Any vintage 4X4 owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
Whatcha got, or used to have?
I've owned quite a few, more than I need to say :facepalm:
One I've kept, 1988 Chevy Silverado, fully loaded 4X4, 1 ton dually single cab, 454/400, no rust 19,000 original miles, all original including faded grey paint.

IMG_0912.png

I've got a 1989 S-10 4wd 4.3 liter 5sp manual. Shop work truck, has about 160k miles on it. Called the "Mule". Small, strong, and bucks. No way can you feather that clutch to get a smooth start!!!! It is going to buck.

Attachments

• 122004 007.jpg
    122004 007.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I'm Land Rover lover, I was owning a lot, for now the only vintage Land Rover on my hand is a 109 firetruck from 60 whit low low milage

147970219315753.jpg

Bought this Wista 4x5 after seeing an ad in a magazine when I was 20. Had never seen one "in real life" until the box arrived in the mail. Figured if large format was what Ansel, Minor, Edward, and Imogen were using, it was good enough for me!

Oh crap...you said 4x4, not 4x5 :facepalm:

Attachments

• Wista & Badger, Kitkatla Inlet '13.jpg
    Wista & Badger, Kitkatla Inlet '13.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I've got a 1989 S-10 4wd 4.3 liter 5sp manual. Shop work truck, has about 160k miles on it. Called the "Mule". Small, strong, and bucks. No way can you feather that clutch to get a smooth start!!!! It is going to buck.

a twin engine that not so common :eek::D

Nice truck ski, the one below came from Charlotte, that rover is a keeper tug :thumb:

another keeper of mine, 1987 Chevy 4X4 stepside shortbed, last of the square body's, 109,000 miles, 350/manual 4 speed, no rust, one previous owner, all original.

Wife tells me I'm sick ;)

IMG_0775.jpg

Last edited:
1944 Willys-Overland MB, 1/4 ton, 4x4.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Well since thris thread is drifting, here's my truck. 2002 Dodge with a Cummins 6BT 220 HP. 420,000 miles and just getting broke in. Still gets 23 MPG.

20161121_084843.jpg

My mechanic also details the truck for me. He gets a little carried away in the engine compartment. Use to run a pit crew for a dirt track race team. They're use to cleaning everything. Not sure I needed the battery and cables that clean and shiny.

20161121_084922.jpg

Ted

2016 F150 4x4 5.0 crew... it will be vintage if I keep it...

Series IIa 109 ex MOD land rover. It is pickled and sitting in a shipping container for storage until we return in a couple of years. I'll see if I can get a pic up

Series IIa 109 ex MOD land rover. It is pickled and sitting in a shipping container for storage until we return in a couple of years. I'll see if I can get a pic up

so that RHD ?;)

No, actually it is an original LHD. In the ex-MOD vehicles, they would do either during build depending on which countries they were shipping to. They are easily switched to either if you study the set up and cross linkages. Even the bulkhead was set up for either.

It was originally an ambulance. It has had a "civilian" conversion and now can be either a soft or hard top or pickup because its a three door, not a five door. They are cool trucks!

101tug, as a side note we should be passing St. Barth this spring enroute form Puerto Rico to Grenada or Trinidad. We will he in San Blas this winter, then Cartagena in April before heading to PR. Maybe we can exchange Land Rover stories....

No, actually it is an original LHD. In the ex-MOD vehicles, they would do either during build depending on which countries they were shipping to. They are easily switched to either if you study the set up and cross linkages. Even the bulkhead was set up for either.

It was originally an ambulance. It has had a "civilian" conversion and now can be either a soft or hard top or pickup because its a three door, not a five door. They are cool trucks!

big job to make conversion to ambulance to 3 door ...:face palm:

we did some conversion from RHD to LHD on Defender some days of job:D

101tug, as a side note we should be passing St. Barth this spring enroute form Puerto Rico to Grenada or Trinidad. We will he in San Blas this winter, then Cartagena in April before heading to PR. Maybe we can exchange Land Rover stories....

for sure make a stop to ST Barth and I will give you a Landy to make island tour :thumb:

You welcome to St Barth any time just send me message some days before.

winter spring you know in Caribbean we don't really know when is it :D

Here you go:

And speaking of hp, it has the 8:1 high compression head for a whopping 81hp. Good thing the diffs are 4.71 :)

As for the conversion, the chassis is essentially a pickup, then they would add the various rear tubs depending on application. So remove ambulance tub, and replace with pickup tub. The reason it can be soft or hard top is the lack of the second row doors as the top hinge needed a hard top mount.

The ex ministry of defense is nice because the new build had different specs to include frame undercoat, removable frame cross members, oil cooler, 2" higher ride height, heavier duty cooling system, gusseted axles, black out tail lamps, dual gas tanks with valving accessible while driving, etc. etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Here you go:

And speaking of hp, it has the 8:1 high compression head for a whopping 81hp. Good thing the diffs are 4.71 :)

As for the conversion, the chassis is essentially a pickup, then they would add the various rear tubs depending on application. So remove ambulance tub, and replace with pickup tub. The reason it can be soft or hard top is the lack of the second row doors as the top hinge needed a hard top mount.

The ex ministry of defense is nice because the new build had different specs to include frame undercoat, removable frame cross members, oil cooler, 2" higher ride height, heavier duty cooling system, gusseted axles, black out tail lamps, dual gas tanks with valving accessible while driving, etc. etc.

Beautiful Land Rover. Congratulations!

Here you go:

nice long time ago I owned 109 exmod

and 5 years ago series one 80 (picture with our previous OA 66')

but don't talk to me about Land Rover, I can not count how much I got, but now I'm more Defender from Series

147994287636404.jpg

147994291865951.jpg

"FWD" FOUR WHEELS DRIVE STANDARD TRACTOR TRUCK TYPE B (1917).

- Wisconsin gasoline engine of 390 cid, 4 cylinders
- 4 wheels drive
- Cotta transmission 3 gears
- Brakes on the 4 wheels - maximum speed 25 Km/h
- Steel Wheels
- Full rubber bandage on wheels (no pneumatic tires)
- Covered plate back-body for transport of munitions
- Price at the time: 4600 USD.

1912: creation of the “Four Wheel Drive Car Company” in Clintonville (Wisconsin) by Otto Zachow and William Besserdich after having built an experimental truck of 2 T.
1914: production of many trucks of 3 & 5 T.
After a conclusive test, the American army bought 15,000 FWD in 4x4 for the
First World War. The famous model B, built since 1912, comprised a four-
cylinder motor, one limps Cotta with three reports/ratios, its speed on the road
was 25 km/h. During the 1° World war, this truck was also produced by
KISSEL, MITCHELL and FIRST, in order to face the needs. Its payload was 3
tons on any ground, and 5 tons on road. On the whole, 15,000 models B trucks
were delivered to the American Army. Then the production turned to civil uses
until in the Twenties. The FWD of the type B were used in 1916 in Mexico by the American Army,
within the framework of the operation “captures of Pancho VILLA”.
1917: William Besserdich leaves the company to found the mark “Oshkosh”
1942: in this period of effort of war, the firm manufactures much for the army
1950: the range extends to road tractors 6X4 for long distance with renown
models such as 'Tractionneer' and 'Teracruzer'.
1960: change of denomination for “FWD Corporation”.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
One of the last Series III rovers imported to the U.S. 1974.

Flew out and icked this ol feller up in idaho last week, making my way back to Texas. 450 miles at go out of a 2000 mile journey. Picture is in Red River NM.

1985 GMC 1 ton 4X4 dually, single cab big block, hard to find not all tore up.

IMG_5533.jpg

/\
Sounds like a red neck post to me :facepalm: that's what happens after many hours on the road and a raging head cold :blush:

img_506146_0_5f70d77fec05bada882f07f436ee10e7.jpg
My '79 CJ5 which is sadly no longer with us. Bought because of the fun we had 4 wheeling on Nantucket in a rented YJ, going to work in her made each day an adventure. I could always find her in a parking lot.

B17185E7-24A9-4F6A-A681-B8E6EBE83F53.jpg

My daily driver for the last 12 years is a 1988 HJ-61 LandCruiser. My son drives a 1991 LJ-78 LandCruiser.

I also have a 1977 FJ-40 in pretty original condition. Just needs some work. I've owned it for 25 years.IMG_0198.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot the forever faithful 96 4Runner, mom, me and two college kids. I'm repoing it[emoji41]

1989 Toyota FJ62 Landcruiser.
No pics on this computer, but I'll get something up later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom