Mainship Flybridge makeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdud133

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Anegada da Vida
Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34 mk1
img_494859_0_8ab6d020f16b5c327fea32fbd96f7533.jpg

img_494859_1_a9982c22750d45a58a94a9e39c1526ae.jpg

img_494859_2_03637635c61dd8a03e591429c0e09ba2.jpg

I am redoing my flybridge. A little recoring, new furniture, new non-skid. I pulled the carpet off of the walls and am wondering what I should do to cover the rough fiberglass. New carpet, fabric, paint? Any ideas?

Personnally I would go for paint as it will be less maintenance for something outdoor. I would find nice to have this covered with nice mahogany plywood scelled with varnish or cetol, it would look nice and as it is a vertical part it should be pretty long lasting. I would certainly not opt for carpet or fabric.
It is up your taste and preference and tolerance to maintenance job.

I would also paint. Easy maintenance, no mold. I owned one of those for 14 years and thankfully mine did not have carpet in there.
I had sliding plastic doors that gave good storage.

Greetings,
Mr. jd. Yup, I'm in agreement with Mr. L_t and Mr. jl. Paint is the easiest, quickest and probably cheapest. Give the rough FRP a good sanding to take off the sharp bits and slop on your paint of choice. IF, in the future, you are not satisfied, you can carpet or panel...As mentioned, your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was leaning on painting it to match the gelcoat. Should be clean and easy.

My next decision is furniture layout. Been thinking about some type of L-shaped setee in the back of the flybridge with a table and probably 2 or 3 captain's chairs up front. Still working it out.

Why not use Kiwigrip? You could make it pretty smooth and it's hard as nails when dry. Easy to put on and cleans up with water.

Why not use Kiwigrip? You could make it pretty smooth and it's hard as nails when dry. Easy to put on and cleans up with water.

I intend to use kiwigrip on the flybridge deck. I have seen the videos and read all the reviews and it seems worth a try.

We are very happy with ours.

I just painted my sundeck hardtop with Kiwigrip. It was very easy to apply. Love the way it looks. I am going to paint all the decks later in the spring.

Good move on the paint, Did mine with the carpet. But the algae and mold growing at the junction of the deck drives me crazy. Wouldn't do it again!

That's so funny! I'm doing exactly the same thing right now with my Mainship. I plan on painting the inside part of the flybridge as well. Anything other than the monkey fur they used! How are you handling the junction between the cabintop and the flybridge? My thought was the original rubber gasket just held water and contributed to cabintop leaks eventually. Good luck.

I ended up painting the old rough fiberglass. Two coats of West Marine Sea Gloss primer and two coats of Sea Gloss paint. The Kiwi Grip is going on next week.

img_566300_0_cf3ad27eecfac15f417c48541ca36194.jpg

img_566300_1_42a4d6ee43a838b0f245f15284cb726f.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom