What Iphone App Works Best With Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I've heard so much about active captain but I've never used it. I have an iPad and an iPhone on the boat. what app would be the best to use for active captain when you're using an iPhone?

I have Garmin BlueChart on my iPad and it works great.

Navimatics Charts and Tides for iOS systems works very well for me. It costs maybe $20 for full East Coast coverage. I use it at home for trip planning because I can see the tidal current along a route and plan for an earlier or later departure to take advantage of the currents.

One thing I wish it had was multi segment distance measurement. It will measure a simple one segment line, but that is all.

It integrates with Active Captain once you log in and download the current data base. Then I just update the AC database every month or so to stay current.

Underway I use it as back up to my dash mounted chart plotter.

David

Last edited:
I have Garmin BlueChart on my iPad and it works great.

How much memory does the BlueChart take? Or a better question is how much memory does your Ipad have?
And you can use the BlueCharts without Wifi?

Of the two apps we use, Plan2Nav is the one that will also work on an iThing. Stand-alone free app (i.e., Internet not required except for updates), C-Map vector charts aren't too expensive, AC integration, etc.

The license allows you to run it on up to 3 devices, so we have it on two tablets and also on my phone... just in case.

-Chris

How much memory does the BlueChart take? Or a better question is how much memory does your Ipad have?
And you can use the BlueCharts without Wifi?

Yes BlueCharts only needs WIFI to downloaded the charts you want once and to update active captain. You pick how much coverage that you want to store. I have New England all of US east coast to west coast of Florida plus Bahamas, Northern Cuba, lots of routes, way points plus Active Captain using 704.2 MB

I tried the Garmin BlueCharts. Looks like a winner.
Thanks for all the posts. I'm just getting into ios chart and planning
[emoji41][emoji631]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom