Losing Oil Pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After swapping the senders, can you swap the wires to the gauges to see if it is a gauge fault?
I have a temp gauge which runs 30F above reality, as confirmed by an IR shot at the sender, it can happen.[ I might be able to g/QUOTE]

Tomorrow, I will install the mechanical oil pressure gauge. If all checks good, then the wire swapping will be my last resort.
I think I might be able to get to it from underneath, if I cant, pulling the dash out is not too bad of a job, just have to be delicate.

I had a similar problem the first year I owned my boat. In my case the oil pressure would go to 0. I eventually got rid of my Stewart Warner oil gauges and sender and went with Faria. The cost was half that of replacing my Stewart Warner gauges and I have had no problem since.

Happy Ending

Yesterday, I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Started the engine at 60 PSI, then slowly drifted down to 55. I ran the engine for an hour at the dock at 1800 RPM in reverse gear for a load. Guess what? Nothing happened, the engine just sat there steady at 55 PSI. Great news, I can now sleep better and plan my trip southward next week. I will leave the mechanical gauge in place and use it. Although I only drive from the fly bridge, I make engine room checks about every 45 mins to an hour and the alarm buzzer thingie is hooked up so I am not worried about a real live oil drop.

So now I know that the problem is not the "T", nor the alarm sender nor the pressure gauge sender. There are only two things left (Ithink), either the gauge is defective or there is some sort of wiring conflict. I will put the sender wire from the good engine (port) and put it on the suspect engine's (starboard) gauge and that will tell me if the gauge is defective.
Anyway, now I can sleep tonight.

Thanks for all the help. I really learned a lot.

Back
Top Bottom