Fishing quandary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
OK everybody! I need your help with this one. It's a quandary for me and I can use some direction.

Let's say that due to some freak in nature, you arrive at the dock with your bait and beer to load aboard and cast off for a dream 3-day fishing trip. You learn that you can either load your bait OR your beer, but not both!

Which do you take and why?

Greetings,
Mr. FW. Take the bait. You can drink beer in your living room but you can't catch fish there.

Silly question. All problems have a solution. Figure out a way to take both.

But I do agree with FF. His logic is pretty solid.

Take the beer. You can catch some bait when you get there.

Or, if not, who cares? Isn't the main point of fishing to have an excuse to drink beer?

Take the bait. Where I come from, fishing is serious business and you don't crack the beer cooler open until the fish cooler is full.

's'easy. Take both, the bait''ll just be a bit smellier and more effective by not being kept cold or frozen, whereas warm beer is not nice at all. :eek:

Seems to come down to whether the bait gets loaded, or you get loaded, or both.:)

I assume this is due to a lack of refrigerated space if so bring your favorite bourbon or rum and drink it neat in lieu of the beer. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers in case this isn't a hypothetical question.

You should always maintain an emergency stash of beer onboard for situations just like this.

I'd take the bigger anchor...

(Intentional thread derail :) )

Where do you plan to put the fish if you catch any? That's where the bait can go as you can't go fishing without beer!

Clearly you need a bigger boat.

Clearly a Quandry! Let me sit on the dock and drink several beers in order to come up with a logical solution.

Take the beer, leave the bait.

Full disclosure, I haven't fished since I was a kid. However, for the most part isn't fishing an excuse to get away from chores at home and drink beer? Kind of like golf but without the annoying walking bits.

Take the bait. Tell someone else to bring the beer.

How empty are the fresh water tanks? Maybe a good thorough washdown could create a solution for you. Beer on tap, on the water, nice!

How empty are the fresh water tanks? Maybe a good thorough washdown could create a solution for you. Beer on tap, on the water, nice!

What he said. Blue ribbon suggestion. I have that old Fallstaff tap handle somewhere........

Let work this through. If you take the bait, you may or may not catch a fish. If you take the beer, you will catch a buzz. Seems like classic bird in the hand. Take the beer and you have a guaranteed catch!

Rest assured this is a hypothetical quandary. I would never own a boat not capable of carrying beer AND bait...and if I did, I'd never admit it in a public forum! :hide:

It's sure been entertaining reading your replies, though! :thumb:

The answer is obvious. It's only a 3 day trip.

It takes an hour or two to catch some baitfish, prawns, squid or cockles for bait.
It takes a couple weeks to brew some beer.

I'm pretty sure this question was on my six pack license quiz. I answered beer and passed the test so it must be so! Drink too much and you won't need bait, you'll have chum.

I'm pretty sure this question was on my six pack license quiz. I answered beer and passed the test so it must be so! Drink too much and you won't need bait, you'll have chum.

You need a licence to buy a six pack??
The rumours I heard seemed to indicate you only had to be at least 19.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. T. You will notice that Mr. JC is from the sunny state of Florida. I've been there and you can't buy a 2-4 in the stores. Nobody can count past 21 even with their shoes off and their fly open. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

OMG - I have seen exactly THIS on NOT a 6-pack, but a 28-pax party boat... Those bridge painters were almost wasted by 10am - we had barely even gotten to the grounds. Yeah, lots of chum, and you know what else, those guys caught the most fish!!

I was like... no effing way... Geez!

Seems plenty of us took the bait.:D
The beer/caught fish refrigeration thing is easy, the beer stock should reduce at the same rate as the fish catch increases,filling the space left by the "now reconstituted" beer.

Back
Top Bottom