Radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

Not wanting to send ( @ + shipping both ways ) my 88 vintage Furuno Radar for repairs to WA USA, I took this thing to a local Ontario and former Furuno repair guy but I am not optimistic as I have not heard from him in a while. The initial guess was that the Magnatron was gone ..... I would like to replace the whole thing with something new but I do NOT want to run the new 1" dia ?? multi conductor cable all the way to the scanner on the arch, it's just not possible to squeeze through !!. That said .... is there anything out there in entry level newer or in digital radars that will only need a Cat 5 data or other small cable to power the scanner ... ? Wireless would be even better ! There is not much info in this regard on the internet that I could find and our boat show here in Toronto will be sometime in January if I was to look at the various manufacturers.

Thanks in advance .. FB

Furuno makes a wireless radar that will display on an Ipad or Iphone. You do have to pull in power wiring but that is all. You might be able to split the power leads out of your existing cable and use them. Functionality isn't as comprehensive as a wired unit. The cost about $1,300 US plus your i-device for the display.

I have a theory that if something was done once, it can be done again. Even installing radar cables through too tiny holes. Been there, done that, and to just reinstall the same ___ radar. (That's why I added another hole through the flybridge deck.)

It's a kinda' lousy theory.

I installed a Furuno 1750??? about 10yrs ago. Like the unit, basic but reliable, paints pretty well, not many bells and whistles, but I don't use any of that fluff.

As I recall, one end of the cable has a big fat plug to go into the back of the display, the other end of the cable was terminated lead by lead in the radome. The cable is about 1/2" diameter. I know I did not need to fish the plug through as the holes I drilled in the chase structure were only 5/8". So without remembering all the details, I do know I did not need to sneak the fat plug through the chase, just the cable itself.

The wireless Furuno mentioned above looks interesting. One negative is that most tablet displays don't work well in sunlight, but that probably isn't the weather that you will have when you need it.

Expanding a bit on Ski's advice above, modern digital radar cables have gotten much, much smaller than your old 1" diameter cable, probably 3/8". If you can pull your old cable out with a pull string attached, you can almost certainly pull a new cable back through.

David

The Garmin GMR18 uses a Cat5 cable and a separate power cable. The Cat5 uses a standard RJ45 connector and one is supplied with the system. You could use your existing power and just pull in the new data cable.

Works quite well for me.

I believe other than wireless...the broadband radars just need cat 5 cable and per cable.

Both easier to run...especially if you can run the cables without any connectors.

When I installed our Garmin GMR 18 HD a few years ago, I had the same problem of holes too small for the connector to pass through. The local company I bought it from said just cut the connector off and solder it back on to the individual wires after fishing the new cable. I tied a line to the previous Raymarine cable as a fishing line, after cutting it's connector, removed the old cable, and with fear and trepidation cut off the Garmin connector, attached it to the line, fished it back through and re-soldered. Had heard that one is not supposed to do the cutting/re-soldering thing, but the radar has worked flawlessly since installation. Oh, I did have to remove the headliner to prod things along a bit. A pain, but no biggy.

When I installed our Garmin GMR 18 HD a few years ago, I had the same problem of holes too small for the connector to pass through. The local company I bought it from said just cut the connector off and solder it back on to the individual wires after fishing the new cable. I tied a line to the previous Raymarine cable as a fishing line, after cutting it's connector, removed the old cable, and with fear and trepidation cut off the Garmin connector, attached it to the line, fished it back through and re-soldered. Had heard that one is not supposed to do the cutting/re-soldering thing, but the radar has worked flawlessly since installation. Oh, I did have to remove the headliner to prod things along a bit. A pain, but no biggy.

This is exactly what I was about to write. Except if you have a cablel with dozen of thin wire that could be a real pain to solder, cut the connector, pass the cable and put it back. Just be careful not to cut it right on the connector to keep som cable length to be able to solder it.
To pass the cable itself you can directly attach it to the old one and pull the old one all the way, same way it is often done in house.

You don't have to re solder the cable. Garmin sells a replacement connector for just a few dollars.

My old 4' open array Furuno radar died a couple of years back. It would not rotate, and the tech was not sure whether it was a board or the stepper motor. Parts are available but not that cheap, so factor in labor and the best way forward was to ditch it.

Furuno's DRS2D and DRS4D radars use a Cat5 plus a power cable of the same size in a figure 8 format. Both cables plug into a Furuno MFD, no seperate power supply needed. Or you can run the Cat 5 to a network switch (or router), and then display where ever you want. Best to leave the cat 5 plugs on, so a 1/2"hole is needed to run the cable.

..time to move at a new one solid state radar.. pick your brand, furuno, raymarine, garmin or simrad.. all are incredible clean and much more reliable...

The Garmin GMR18 uses a Cat5 cable and a separate power cable. The Cat5 uses a standard RJ45 connector and one is supplied with the system. You could use your existing power and just pull in the new data cable.

Works quite well for me.

Thank you, that would be doable, I will look into this ...... FB

Im looking into this New Furuno Doppler. $1874 @ GPS Store

Product Detail - DRS4DNXT

Very Advanced, low power consumption. The new Garmin Doppler looks good too. Also deciding between two MFD's Furuno TZT2 12 and the Garmin 7612. Any one have them yet? Reviews?

Im looking into this New Furuno Doppler. $1874 @ GPS Store

Product Detail - DRS4DNXT

Very Advanced, low power consumption. The new Garmin Doppler looks good too. Also deciding between two MFD's Furuno TZT2 12 and the Garmin 7612. Any one have them yet? Reviews?

Sorry, no experience yet, but I'm looking at the identical Furuno gear. Panbo loves this stuff--especially the Doppler--says it redefines radar. If you get it, please post your impressions.

This is exactly what I was about to write. Except if you have a cablel with dozen of thin wire that could be a real pain to solder, cut the connector, pass the cable and put it back. Just be careful not to cut it right on the connector to keep som cable length to be able to solder it.

You don't have to re solder the cable. Garmin sells a replacement connector for just a few dollars.

You can buy a simple CAT5 crimper and plugs for a few bucks. NO NEED to solder anything. IT guys use these all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_8?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=cat5+crimper&sprefix=cat5+cri%2Clawngarden%2C156&crid=2WZGXE1J7DGKH&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Acat5+crimper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom