Removing 5200 without Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thought I would share.

There has been some discussion in various threads on 5200. If you try to pull/force 5200 off, you will also rip some fiberglass with it.

I was watching Ship Shape TV the other day and they showed this stuff to remove 5200 without causing damage to fiberglass.

https://www.debondcorporation.com/products/marine-formula

I haven't used it on 5200 yet but it works great on 4200.

I find that my oscillating saw works well with the scraper blade. You can cut through the 5200 like butter without damaging anything.

I used it on 5200 a few couple of years ago, it did help. I found poking the 5200 with a sharp knife point as the Debond softened it helped it work into the 5200.

Years ago I read, "5200 is so messy if you order some by phone it will get in your hair" that's about right! It does work well though.

depending on the application...heat also works but try to heat only the metal fitting and the 5200...as the heat necessary to loosen the 5200 will affect the fiberglass too.

+1 on heat, it works a treat

I'm replacing the house side windows on my Nauset 28, Destroyed one frame removing it. Discovered this thread a couple days ago, ordered a 12 oz can of Marine Formula Debond. All I can say is, "THIS STUFF WORKS" removed the remaining windows in less time than it took to remove the first one, and no damage.

I'm replacing the house side windows on my Nauset 28, Destroyed one frame removing it. Discovered this thread a couple days ago, ordered a 12 oz can of Marine Formula Debond. All I can say is, "THIS STUFF WORKS" removed the remaining windows in less time than it took to remove the first one, and no damage.

Good to hear!:thumb:

I watch the above program not really to learn about how to do stuff like remove a rotten stern, rather the products he brings on to the show and the commercials....

Every year I strip areas of 5200 caulking. I use a wire wheel on a variable drill. The wire wheel does damage but the damage is covered with new caulking. Also I do not remove 100% of the old as the new will cover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom