On the lighter side...Holiday Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobstah

Vessel Name
T/T Whistful
Vessel Make
Boat US 12' Inflatable
With holidays fast approaching, our interests start to shift a bit more towards entertaining, and specifically FOOD.
I have several memories from my early childhood which were all centered around fall/holiday celebrations.
I grew up in rural central Maine. Every fall, my dad would bring home a deer, as did most men in the area. One of the things that was made from venison, along with a freezer full of meat, was Mincemeat. As far as I knew, mincemeat was always made from deer meat, specifically the neck (waste not, want not, and all). It was one of the few "school nights" we were allowed to stay up past bedtime, until the mincemeat was done. My mother would can it, and the pantry had a variety of pint and quart jars of mincemeat with a parafin seal on top.
My parents passed away when I was fairly young, and with them, the traditions around a mincemeat pie at Thanksgiving, which was by far my absolute favorite. Several years later, living in Connecticut, I was invited to a friend's house for Thanksgiving, and spent most of the meal salivating for a piece of mincemeat pie, which I was assured was on the menu.
I was served a piece of pie which bore absolutely NO resemblance to the pie of my memories, and was somewhat embarrassed to learn that mincemeat was commonly purchased in the grocery store, and was really just a jar with a mixture of apples, raisins, and some other substances.

Needless to say, the pie was awful, and made more so by my feeling that I had to finish the whole BIG slice after being so excited about it.

For those adventurous cooks out there, here's a recipe from Patten, Maine:

http://www.food.com/recipe/venison-mincemeat-42874

I haven't gone near a mincemeat pie since, but would love to travel back up to rural Maine some fall just to search for a slice.

We also always had boiled onions with butter, cream, salt, and pepper. For those familiar with Maine culinary skills, that four-some will be familiar, it's what EVERY vegetable was served in :)

So these days, that's my "must have" with the turkey feast.

What are yours?

Last edited:
Wifey B: It's not the meal, it's the where. To put it mildly our Christmas's pretty much sucked big time before we met. We've blocked all prior to 2000 out of our minds. Then came 2001. We couldn't get excited over the holiday. We were excited over having the time together and hoping we could get out on the lake. We saw one of the angel trees in the mall and liked the concept but it still was missing something. We started thinking and soon visited an orphanage nearby on one of their open house days. We knew then. So Christmas Eve dinner 2001 and every year since has been there. Now, hubby (and me too now) has this love of Prime Rib. We realized most of the kids had probably never had it, talked to the Headmistress which is what they called the lady in charge. Much like sex, there's only good prime rib but the prime rib shared on Christmas Eve there is by far the best in the world. :D

Christmas Eve is movies and stories and then we return Christmas Morning for breakfast and present opening.

Nice to read of Lobstah's memories. We blocked out pre-2000 from our memories so all ours are ones we've created since then.

Mem'ries,
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? Could we?
Mem'ries, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

Life is about memories. I've spent some time around persons with Alzheimers. In the early stages more remember some things from long ago and they function ok in the present. But they can't remember this morning or yesterday or often what you said 5 minutes ago. It made me understand that while many things are pleasurable when doing them, we derive tremendous pleasure out of remembering them. They can have a nice meal but only enjoy it once. Lobstah enjoys his concoction of mincemeat thousands of times. We enjoy our Christmas Eve dinners year round. So, to each, go out there and create some awesome memories. :):dance::dance::dance::angel::angel::devil::angel:

Wifey B: Adding one thing. All the kids, all ages, even college, still believe in Santa Claus. :) They understand the consequences that if they stop believing or say they don't believe, then Santa stops getting them presents. :lol:

My wife does a pretty spectacular beef Wellington every year for Christmas.
She actually made a video of the preparation one year that's on YouTube. I get hungry every time I watch it! That and the bush de Noel are becoming her trademarks.
As for "real" mincemeat pie I've had it before and it was yummy!
Like so much in this world, you have to do it yourself if you really want it a certain way. In this case my mom made it. From a recipe given to her from a friend from Maine no less.
Just reading this, I'm now thinking about prime rib, beef Wellington and mincemeat pie. This is bad for my diet and I've been doing so well!
Sigh, it is that time of year, isn't it?
Bruce

Food is one of the great memory triggers.

For those of us who live south of the line, Christmas is all about warm weather, cool drinks and above all else, Mangoes. Mangoes are the culinary curtain raiser for summer.I am not a fan of overt nationalism, but here i will make an exception. Queensland Kensington Pride's are the Bees Knees of Mangoes.

The perfect summer meal is a ripe mango with a smattering of suntan cream mixed with the occasional grain of sand, close your eyes & you are 12 again with not a care in the world, except for the girl sunbaking along the beach from you.

My wife does a pretty spectacular beef Wellington every year for Christmas.
She actually made a video of the preparation one year that's on YouTube. I get hungry every time I watch it! That and the bush de Noel are becoming her trademarks.
As for "real" mincemeat pie I've had it before and it was yummy!
Like so much in this world, you have to do it yourself if you really want it a certain way. In this case my mom made it. From a recipe given to her from a friend from Maine no less.
Just reading this, I'm now thinking about prime rib, beef Wellington and mincemeat pie. This is bad for my diet and I've been doing so well!
Sigh, it is that time of year, isn't it?
Bruce

Could you please share the YouTube link of the beef Wellington recipe ?

Nothing like being anchored out in a beautiful spot enjoying a nice Thanksgiving

kNWocfG_ZdDr8EosQMxMGeKWKrQXCO7zhPhqZ78YZGucgjVTtvOYEiOa9FzU6Rt4NPOAxbWfG7zmnUTVTj6mvL7j8FH9Pe9dMBX-F5xbBylag3ICugd5cSWV1Xpf-fdsAb86Ksmx9GHBJea7abq-i8Sc9-DbCh2KKZB8Kx9x_dNtLffQIl3jXTa16hhq-3_yrSBcUpbYohqTQxCLLJWsg_UjUgo87Bp7Et2kY8Epv2sR2y5see0l4vUOBQgiU-v0GgbyafqCMW3OnWFXcsmbbrs_sgJqJ5fETU8rUhTJF_iaLAV_C3LHl8nV5MKHIoat3vpoZv4H7r-mxWF8BEkke9mDpsMRK9krbj-RKRqmT5K2uefKjcpEgFpwVSen_GdOsAeZFxGIw2xl_okhXKEocY79zyyZz08YeOIBNxbkM6mB909AF3wffN9HvX1rQSim4DoiZLmkiDEmIY080Y3rd1ZGrxgEPZZdHcyzIu29TIQPTm1Y_DkjokcAyI6ldrIvZmuD8ZzC-E-rIbm4E26ezoEZOVLP1BmJDC3EaOpW1qolUw_BU57WWJJCExQv9nwBfNphlE6rUtsBMk3KmEnd4DI9guIupm4Y3_rsI6PmPCZb3sZl=w1000-h669-no

krZeQPXchABkRGttrMURAc0Jm_5HDCgmtANvIUGwDB1Ihmd_A5uzCrIL5AYfhO5vYbLIz_zp-zmuvAnO2D5IxKl3U7MEH6HCXEXqyz_ihSovjyzFOkh0NFcniQrHq2Dkn_OZKqdT-rf2CRcZlrFoChE9jK08YwOLyKrBAl5QIAHQtiK7_zIqD0fAIk87Ca4jovBwiEJu1NEWXBtJfD7AaDCTiIg4RXl9gYy6BwpFiXE9yclxhqUwknMW4Avh7Yvp2h6gNiklq3zzg2Q3sPEnwa3Qk2gcw1xHBV3HVKdQq8INaxYlDvcLYV0LHZG1Pxxf2_JNDYwLlHsCSgzTG40lIhHG2ravfCiOACjX-Kza9BCQkEgWeiUQ4nMhZongKOWnVF8Rgl8OkeH-TkZag3-8IJmXNPtytNeW7J3etf3MnXhGHji0UIvwe-TG3OedR6amAS_SGesbMQAptCU2eoAjqvys-zXLcm_4o9OPDp70Uyl3VlRiqgj5gxp8hFAVw48E1VBbIOHJv7Ty1xuEuHaHpKFizjrL1dxn7WfdOTrhZ4PEs0raLBspBeUq-4SF5lz2ENrQqfyYDzMNZHiYYUX6-FIWofIua-qn1ZbMBDTF58D1ydGt=w1000-h671-no

Or Christmas morning brunch up on the flying bridge..

bDVfZbC_5KkwoDNo8c0Hd9uTOOdZUd27FYGyPSaPr_eLsUX1FupI5F3X5cE9znMWJKj0VcCibuO0VmPm24ua0qfH1g8xeSgxtZq0TwpzQRMBGeCngIKrVWophYCeltQF4e5GWrAq2-LT_ENJ5tR8h3Fv8yXA8F4XTlWpPPdwsliqDmeBKxNVLoluoSi6nyn7iZQ2Ljno_Vc2vwyuc8S1tXh6PNDh07YRPte0xSW-aPLBDdHkhwPuVC1mg0mdho2_R9SOL9uJnnZCX_7KFlx4h90sG0ekvxT9PU_8Snl8rsiYqooW-msmg_AZDVmvvSeYiyqqM0TsqFwuySbyrx-bwSF2_-NncNfEJcmZO_l8Qg2L6k2cqVdIqWneSRFuDnApXtZtudLSEV6AWRBt_t4Pb7ofQT0_20_hWrIfSO2WAon2uciXq0PjY6Ge0jD-KAFdB_FmMT_l2dP8PbzmZwI8RPmUmsPFiQYk5JX7fs4BgRRbrrm1jKsGMUqdAipjxMYdg0ym2ZT9XPgWzPzz__qkJjA2EuctwE1m_wyDDzr4cEQX-OlAdQR_-ojlUabqx05T5P6CxG5Fig7X8J_GaR9Cw_8XwvyZgFzv-7vZcqll70zy44l7=w1000-h750-no

Nothing like being anchored out in a beautiful spot enjoying a nice Thanksgiving

It's going to be strange to be at home this Thanksgiving since the last two have been in Clearwater and Marina Del Rey. We look forward to it and also to getting out on our home waters over the holiday with guests. Our first Thanksgiving on a boat, we thought we'd just all go to a nice restaurant. We were very much overruled on that idea and I'm glad we were. Seeing your photos reminded me how nice it can be on a boat in a beautiful setting. It was the younger ones with us who wanted the traditional feast.

kNWocfG_ZdDr8EosQMxMGeKWKrQXCO7zhPhqZ78YZGucgjVTtvOYEiOa9FzU6Rt4NPOAxbWfG7zmnUTVTj6mvL7j8FH9Pe9dMBX-F5xbBylag3ICugd5cSWV1Xpf-fdsAb86Ksmx9GHBJea7abq-i8Sc9-DbCh2KKZB8Kx9x_dNtLffQIl3jXTa16hhq-3_yrSBcUpbYohqTQxCLLJWsg_UjUgo87Bp7Et2kY8Epv2sR2y5see0l4vUOBQgiU-v0GgbyafqCMW3OnWFXcsmbbrs_sgJqJ5fETU8rUhTJF_iaLAV_C3LHl8nV5MKHIoat3vpoZv4H7r-mxWF8BEkke9mDpsMRK9krbj-RKRqmT5K2uefKjcpEgFpwVSen_GdOsAeZFxGIw2xl_okhXKEocY79zyyZz08YeOIBNxbkM6mB909AF3wffN9HvX1rQSim4DoiZLmkiDEmIY080Y3rd1ZGrxgEPZZdHcyzIu29TIQPTm1Y_DkjokcAyI6ldrIvZmuD8ZzC-E-rIbm4E26ezoEZOVLP1BmJDC3EaOpW1qolUw_BU57WWJJCExQv9nwBfNphlE6rUtsBMk3KmEnd4DI9guIupm4Y3_rsI6PmPCZb3sZl=w1000-h669-no

krZeQPXchABkRGttrMURAc0Jm_5HDCgmtANvIUGwDB1Ihmd_A5uzCrIL5AYfhO5vYbLIz_zp-zmuvAnO2D5IxKl3U7MEH6HCXEXqyz_ihSovjyzFOkh0NFcniQrHq2Dkn_OZKqdT-rf2CRcZlrFoChE9jK08YwOLyKrBAl5QIAHQtiK7_zIqD0fAIk87Ca4jovBwiEJu1NEWXBtJfD7AaDCTiIg4RXl9gYy6BwpFiXE9yclxhqUwknMW4Avh7Yvp2h6gNiklq3zzg2Q3sPEnwa3Qk2gcw1xHBV3HVKdQq8INaxYlDvcLYV0LHZG1Pxxf2_JNDYwLlHsCSgzTG40lIhHG2ravfCiOACjX-Kza9BCQkEgWeiUQ4nMhZongKOWnVF8Rgl8OkeH-TkZag3-8IJmXNPtytNeW7J3etf3MnXhGHji0UIvwe-TG3OedR6amAS_SGesbMQAptCU2eoAjqvys-zXLcm_4o9OPDp70Uyl3VlRiqgj5gxp8hFAVw48E1VBbIOHJv7Ty1xuEuHaHpKFizjrL1dxn7WfdOTrhZ4PEs0raLBspBeUq-4SF5lz2ENrQqfyYDzMNZHiYYUX6-FIWofIua-qn1ZbMBDTF58D1ydGt=w1000-h671-no

Or Christmas morning brunch up on the flying bridge..

bDVfZbC_5KkwoDNo8c0Hd9uTOOdZUd27FYGyPSaPr_eLsUX1FupI5F3X5cE9znMWJKj0VcCibuO0VmPm24ua0qfH1g8xeSgxtZq0TwpzQRMBGeCngIKrVWophYCeltQF4e5GWrAq2-LT_ENJ5tR8h3Fv8yXA8F4XTlWpPPdwsliqDmeBKxNVLoluoSi6nyn7iZQ2Ljno_Vc2vwyuc8S1tXh6PNDh07YRPte0xSW-aPLBDdHkhwPuVC1mg0mdho2_R9SOL9uJnnZCX_7KFlx4h90sG0ekvxT9PU_8Snl8rsiYqooW-msmg_AZDVmvvSeYiyqqM0TsqFwuySbyrx-bwSF2_-NncNfEJcmZO_l8Qg2L6k2cqVdIqWneSRFuDnApXtZtudLSEV6AWRBt_t4Pb7ofQT0_20_hWrIfSO2WAon2uciXq0PjY6Ge0jD-KAFdB_FmMT_l2dP8PbzmZwI8RPmUmsPFiQYk5JX7fs4BgRRbrrm1jKsGMUqdAipjxMYdg0ym2ZT9XPgWzPzz__qkJjA2EuctwE1m_wyDDzr4cEQX-OlAdQR_-ojlUabqx05T5P6CxG5Fig7X8J_GaR9Cw_8XwvyZgFzv-7vZcqll70zy44l7=w1000-h750-no

OK, you win, I'll ditch the mango.

Wait, I have a better idea, I will bring a case of mangoes over, just set another place for me. Turkey, hmm, I had better bring a good Chardonay or perhaps a Chablis with me. Now where did I put that flight schedule.....

Someday I'd love to celebrate Thanksgiving on our boat.
The time is coming, I'm sure.
Bruce

Holiday food has changed for since growing up in Canada. We don't celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving anymore, but we do join an American friend in Adelaide for their Thanksgiving dinner. Its the only time I see pumpkin pie in Australia.
For Christmas it's seafood for us. My favourite is prawns stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped in prosciutto, and grilled on the barbecue.

Holiday food has changed for since growing up in Canada. We don't celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving anymore, but we do join an American friend in Adelaide for their Thanksgiving dinner. Its the only time I see pumpkin pie in Australia.
For Christmas it's seafood for us. My favourite is prawns stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped in prosciutto, and grilled on the barbecue.

I wish yez all would shut up. I'm on the 5:2 eating plan, and it's one of my fasting days. :mad:

Bruce, what a stunning video and lovely family. The Christmas meal looked fantastic.

Our grand kids have requested Thanksgiving at our mountain cabin. So, this weekend starts the process to haul everything up there to prepare the feast. A big fire in the stone fireplace with 12 or more gathered around the table is something Lou and I have wanted to do for quite sometime. With everyone being scattered across the country it is very difficult to get them all together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom