroom was too disgusting for me. So I used my head, bagged it and took it home.

And I bet you all thought I chucked it into the marina trash can.
It can carry hepatitis etc... but I am not sick. What people have done for millennia is dig a hole and cover it up, or they just go in the streets. I know some people in Peru and they have seen that happen a lot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom