DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A large flat surface to do layout and lay pieces flat while sewing is really helpful...maybe essential...to doing a neat job. You might look for a location ashore to set up when doing lg pieces.

Another worthless comment :), if you have the luxury of a large sewing surface, I highly recommend that you cover the top area with a decent bath towel. I have ruined vinyl pieces because of the table edges scrapping the poop out of the vinyl. I attached my towel with velco so it is easy to remove when not needed.

I first tried a cheap Wally World towel, works if you want to put up with the towel disposing thread loops as it unravels. Better to spend a little more for the towel.

how large need to be the place to make usual job?

Hugues

Depends on the size of the panel being worked on...ideal being able to lay flat while feeding in & out of the machine head. If not best to fold or roll the piece up while working on it but that requires unfold/unroll and re do at end of each side so its doable with less space but adds time.
It becomes difficult if the panel hangs over and tends to pull the working area away from the needle & intended line you are trying to stitch.
Folding tables can be helpful

Depends on the size of the panel being worked on...ideal being able to lay flat while feeding in & out of the machine head. If not best to fold or roll the piece up while working on it but that requires unfold/unroll and re do at end of each side so its doable with less space but adds time.
It becomes difficult if the panel hangs over and tends to pull the working area away from the needle & intended line you are trying to stitch.
Folding tables can be helpful

Ok copie :thumb:

Binding tape Vs folded hem

I am trying to get an understanding of the preferred use of binding tape Vs using a folded hem for canvas work.

My sewing machine came with a very nice swing away binding tape attachment, but on the canvas jobs that I've looked at (mostly stuff I had done in the past), they didn't seem to utilize binding tape.

What are your thoughts???

Binding is used on most boat Bimini's, side panels, mooring covers etc to finish a sometimes curving edge shape and to tie several layers together neatly....canvas, facing, reinforcing, vinyl window, etc. If everything was square guess hemming would do the same but easier & neater w binding.
For bags, tarps, sun screens where edges are mostly straight hems work fine.

Take a look at a few canvas boat covers and look at the binding...try to imagine if\ how you could do it w hems.

Binding is used on most boat Bimini's, side panels, mooring covers etc to finish a sometimes curving edge shape and to tie several layers together neatly....canvas, facing, reinforcing, vinyl window, etc. If everything was square guess hemming would do the same but easier & neater w binding.
For bags, tarps, sun screens where edges are mostly straight hems work fine.

Take a look at a few canvas boat covers and look at the binding...try to imagine if\ how you could do it w hems.

Great explanation. Thanks!!

I have a different opinion. I find binding tape a BPITA and avoid using it completely. My first canvas project for my boat saw its use. A couple of reasons to avoid using it include sewing anything with curvature, both an inside and outside curve. The other reason for me at least is that I try to sew such that all canvas piece parts avoid an edge/fold that points upwards. I feel that an upward edge offers opportunities for water collection.

Another thing I try to do when sewing vinyl is that I close stitch the bottom of the window (#5 on my Juki, wide is #9). Again this is in an attempt to minimize water leaching between the vinyl and the canvas.

For those who proclaim bias is the way to go...... go for it; I will not use it.

I have a different opinion. I find binding tape a BPITA and avoid using it completely...

For those who proclaim bias is the way to go...... go for it; I will not use it.

I can appreciate the reasons you state.
I'm self taught so look at lots of work and try to copy the best.
Can you post some pics of examples of your edges?
Always willing to learn something new.

Sure... I have some canvas on my living room floor (Wifey NOT happy) that I made for installation this spring. But there are buts! I don't know how to post pictures. OH and I am a novice, far from expert.

I will take some pictures with my IPad although I will need help to post them. Got booted out of the living room so I moved to the family room. Wifey still not happy but my office is impossible with desk, printer, computer, shredder, sewing machine and the list goes on. Now of course Wifey has a nice large room for her exercise equipment plus every closet in our 4 bedroom house with kids looong gone. :)

Foggy

From PC go to manage attachments
From phone/ rablet app reply then attachments should work
Thnx

I took pictures of one canvas....one I forgot to close stitch the vinyl's bottom. The long piece of canvas is a header that fits into an awning track; a canvas panel zips into the header.

This piece along with 2 others are new and do not have snaps attached to the bottoms yet, I'll do that at the boat next spring. Now the purpose for the header is two fold. First I do not use smiles, another PITA for me so I avoid them. My approach is to unzip the top at the header along with the sides and lower the entire panel which rests on the consol.

