For The Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
I seriously contemplated putting this in Off Topic but chose General instead, apologies to the pedantic purists among us.

We have a 13 year old Beagle whom deserves a little extra comfort in her advanced years. Can any of you fellow pet owners offer a recommendation for a heated bed/blanket? Are the low voltage ones effective? What do you use to help comfort your old companion?

Thank you.

Many years ago I had a beagle who came to work with me every day (still miss Cinnamon :cry:). During the winter months the floor to the store was cold with only carpet over the concrete. Took a heating pad and put it in a folded blanket. Set on low, it was economical and perfect for a dog bed. Usually once a month I would take it home and run it through the washing machine.

Tough challenge these days is to find a heating pad without an automatic off feature based on time.

Ted

Amazon has "Riogoo" heated pad for dogs. $24. Sorry our app doesn't let me link to it.

I originally found these Kane heat mats on farm supply websites while searching for heat pads to keep my darkroom chemical trays at a constant temperature without having to heat the whole darkroom to tropical rain forest temperatures;

http://www.kanemfg.com/pet-heating/

Here's a site that lists how many watts each size will draw;

Kane Heat Mats for Tortoises

**EDIT** While typing this it occurred to me Badger's engine might enjoy having one tied up snug under the oil pan during winter months while berthed in the marina...

Last edited:
Also consider the type of heating mats made for use under seed starting trays. Waterproof plastic mat, washable.

Should have added; the Kane mats are waterproof as well.

Funny as I thought the last water bottle in the world belonged to me. Last time she got my water bottle really was the last time as she really didn't like it for some odd reason. She's not a chewer by nature but made an exception for my beloved bottle. Think I'll go with one of the suggested waterproof heating pads it's just that pesky auto-off after 2 hour feature I was hoping to avoid.

Thanks much gang

A waterbed heater is water proof, set by temperature and fairly cheap.

I don't believe so RT but will have my electrician upgrade the outlet nearest her favorite spot to GFCI this week for peace of mind. Funny you mention the Redbone as we have focused on either Redbone or Blue Tick as the eventual successor.

Of course, if the undercoat is thick enough, they really don't get cold :thumb:

Attachments

• Zain, Hirsch Creek, 2010.jpg
    Zain, Hirsch Creek, 2010.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 153
I had a friend who's dog managed to burn his house partially chewing on the 110electric cord. Maybe one made for pets? For safety of all.
May have been prior to GFCI's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom