pulled the trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milt

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
White Pelican
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
Have been following this forum for a while now, picking up a lot of good info. Found a boat and pulled the trigger. Since my pockets are not deep and have holes in them, this is a project boat. I have had smaller boats for many years, and have worked on a couple of older wood boats.

This is my first time owning a larger trawler and will be picking the brains of the many informed members here. The boat is a 1973 marine trader sedan hull # 40 with a Lehman 120 that runs great. Took it from Apollo beach FL to my home on Pine Island FL, about 18 hrs. Now the fun starts.
Curt

Nice boat congratulations. Any boat we've ever owned has been a project boat . More pictures when you have time.

Great that you now own a "comfort-sized" boat!

One of my expertise regarding used boats is to categorize projects at hand; i.e. most pressing, to least pressing, to aw shucks I'd really like to change that feature even though changing it is not really necessary.

If the boat is a good runner to start with and floats well then the word pleasure can immediately come into play... in that... as you spend couple years tending to "projects" you can venture out (or even stay at dock if desired) while pleasurably enjoying good ol' R&R aboard "your boat"!

After all - Boats on this forum are primarily intended for Pleasure... That's why they are often termed "Pleasure Boats"

Happy Pleasure-Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Congratulations.
Many years ago we bought a new 38' sail boat ...... there were projects.
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand ........ it's what we do.

Welcome milt. The boat will be the biggest hole in your pocket to date. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the responses, have been redoing the head to keep the Admiral happy. It was sitting on three 2X6's and not secured to the floor, you didn't want to be on it in rough water. Made a proper base, secured it to the floor then attached the bowel to the base. Now the Admiral is all smiles. One project done, on to the next 100 or so.

Congrats on pulling the trigger, Milt, and good luck with your new MT. As Marty noted, every boat is a project!

To me, the key was you ran it home, took 18 hours, so it's a boat you can use now, not waiting for all the projects to be done.

Well if you attached the "bowel" to the base, you don't need a toilet!! Have fun with the boat, as noted all boats are project boats.

This time around one of the main things I looked for was a boat that ran. Some years ago picked up a boat that did not need much in the way of a facelift but the engines were not running. Last time I will do that.

Yes, welcome aboard Milt. By the way, unless my eyes deceive me, that is a sedan version of a CHB 34, like mine and even older. Back then sedans were rare as hens teeth - now new models are mostly all like that, but they call them Europa style.

Mine also still runs great. They have their issues,, but overall give good and lengthy service. They are always a project, however, just to keep them up to scratch. The important bit is that most of it you can indeed do yourself. :)

Am I correct re the configuration..? The boat in your avatar pic is at such an angle I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Please tell us a bit more about it, and maybe even some pics when able..?

You don't own a Marine Trader.

They own you.

Good luck. You have a great boat and a great future.

She is a 34' MT 1973 hull #40 sedan, Looked at some Europa sedans with the overhangs on the side and back, not good for me (6'7") would have to have a crash helmet on. Took me 2 plus years to find the right boat. Almost went with a prairie trawler but it was upstate N.Y. on the Erie canal. Will ad pictures when I work it out.

Attachments

• PA240461.jpg
    PA240461.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 190
  • PA160457.jpg
    PA160457.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 182
PA240462.jpg

I know I don't have to tell you, but you are in the middle of a bunch of prime cruising waters.
Congrats and Enjoy !

Back
Top Bottom