Iveco????....Repower????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
All I gotta say is WOW!!! *I was at the Houston International boat show yesterday and across from my wife's booth is an engine dealer(one of her competitors actually). *They had a 160hp Iveco straight 6 N/A engine with gear and all for $11,000!!!! *Not only that, it achieves that rating at a max RPM of 1800RPMs. *So cruise RPM would likely be in the 1200-1500 range. *What a perfect motor for a trawler and what a deal on the price!!!! *

I know this manufacturer keeps popping up in the repower threads but man, what a perfect engine for a trawler. *And for $11k with tranny!!!!!

PS....I travel all over the world and Iveco is much more popular in other countries(like Hino) and I would imagine parts support would not be an issue.

John

Iveco (Fiat) does not have a good reputation regarding dealer service in Europe or NA according to boatdiesel.com. This is especially troublesome because Iveco's seem to require inordinate service.*Tidapah who is repowering in OZ may have better knowledge.

I had a choice between Iveco and John Deere.* Chose JD.

"So cruise RPM would likely be in the 1200-1500 range. What a perfect motor for a trawler and what a deal on the price!!!!"

Guessing won't work, you need to get any engines spec sheet and see hoe low the RPM the Mfg still rates power.

For about $300 you can get an International DT 360 , mechanical, and bolt a rebuilt Twin Disc for another $1500 or so.

Complete install (with good motor mounts from Soundown) for under perhapd $5 or 6K.

Is NEW white paint worth $6,000 to you , or do you just want to cruise say 4,000 hours efficiently?

IVECO are good engines.
I know I am changing mine out but this is due to other circumstances and also going down in Capacity and HP. Going for a 5 lt / hr fuel saving at 8 knts.
I have a friend who recently fitted a small 100hp IVECO into a 40 ft motor sailor and he is more than happy with it.
Service in Australia and most other countries is VG.
With gearbox for 11 K sounds like a good deal

Benn

Sounds great to me. Why would anyone want to rebuild a Lehman when you can get a NEW engine by the people that make farrari's (SP?) and lamborgini's? I think Fiat was the largest auto manufacturer in the world. In non-marine engines Italian equipment is known for poor electrics and wonderful machining and casting. I'll ask my Klassen guys about it.

"Why would anyone want to rebuild a Lehman when you can get a NEW engine by the people that make farrari's (SP?) and lamborgini's? "

I can get you a fine Italian Army rifle , never fired,only dropped once , on surrender.

FF,

If you're making a negative political statement take it to OTDE!

Tom,

I don't know anything bad about Iveco but don't recall any dealers in the US. They are on Boat Diesel. I clicked on them and see no current 160hp engine. I suspect somebody found a bunch of them for cheap in a warehouse somewhere and bought'em. I think the engines are probably good but the dealer situation looks weak at best.

I just searched and found NO Iveco dealers in the US.

(I think FF maka da joke. At least I chuckled when I read it....and I am part Italian).

Eric, Gulf Coast Composites is who had if for sale....

When we were contemplating a Newbuild , this was the local source.

http://www.maesco.com/products/iveco/iveco.html

Google "ivecio marine engine" , for the sources, just Ivecio is probably looking for the truck dealers

Parts are avilaible , no worse than Volvo and loads cheaper.

I would get the BIG SHOP Manual ,and parts book as part of the origional purchase.

An uncommon engine will need Da Book for who ever is going to service or maintain it.

Actually there is an Iveco dealer in Seattle. Klassen. They just started selling them and have sold about a dozen to fishermen in Alaska** ...mostly 3-400hp. I asked David about a Lehman replacement engine and here's what he's got.

Iveco 4cyl 114 "sea rated" hp at 3500rpm. Turbo'd and aftercooled. 180 cu in 728lbs bobtail and max torque at 2250rpm. $17,500 ready to go in the boat sans gear. Sea trial is necessary for warrenty. Sea trial starts at $400 in Seattle.

There is an Iveco 150 HP, 6 cylinder, 6,7 liters NA, Tier2 marine engine. IVECO NEF150. thats close to 160 HP.

Iveco is one of the largest truck engine manufacturers in the world which assures the quality..

sunchaser wrote:
John

Iveco (Fiat) does not have a good reputation regarding dealer service in Europe or NA according to boatdiesel.com. This is especially troublesome because Iveco's seem to require inordinate service.*Tidapah who is repowering in OZ may have better knowledge.
*Very correct,

their dealers are NOT helpfull and the factory contacts are useless. It is close to impossible to get ANY information out of them, no matter how small......or big..

Not sure that the comment about requiring inordinate service is correct*- I have only heard good things about the engines - after all they are truck engines operation in all conditions...

-- Edited by Singleprop on Thursday 21st of April 2011 09:53:55 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom