Water Maker Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I have a guy coming next week to look at my set up and give me an estimate for installing a water maker.

I have the room for either a combined unit or a modular one. I am looking at a 100 gallon a day model.

He says he prefers to have a dedicated through hull for the water maker as pulling off an existing through hull for an engine/genny could introduce air into the cooling system.

I am not sure but I think my VacuFlush systems have through hulls even though they are set to fresh water flush.

So two questions.

Has anyone had one installed and what is the ball park cost.

If I an keeping my Vacuflush systems on the fresh water flush, any issues with re-purposing one of those through hulls (if they exist)?

I'd think about upsizing from 100 gallons per day (4.2 GPH) to a 600 gallon per day (24 GPH). We make water when the generator is running for a couple hours per day and are not water misers making ~40-50 gallons during that time. A dedicated through hull? I'd follow the manufacturers recommendations when spending 5 boat bucks at least.

I'd think about upsizing from 100 gallons per day (4.2 GPH) to a 600 gallon per day (24 GPH). We make water when the generator is running for a couple hours per day and are not water misers making ~40-50 gallons during that time. A dedicated through hull? I'd follow the manufacturers recommendations when spending 5 boat bucks at least.

That's another question I guess. Will this run happily off the 4KW inverter with an end of day couple of hours recharge from the genny?

If so I am not sure I want a 600 GPD system just to aim to get 50-100 from it only running part of the day?

My first hand experience is with Spectra water makers. I'm on my second (two different boats), and I'd do it again. Here are a few thoughts/considerations:

- At least the Spectra units require a dedicated intake, minimum size, and a forward facing scoop. I would not cut any corners, and if anything go one size up on the intake thru hull and hose.

- Think about how you will power the water maker (DC, or AC), and when such power will be available long enough to make the desired qty of water. If it's DC powered, then running the WM while underway will make the most sense. This is also when you tend to be in the clearest water. If it's AC, then you will probably want to run while the generator is running. So that means the time in the AM and in the PM when you otherwise run it to charge batteries, make hot water or whatever.

- Consider how much time you have the requisite power, and be sure you can make all your water in that time window. I think a 50 gal/day water maker will be pretty much useless. Our first unit was 200 gal/day, and we struggled to make enough water during our normal underway time. Our current unit is 1000 gal/day and it's great. We pay almost no attention to how much water we use, and are able to replenish while underway every other day or so. A 4-5 hr run will produce 200 gal or so. If you have an AC unit, figure out how much time you run your generator, and be sure you can make all your water in that time. BTW, I've never heard someone say they have too big a water maker.

- You don't want to make water in silty conditions. The water you make will be fine, but you will plug up filters pretty fast. Water rich with bio live will plug filters quickly too. New England and the PNW are both problematic in this respect. The Bahamas are great. I have always found the 2"x10" filters supplied with water makers to be too small. On both units I up-sized the filters to 4"x10" filters and they work much better. On my current boat I also installed a media filter and it works really, really well. As it plugs up, you just back wash it and continue to use it. This past summer I never needed to change my cartridge filters, which is a first ever.

- There is a wide range of automatic vs manual control and operation available of different models. You can save a lot of $$ by going with a manually operated unit. Or you can pay more and get push-button controls. I opted for the later, but that's just me. Pick whatever works for you.

- If a water maker is going to be left idle for more than a week or two, it needs to either be flushed with fresh water once a week, or it needs to be pickled. Keep this in mind when you consider how you will use it. Some water makers have automatic periodic flushing. Spectra is one. This let's you leave the water maker idle pretty much indefinitely and it will automatically flush once a week. All you need to do is supply power and be sure you have sufficient fresh water on board to perform the flushes. This is a really important feature for us given how we use our boat. If this is a feature that's important to you, there is something to check carefully. Parker/Village Marine has teh flush feature, but if power is interrupted, like if someone cycles the breaker on your shore power pedestal or there is a brief power outage, the system resets and the auto flush terminates. For us this was unacceptable since it made unattended operation impossible.

I think that's it. One thing I noticed at FLIBS this year is that pretty much everyone and their brother is making water makers now. So you should have lots to choose from.

Thanks for all that.

What about running an AC model off a 4KW inverter, yea or nay?

When in doubt go bigger! Our W/M makes 40ish gals an hour and and use it every couple of days when we run the genny. Don't think I could run it off the inverter as the A/C pump draws about 13 amps and the D/C pump draws about 4 amps. We used the raw water wash down thru hull for the W/M and built a manifold that allows us to select raw water or fresh water to the hose bib.
We went with the modular unit from Cruise RO. We liked this unit as its simple to run and no proprietary parts.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for all that.

You can but what you take out you have to put back. Unless you have a large solar system, running off the inverter only means more engine or generator run time to put the amps back. We've had 2 AC water makers. Our standard run is make water, charge battaries, heat water and try to charge what needs to get charged in usually 2.5 hours per day. A dc water maker will cost you a minimum of 1.2-2 amps/gallon.

You can but what you take out you have to put back. Unless you have a large solar system, running off the inverter only means more engine or generator run time to put the amps back. We've had 2 AC water makers. Our standard run is make water, charge battaries, heat water and try to charge what needs to get charged in usually 2.5 hours per day. A dc water maker will cost you a minimum of 1.2-2 amps/gallon.

OK, so if I am hearing everyone correctly, with a 16KW genny, I should go bigger AC based and make water when I am recharging the house at the end of each day? Planning on ~2-3 hours?

Larry is spot on. Only thing I would add is we have a cruise ro sm30 and run it underway alot as the water offshore is cleaner and the alternators handle the load thru the inverters.

Also be aware of ambient engine room temp if the water maker is installed there as the membranes don't like excessive heat.

Thanks for all that.

You would need to check the specs on the particular water maker. But I wouldn't advise it. That large a draw will drain your batteries down pretty quickly. If an AC water maker, just plan on running the generator. Otherwise go DC.

+ 1 for Spectra. I run the 400 GPD unit when underway, but don't need to run it every time. It seems to be about the right size. But if there ever was a next time I would likely go a size larger and install larger filters as per 'twisted tree' outline above.

My unit has a low power mode for running off the house bank, and I sometimes use it if the bank is in good shape and its going to be a really good day for solar power generation (2kW of panels).

CruiseRO make very good units, but the automation of the Spectra is really nice and has been trouble free.

Last edited:
OK, so if I am hearing everyone correctly, with a 16KW genny, I should go bigger AC based and make water when I am recharging the house at the end of each day? Planning on ~2-3 hours?

yes if you have 16KVA generator for for 1800Gal day that give you 75Gallon a hour the plenty, if you take a water maker with standard HP piston pompe 450 or 1800 gal day that going to consume same power so why don't go for large production.

I really have bad experience with Spectra I'm big fan of Sea Recovery you can go for Aqua Matic or Aqua Whisper DX or PRO this is easy to install membrane with extended HP hose and donc keep on machine (that take to much place)

I try DC water maker that really not good system...:face palm:

Last edited:
I think that's it. One thing I noticed at FLIBS this year is that pretty much everyone and their brother is making water makers now. So you should have lots to choose from.

this is totally incredible every brand doing water maker I saw that to FLIBS too:banghead:

no place for every body :confused: this is mall market and to much competitor

Last edited by a moderator:

we run a 75gal/H water maker on 4Kw inverter but effectively on 3kw solar system but if cloud pass you can see how you such batteries :banghead:
we going to extend to 6Kw solar system just waiting from stainless steel guy since month to extend structure for panel :mad:
can't wait to see how is going with all panel :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I an keeping my Vacuflush systems on the fresh water flush, any issues with re-purposing one of those through hulls (if they exist)?

yes no problem.
For sure never on main engine or generator
may be on other one like air con if you have no choice but anti return valve can be nice on both way.

Here is some food for thought...

Before selecting a watermaker think about how you are going to operate it. What I am meaning is think about how you are going to operate the controls on the unit.

If considering a unit that is self contained, you are either going to need a remote panel to operate it from, or you are going to have to be in front of the unit. Many watermakers require you to turn a knob while looking at a pressure gauge.

On many boats it would be challenging to find a place to install a self contained unit. where you could comfortably see the front.

I believe that looking over your boat with an eye towards actually operating the unit will result in you being steered towards a type of watermaker and a mounting location.

As far as size goes, bigger is better. We had a 7 GPH watermaker and found that we had to run it much more than we really wanted to. It was a DC single piston unit (katadyne) and although great quality, it was noisy, with a thump, thump, thump sound, for 7-8 hours a day.

We replaced it with a 40GPH unit that we run for 1-2 hours a day and it's noise is not noticable over the sound of the generator.

That is something you really want to think about with the DC units. A boat at anchor without the generator on is dead quiet. If you are running the watermaker at anchor for several hours a day that might encroach on your enjoyment.