The panel edges....been a while since I first used this method so I screwed up the width which I will explain. First I cut 6" strips and fold both long edges using two sided tape about 3/8". My screw up with three new panels is that I folded the edges about 1/2". After folding I then (fabric looks like U with the edges folded inwards) sew the edges. After sewing in the vinyl, I add the zipper. The screwup is I short changed the area I normally use for velcro. The goal is to have each panel zipped together plus velcro to stop the wind from blowing the panels open.

Going to post this now and hope I will see some pictures.

EDIT: Yes--- I really do use binding tape---check their brown stuff I used as a zipper stop.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Just a comment-- there ars some line marks on at least one corner--- just chalk, forgot why I marked it. The P is for port side.

DON--- THANK YOU for your picture posting instructions!!!!

Part of learning a new skill is practice. Baby steps here.

So...

I decided to try sewing leather with my new sewing machine.

I bought a cow hide online and decided to make a pillow. I had no idea just how big a cow hide is!

But alas, I made a pillow and am so proud of the new skill that I'm learning. :D:D:D

BTW making a pillow mght seem like a simple task to someone but it's more complex than one thinks. :nonono: You have to think in reverse, since you sew it inside out.

As a FYI I cannot be happier with my sewing machine. That baby just sewed through four thicknesses of leather plus two thicknesses of Velcro and didn't even blink!! :dance:

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
ksanders, that is a compact machine for its remarkable ability. I was expecting something industrial on a stand with an external belt drive.
foggysail, your banishment is well deserved. My mother and sisters sewed, using the lounge room floor to cut and pin cloth to pattern. Many a pin or needle lurked on the carpet, waiting for a bare foot to attack.

foggysail, your banishment is well deserved.

????????????

And I cut my fabric/vinyl on my kitchen floor and carry my piece parts upstairs to my crowded office where I do have an industrial stand with a belt driven sewing machine. My small office also serves many purposes besides sewing for personal, not professional use.

Last edited:
Part of learning a new skill is practice. Baby steps here.

So...

I decided to try sewing leather with my new sewing machine.

I bought a cow hide online and decided to make a pillow. I had no idea just how big a cow hide is!

But alas, I made a pillow and am so proud of the new skill that I'm learning. :D:D:D

BTW making a pillow mght seem like a simple task to someone but it's more complex than one thinks. :nonono: You have to think in reverse, since you sew it inside out.

As a FYI I cannot be happier with my sewing machine. That baby just sewed through four thicknesses of leather plus two thicknesses of Velcro and didn't even blink!! :dance:

Kevin--

Nice setup. But be careful sewing vinyl on your table without using a couple of towels or other soft fabric to protect against the table edges. Recommend holding them in place with velcro.

Kevin--

Nice setup. But be careful sewing vinyl on your table without using a couple of towels or other soft fabric to protect against the table edges. Recommend holding them in place with velcro.

Thanks very much!

Well, Christmas is coming, and guess what people are getting???

Leather Pillows! :blush:

I just bought a closeout hide to match the mother in laws couch, and a half hide of bright purple for the daughter in law.

I'm already thinking of my how cool my helm seat will look when I re-cover it with a nice leather! :D

Foggy
Just got back to my laptop and could get a good look at your pictures.
Your panels indeed look nice and I appreciate your comments re: hemming vs binding.
You are lucky as all of your panels are straight edges - many folks have to contend w/ curves which make that approach tough.
I will try to keep your suggestion of close stitching the bottom of vinyl windows in mind the next time - great tip!

Kevin
If you find a table you can dedicate to the machine - a cut-out w/ a lowered section to place the portable machine on make make things a little easier...it doesn't have to be exact fit like the Sailrite tables - even a slightly larger hole w/ a lowered section w/ correct thickness spacers will be a big improvement. and if you make a "plug" to fill the hole when not sewing it becomes a useful craft / work table for many other uses.

Having a panel lie flat from infeed thru stitch & outfeed helps w/ alignment & neat stitching.

Sewing replacement vinyl into existing window panels

One other tip I've been meaning to post is regarding replacing old worn / discolored vinyl windows in an existing canvas panel that is otherwise still usable.

Most commercial shops will only sew new vinyl inside the old and cut out the old leaving a rough edge on the old at the vinyl / canvas interface - not very attractive.

If you are doing these yourself and don't mind taking some extra time it is possible to eliminate the old completely and install new...if done correctly!

DO NOT CUT OUT THE OLD VINYL FROM A CANVAS PANEL - you will lose the shape and the panel will likely never fit properly again.

Vinyl windows are almost always sewn in w/ 2 rows of stitching - an inside (next to the folded canvas edge) and an outside (usually about 1/2" outboard from the first stitch.

1. use the existing vinyl as a template to cut a new piece of vinyl the same size / shape as the existing (I usually cut mine slightly larger by maybe a 1/4" all around unless it will interfere w/ zippers, etc)
  2. using a seam ripper - remove only the outer stitching of the vinyl
  3. cut the vinyl as close as possible to the remaining inner stitch line - this retains the shape of the window / panel but allows stitching the new panel in place
  4. using seam tape (double sided tape) position the new vinyl over (inside) the existing window
  5. stitch the new vinyl window in approx where the outer stitch line was prior
  6. flip the panel over and work from the outside to remove the inner stitch line of the old window and remove the old window and the seam tape
  7. now sticth the inner stitch line through the new vinyl & canvas adjacent to the turned edge of the canvas (just outside the visible window area)
    I like Foggy's suggestion to use s closer stitch on the bottoms of windows to help prevent water intrusion!
  8. your old panel w/ new vinyl is done and should fit as well as the original or one w/ new vinyl sewn over the old and old cut out - and it will look a whole lot more professional.

I don't know of a pro shop that will take the time to do replacements this way but especially if your are DIY give this a try
I realize pics would help but I have none to do in the near future and figured winter may be the time for some to do this kind of repair / upgrade - I will try to remember next time I have one to replace to take & post some pics

Attachments

• Vinyl Window Replacement Process.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Alright. You guys are killing me. I have wanted to learn to sew. A little anyway. The Admiral and I have discussed several times the need to re-sew or replace the canvas on the Sea Note. She doesn't want me to stay tied up WORKING on the boat all the time. I do feel some sick requirement to do something most of the time. I am watching this with growing interest. NEW canvas all about sounds delicious. I am scared.:hide:
You'all please continue the enticement exercise!

Tool...

Don't be intimidated - if you do most any DIT work you can learn to do canvas work...it is not rocket science.
Have you looked at the companion post DIY Canvas - Show Off Your Projects?

All of these are examples of projects completed by amateurs - I've sewed some stuff for others to earn a few$ that basically paid for my machine / accessories but I learned by looking at others work and duplicating it - I did pick up a couple of books and have viewed many of the Sailrite videos...the key as others have stated - start small to learn & practice and work up to larger / more difficult projects.
Learn how to pattern stuff it helps a lot - saves wasted material, & avoids unnecessary frustrations, etc

Thanks Bacchus, yeah I know I can. Also looks like a useful hobby. Yes I have read quite a few of the projects posted. Thanks for the encouragement.
Dave

Don--

Most of my panels covering the rear deck area are for the most part rectangular. But not over the helm. Notice the top and bottoms of the panel in one of my pictures, they each have curvature that requires two pieces of fabric which are cut to the pattern. Each of those two pieces are first sewn inside out at the outer edge. The other two edges were then folded 1/2" with seamstick. This assembly now resembles a U. That U sandwiches over the raw edge of teh larger part of that panel's section and sewn.

Also the header that fits into an awning track is made from the pattern. I laid out three panel patterns and used the top of matched three to make the outline for the header. The width of the header is then subtracted from each of the three panel's length.

There is enough curvature where I could not get by with straight cuts except for the edges where the panels zip together.

Vinyl replacement! Yes, that is the way I do mine also. But I make it easier for myself and grossly over cut the vinyl's size. After the final sewing, just use your shears to trim the edges, makes it a little easier to do.

GEES---- IT IS GOOD TO SEE OTHERS GETTING INTO MAKING THEIR OWN CANVAS. KEEP IT UP GUYS, don't let sewing intimidate you!!

Foggy...
Got it...interesting approach to curves... hadn't considered doing it that way but will keep it in mind.
Agree...glad to see the interest and appreciate all the contributions.
Maybe one of these days this will become a sticky!?

A transient sailor was in the slip next to me last week and we shared with him our Rum one evening. The next day he wanted to return the favor but had no Rum. He said he had a sewing machine on board and did we need anything sewn. Well Heck yes. Our dinghy cover always came off due to lack of enough strapping locations. He marked the required areas and took our cover. 20 minutes later he's back with eyelets fimly attached and even brought us a couple ratched straps to tie down with. The dinghy cover has not moved since but the sailor has moved on. Moral of the story is the power of Rum and being a good neighbor and the value of a sewing machine.

Deano...
Absolutely correct - I've done many sewing jobs for beer or bourbon
I much prefer to barter...especially with my local diesel & hydraulic mechanics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom