3208 T/A pencil zincs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I need some education. Changing the pencil zincs on the 3208s and tranny. Is there a specific size, length ????? I believe there are 5 zincs on each motor. Best place to buy them?

This is the first I have changed them. In the past a mechanic always changed them.:confused:

Please educate me.....

Pencil zincs come in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" diameters and lengths from 3/4" to 2". Shorter is ok, but too long could bottom out. Go to boatzincs.com and order them as well as your transom, prop shaft and rudder zincs.

The cheapest way to buy these is just the zinc itself. It screws in to a brass nut holder and use pliers to screw it tight, otherwise the threads can loosen and let the zinc fall out which will be tough to recover.

Sometimes if you have left the zinc in too long, there is nothing left to grab a hold of to remove the old zinc from the nut/holder. In that case just buy the new zinc and a new brass nut holder. Boatzincs has these as well.

I replace mine when they are 1/3 gone as that assures enough material to grab hold of and unscrew from the nut.

David

Anyone out there with 3208s that could kick in some info please

Usually on 3208s:

The threads are American pipe threads

Main Heat Exchanger 2 - 1/4inch pipe thread size zincs
1 - 3/4inch pipe thread size zinc

Twin Disc Heat Exchanger 2 - 3/4inch pipe thread size zincs

1. Shut off the seacock
2. Have a gallon size bucket ready to catch the water that will come out. Also have a back up bucket. (depending on your cooling water configuration, more water can flow out. I usually use duck tape to make a spout to better channel the seawater so it does not flow down the engine.
3. You can replace the zinc if it is not more than 50% eroded. But I usually just replace them all. If they are too far gone they can break off in the heat exchanger.
4. Use pipe dope (not teflon tape) on the threads.
5. Open seacock when done
6. Run engine check to make sure water is flowing out of the exhaust. check for leaks.

Usually on 3208s:

The threads are American pipe threads

Main Heat Exchanger 2 - 1/4inch pipe thread size zincs
1 - 3/4inch pipe thread size zinc

Twin Disc Heat Exchanger 2 - 3/4inch pipe thread size zincs

1. Shut off the seacock
2. Have a gallon size bucket ready to catch the water that will come out. Also have a back up bucket. (depending on your cooling water configuration, more water can flow out. I usually use duck tape to make a spout to better channel the seawater so it does not flow down the engine.
3. You can replace the zinc if it is not more than 50% eroded. But I usually just replace them all. If they are too far gone they can break off in the heat exchanger.
4. Use pipe dope (not teflon tape) on the threads.
5. Open seacock when done
6. Run engine check to make sure water is flowing out of the exhaust. check for leaks.

Thank you. Just what I needed....

BTW, if you call boatzincs.com they will tell you exactly what you need for the 3208. They will sell them in sets.

I was at the boat today and realized I posted the incorrect size. The larger zincs are 1/2inch pipe threads (not3/4). I messed up because I was remembering using a 3/4socket.

Sorry for the mistake

I was at the boat today and realized I posted the incorrect size. The larger zincs are 1/2inch pipe threads (not3/4). I messed up because I was remembering using a 3/4socket.

Sorry for the mistake

Thank you

Ordered the zincs today from BoatZincs. Thanks for the info.

Replacement Interval

Tom,

Ahoy. How much time are you getting out of a set of zincs? I suppose you are mostly in fresh water outside of the summer...

I only have two of these zincs in IRENE. I have learned recently that I need to replace mine about every 4-6 months. My last set of zincs did what they were supposed to do much faster than I anticipated.

My latest interval was based on having salt water in the engine for about 4 weeks continuously, and on about half of the weekends. The remainder of the time it is flushed with fresh water and left on the trailer.

J

Tom,

Ahoy. How much time are you getting out of a set of zincs? I suppose you are mostly in fresh water outside of the summer...

I only have two of these zincs in IRENE. I have learned recently that I need to replace mine about every 4-6 months. My last set of zincs did what they were supposed to do much faster than I anticipated.

My latest interval was based on having salt water in the engine for about 4 weeks continuously, and on about half of the weekends. The remainder of the time it is flushed with fresh water and left on the trailer.

J

And I was hoping no one would ask....so now I am embarrassed....:angel:

I didn't realize I had engine zincs until I was reading the maintenance book. In trying to figure out how and with what to replace them, I pulled one and there was just a little bit left. So being in fresh water seems to be easier on them.

There are 5 zincs, 3 on the heat exchanger and 2 on the transmission oil cooler.:blush::blush:

I am a BAD Boy

Well that wasn't painful. The hardest thing about this job was locating the zincs. I am guessing the old zincs are done. :blush:

I actually have one with a little left!:rolleyes:

Lessoned learned, check and change more often. I will also have at least 2 changes of zincs on hand at all times. I also painted the new caps red so they can be easily located.:thumb:

Attachments

• 100_4421.jpg
    100_4421.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 57
I have always found the most difficult part of boat maintenance is finding out what I have missed doing. The second hardest thing is finding out just how important the previously neglected item turns out to be.
Not good enough to tell the mechanic to do everything necessary, as you don't know what he/she has missed, unless you know yourself what actually needed doing...mechanics are not necessarily going to do everything necessary without you being able to tell or show them exactly what is needed.

Good that you will now be right on top of the engine zincs. Now ... what else is there that nobody has told you about?

This is why forums (forii) like this one are so valuable.

I think I have it all covered, I think.

So question for TF: As I am in fresh water in the winter and salt in the summer, how long do these pencil engine zincs last? How often should I check them.

I check mine once a year. we are mostly in fresh water and only spend 2-3 weeks in salt water each year. With that mix I only need to change them every 3 years. Even then they don't really need it. The PO was full time in salt water and his log says he changed them every season
John

Back
Top Bottom