I'd get a basic model with as little electronic bells and whistles on it as possible.

I will second that!

We've used a 300 gpd Spectra for something like 14 years now. Although it is more work, the valves are simple to use and dead reliable.
On the new boat, we have elected to go with as large an a/c 120 volt unit as we can fit. In this case it is an 800 gpd US Watermker model. It is pretty basic and made of very standard "off the shelf" components for the most part.
Bigger is better and simple is good!
By the way, cruising with a watermaker is simply a heavenly luxury. Water whenever you need it, no need to worry about conserving...you'll love having it!
Bruce

Background, my set up is a 400 US gallon per day DC system (Spectra). When I run it I run it for two to two and a half hours off the batteries, then turn on the generator to finish off three hours of watermaker run time and recharge batteries. The generator is usually on for 45 minutes or an hour.

When I have both good sun and high wind the solar panels and wind generator can supply power to the watermaker.

My comments: Size you watermaker so that three hours or less per day will supply you with the water you need. We have and use a washing machine on board and use a fair amount of water.

Running a generator three hours a day for an AC watermaker is done by many but is not my choice. One and a half hours a day of generator time fills all my needs.

An AC system has the drawback that you are dependent on the generator. A DC system will allow you to operate off the batteries. I have spent a couple of weeks at anchor recharging the batteries using a combination of wind, solar and engine run time and have still used the watermaker. I know of two boats with AC systems that had to leave the anchorage to seek out water when their generator malfunctioned.

I have a Spectra automated system. Wonderful when it is working, but the sensors which control the automated elements of the system are the big weakness. Twice a year I have problems and to date all the problems have been related to the automated elements of the system. Fortunately, I have been able to switch to manual operation while I figured out how to fix the sensor involved. If I had to do it over again I would buy a non-automated 12 volt system.

Be careful where you mount your system. You will need to work on it and thus need to be able to access the system comfortably.

You need two thru-hulls for your watermaker. Conventional wisdom is that these should be dedicated.

If you install a DC system oversize the wires as many of the DC systems are sensitive to voltage drops. Also install a battery switch or breaker in the wiring so that you can shut off all power to the unit cleanly. I initially used a max fuse and found the process for removal of the fuse sent fluctuating power to the watermaker control panel with negative consequences.

You need two thru-hulls for your watermaker. Conventional wisdom is that these should be dedicated.

One below the waterline for pickup but the other can be above the line for discharge?

How much area does a manual DC system take up? I have an area in my lazerette I might like to install one if we ever decide to go anywhere other than the ICW.

Or is it easier to just buy water if not living aboard full time, or for months at a time? Like in the Bahamas for example?

My fresh water tanks hold 130 gallons.

Last edited:
One below the waterline for pickup but the other can be above the line for discharge?

The brine discharge can be T'ed into any overboard drain if it's easier.

And as others have said, go with a larger daily capacity unit. Unless of course you are running your genset pretty much full time once you leave the dock.

But even then I'd get a higher output one than 100 gallons per day.

How much area does a manual DC system take up? I have an area in my lazerette I might like to install one if we ever decide to go anywhere other than the ICW.

Or is it easier to just buy water if not living aboard full time, or for months at a time? Like in the Bahamas for example?

My fresh water tanks hold 130 gallons.

If you stay a marinas most of the time, even if you're in the Bahamas, buying water might be the way to go.

:thumb: You can buy a lot of water for $5-10,000 or more.

Right now in the Exumas water is between 60c and 90c per gallon.

So $7K would buy you between 7,777 and 11,666 gallons.

If you use 100 gallons a day, that is between 77 and 116 days, double that if you only use 50 gallons a day - 144 and 232 days.

We are spending 3 months in the Exumas in the spring. That's 90 days. Most of the cost will be recovered pretty quickly at those rates.

I have a 350 gallon tank.

Right now in the Exumas water is between 60c and 90c per gallon.

So $7K would buy you between 7,777 and 11,666 gallons.

If you use 100 gallons a day, that is between 77 and 116 days, double that if you only use 50 gallons a day - 144 and 232 days.

We are spending 3 months in the Exumas in the spring. That's 90 days. Most of the cost will be recovered pretty quickly at those rates.

I have a 350 gallon tank.

60/90c gal that very very expensive better to drink wine :thumb:
in our harbor I was thinking was expensive at 10c gal produce by public water maker

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom