Krogen 42 Fuel Tank Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry. Again, wonderful job. I'm envious of the sense of pleasure and satisfaction you must be experiencing. a job well done!! Also a real great source of info for us. Thanks and Congrats. Glen

Amen, and Amen!!

Thanks guys, but I'm not sure about the sense of pleasure. At times I think an ice pick in the forehead would be less painful. :lol:

Looking good Larry.

If I can make another couple of suggestions, consider putting Dri-Deck mat under things like your water heater, muffler, pumps, etc. I've found that keeps the areas under those kinds of things dry and it's easy to flush out under them to keep them clean as well.

And since I believe you are using wet cell batteries, think about dusting the bottom of your battery boxes with baking soda before putting the batteries in the boxes. The soda does a great job of soaking up and neutralizing and water/acid spills.

Thanks Bill, good suggestions. I'm using Dri-Deck in a few areas but not under the water heater or muffler yet. I'll check it out. The water pump is raised to keep dry and for vibration. I'll post a picture later.

I should have done the baking soda when I originally installed this set of batteries. When we removed them, there was acid in one box. :eek: It turns out, one of the T-105's leaked at the top seam, a manufacturers defect.

Here's what we've done for the water pump and the vacuum pump for the head. It's easy to check for leaks and I think it helps reduce noise/vibration. I still need to add a chafe bushing where the wires exit the wall plus plumb the pump in but we're getting close. Hopefully this weekend the plumbing will be done if Lena lets me out.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Here's what we've done for the water pump...I still need to add a chafe bushing where the wires exit the wall plus plumb the pump in but we're getting close.

Everything looks good, Larry. I will be interested to see how this install works out. I'm not happy with the location of my water pump. It's in the bilge under the electrical panel forward of the engine. I'd like to relocate it on the starboard side, proximate with the water heater and the water filters. The pump has failed twice and I believe it is because there is no filter prior to the pump. Are these pumps self priming?

Jim

She's alive! We have systems, well except for one. We hooked up the house/DC side and all is good except the inverter/charger. We have a old Zantrex that's now keeping the batteries topped off till we figure it out but the water, refrigeration, AC/heat, lights, head, etc. all are good. The thru-hulls are installed, bonded and the hoses hooked up or are ready to go. The sight tubes and deck fills are plumbed. We've changed the packing to GFO and the bottom is painted. The water-maker and cock-pit water we'll do in the slip. We may change the domestic water to PEX later. I stripped the old system out after 29 years and 4 owners and put it back using ½” PVC water hose just to get things up and running.

The engine, fuel lines from the manifolds, the starting DC wiring harness/cables will go in on Monday and hopefully we'll be back underway by Thursday or Friday. I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel - and I don't think it's a train coming our way. :lol:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 218
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 229
Are you going new on the manifold valves and the plumbing from the new tanks to the newly rebuilt engine?

:socool:

All new brass valves with SS ball/stems, new hose for the most part and we kept the copper lines mounted to the forward bulkhead. We've been talking about reconfiguring the system but that will have to wait. We're at the stage of just trying to get things done and avoid project creep. :)

Thanks. The hose barb won't accept two clamps, too short. It does have a 1/2 clamp on it though. That's one of the reasons to go to PEX, more robust connections.

I was thinking more of an extra clamp to secure the body itself to the bulkhead...

And since I believe you are using wet cell batteries, think about dusting the bottom of your battery boxes with baking soda before putting the batteries in the boxes. The soda does a great job of soaking up and neutralizing and water/acid spills.

It works!. I've done this for years and use a shop vac to clean up when new batteries put in.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of an extra clamp to secure the body itself to the bulkhead...

:facepalm: Thanks for checking. There's a SS bracket with rubber standoffs for the tank mounted to the wall with 2-#10x3/4" screws. The hose clamp goes behind that. It seems pretty solid.

I bought this expansion tank 7-8 years ago to replace the Jabsco that cost $180. We paid <$50 at one of the box stores. Maybe the difference in price is the marine industry calls it an accumulator tank and the domestic plumbing folks call it an expansion tank. :confused:

:facepalm: Thanks for checking. There's a SS bracket with rubber standoffs for the tank mounted to the wall with 2-#10x3/4" screws. The hose clamp goes behind that. It seems pretty solid.

I bought this expansion tank 7-8 years ago to replace the Jabsco that cost $180. We paid <$50 at one of the box stores. Maybe the difference in price is the marine industry calls it an accumulator tank and the domestic plumbing folks call it an expansion tank. :confused:

The item can be used in either application (accum. or exp.).
On a boat, in the cold water system its function is to increase the volume of the piping system and reduce cycling of the cold water pump. In a hot water system it is catering to expansion of the water as it is heated and prevents over pressure arising in the hw piping.

We're done or will be in another day. The engine was on her bed by 10:30 this morning and fuel in the tanks by 2pm with no leaks. Now it's just hooking up hoses and the engine electrical. We splash Wednesday afternoon and move to Ortega Landing Marina Thursday. Are we ready? :dance::D:dance::D

I have one more post planned where I'll try to give an accurate cost breakdown. Maybe next week.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and support. I maybe able to revert back to a normal sleep cycle now. :lol:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 138
Touchdown! Terrific, Larry. What an awe-inspiring account this has been. Thanks so much for letting us [virtually] share the experience.

Figured something out after the fact. It just so happened that, on Sunday, September 11, I was having lunch at the Sand Dollar Restaurant on Ft. George Is., and spotted a salty-looking KK-42 easing in to the St. Johns Boat Co. Nudging my companion, I said, now there's a very fine cruising trawler.

She's one heck of a lot finer now! Saludos!

Congrats, and a quick turnaround all things considered!

Awesome job, and one of the most timely projects of this size I have ever seen. Of course I know you have been out in front of this with planning and scheduling extraordinaire. It really makes all the difference when it comes to the Boat Yard Blues, but you set the bar. :thumb:

3 days is enough for the new mounts to settle, alignment after splash? Any time for her to regain her "in the water" shape?

Very nicely done,

:socool:

We're done or will be in another day. The engine was on her bed by 10:30 this morning and fuel in the tanks by 2pm with no leaks. Now it's just hooking up hoses and the engine electrical. We splash Wednesday afternoon and move to Ortega Landing Marina Thursday. Are we ready? :dance::D:dance::D

I have one more post planned where I'll try to give an accurate cost breakdown. Maybe next week.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and support. I maybe able to revert back to a normal sleep cycle now. :lol:

Damn Larry! You guys don't mess around. Congrats!

I'm not posting my stupid little projects (that take longer than your major project) anymore. [emoji23]

Awesome acomplishment, and timely compared to most tank replacements I know of, not to mention all the other work included in making Hobo's ER the sexiest of all 42's. Sincere congrats!

Nice job. It took me 2.5 years of long weekends to do what you did. I riped all the old copper out and went with 1/2 PEX. Cheap and easy to work with. It will out last me and I doubt it will leak. Go for it in the afternoon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom