Forfjord Anchor 40lbs $50.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
At Boater's Discount Center in LaConner WA there is a 40lb Forfjord anchor. Has a bit of corrosion on the galvanize but almost no rust. It's a #4 that retails for over $800 from the manufacturer ... Kolstrand. $50.
Call 360 466 3540 ... Boater's Discount Center.
These anchors don't show up used very often and rarely at a reasonable price.
I'm just passing this along for my TF friends.

What length of chain would be best and what size links ? Is this too big for a 30' with fly bridge and 3 bilge pumps and alloy anodes ?

PS postage to Australia ? :)

At Boater's Discount Center in LaConner WA there is a 40lb Forfjord anchor. Has a bit of corrosion on the galvanize but almost no rust. It's a #4 that retails for over $800 from the manufacturer ... Kolstrand. $50.
Call 360 466 3540 ... Boater's Discount Center.
These anchors don't show up used very often and rarely at a reasonable price.
I'm just passing this along for my TF friends.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 122
Laurie, you need to get out more :rolleyes:.

gaston,
Actually not. These anchors have holding power perhaps south of a Claw so doubling the size is very appropriate. For your boat and mine this anchor size is of appropriate size. Too bad it's not bigger or there would be lots of takers.

Amount of chain? No different than most other anchors. "A few feet of chain" as Chapman puts it. The Forfjord has a heavy shank so possibly less chain may be required. But for those that think chain is a substitute for holding power ........ ?

Craig,
HAHA I had some thoughts of buying it for a mod job. Already have some ideas.
But I've not done the testing of modded anchors I already have. I think it could benefit from a stock bar. And maybe a fluke reversal. But it's never going to penetrate w a shank like that .. there's no hope of making a super anchor of it anyway.

I posted this because some people really like these things. Mostly fishermen though and those that can't lay their hands on a Forfjord get a Claw.

Last edited:
[QUOTE: But it's never going to penetrate w a shank like that .. there's no hope of making a super anchor of it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Eric,
You are correct. My Willard 40 came with a 80+ lb version of this anchor and I could never get it to set. This lead me to the Super MAX and then, eventually, the rest of the story on company.

The flukes of the Forfjord are so blunt they are very difficult to get them to dig in. Perhaps someone with a better touch than I have of allowing just enough rode out so the flukes actually point down into the seabed with the shank raised can be more successful. The weight of the Forfjord is definitely the factor and the heavier the better. I still have my old one somewhere in my shed. I would never sell it without a full disclosure of the challenges I had with the anchor and my belief of the lack of overnight security. Perhaps this is why fisherman and watermen use the Forfjord anchor for short term use.

Steve

Steve,
I had a 25# Forfjord in Alaska. Had to try the anchor most of the fishermen used. Wouldn't set on a bottom my trusty old small Danforth hooked right up on. Sold it to a fisherman for $1 a pound.
I think (but don't know) that they frequently to occasionally burry one fluke ahead or deeper and eventually rotate to one fluke buried and one fluke up above the seafloor. Much like a Kedge anchor. Didn't see that in Steve's (Panope) vids though. On a hard bottom it would be more likely to burry only one fluke. Even w both flukes buried Steve didn't get much performance from the Forfjord. Re the general type I prefer the Dreadnought or Navy. These non-burying types I call bull dozer anchors.

Last edited:
This anchor is still there unsold.
Obviously there's no AK fishermen around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom