Interior color challenge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
I understand that asking for opinions on color in a forum is perhaps asking for trouble but...
One of the challenges of the AT 395 is that the interior seems a little bland. In our quest to liven it up, we have eliminated all carpet, moved away from as many of the stock beige/tan colors as we could and...we have chosen to use Poppy (red) ultraleather for the salon. Then came the question about the helm seats, what to do?
Go for broke or tone it down with something that matches the vinyl used elsewhere?
We now have a photoshop rendering of both options.
Care to comment?
Too much red?
Please be nice!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 127

Well, it isn't for you now is it?
The nice thing about interior fabric colors is that they can be replaced easily enough...
The idea of a beige interior or blue or brown impacts me the same way this apparently impacts you!
Bruce

Well, it isn't for you now is it?
The nice thing about interior fabric colors is that they can be replaced easily enough...
The idea of a beige interior or blue or brown impacts me the same way this apparently impacts you!
Bruce

:confused: you asked for a opinion I was trying to be subtle as possible but you had already made up your mind so why ask :facepalm:

Go deeper red...for us careless red wine drinkers....:facepalm:

But seriously...I am more for the grey or mild greens that seem to go with the wood nicely/traditional.

:confused: you asked for a opinion I was trying to be subtle as possible but you had already made up your mind so why ask :facepalm:

I knew I'd get some of this, it's ok though, I did ask..
Don't feel too bad though, we aren't sure about it either!
I love the color red and although my initial reaction was to question the decision, now it is beginning to grow on me.
Just try to be nice, you don't have to agree.
Bruce

Let me get this straight. You are getting a light blue green hull and you want to do the interior in red??? What is wrong with this picture?

I knew I'd get some of this, it's ok though, I did ask..
Don't feel too bad though, we aren't sure about it either!
I love the color red and although my initial reaction was to question the decision, now it is beginning to grow on me.
Just try to be nice, you don't have to agree.
Bruce

I have 2 rather large red leather lounges and 2 matching recliners in my home with light timber floors in a big area they look fantastic . I just find in a small dark area red over fills the area and makes it look smaller than it is .Red is also an aggressive colour and for that reason alone I wouldn't use it on a boat ;)

My opinion is that the red couch adds a nice pop, but the helm seat being red becomes a bit overwhelming.

I liked the second picture with the red and white a lot....until Donsan reminded me of your hull color....unfortuneately that just clashes in my mind too much, are there any prints you like that might incorporate the hull color for the upholstery and then find a complimentary color of the hull for other items etc.
Have fun whatever you choose.

The all red version seems to be a bit much to me. I prefer where you mixed up the colors. Also, the red helm seats seem to make the space look smaller, where the lighter color makes the space seem to stretch into the pilot house, if that makes sense.

EDIT - also prefer the lighter colored countertops in the second photo, which I just noticed. It all makes the space seem larger and more open.

Last edited:
I think I'd tone it down on the expensive-to-replace objects and go apes**t with accessories, blankies, pillows, throw rugs, objets d'arts, etc.

OTOH, in our dining room, we have deep red leather couch and chair, orange-ish flue tile base w/glass topped coffee table, walnut dining table and windsor chairs, faded purple wall paint above a beige wainscot, and an Oriental carpet with lots of dark blue and purples. (Only the orange flue tile is a bit jarring.) Throw pillows and a deep chair w/hassock are neutral-ish beige-ish.

Don't think the blue hull has any bearing on the interior.

Door Number Two without the bright red. If you want reddish, perhaps something in a more earthy Terracotta tone to compliment the wood?

I like the red couch. But I would go with the white helm seats.

If it is too much red for you, change out the pillows to include only touches of red. You can easily bring in primary colors, ie: green , yellow, blue, white in vibrant prints or solids.

I think you have a great base there. Just build on it.

Bruce: I worked with it a bit, but couldn't come up with anything better than some paisley button and tuff with upholstered fridge and tasteful curtain treatment.:hide:

Attachments

• pink button tuffed American Tug int..jpg
    pink button tuffed American Tug int..jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 453
Bruce: I worked with it a bit, but couldn't come up with anything better than some paisley button and tuff with upholstered fridge and tasteful curtain treatment.:hide:

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Made me laugh pretty hard...
Many, many thanks for that one,
Bruce

It is actually interesting to see people's responses to this.
Not sure what we will end up doing yet, we are all over the place.
Fridge will be different and the table too.
Everything impacts the way it looks so we are simply not sure.
I do love the button tuft thing though!
Bruce

Personally, I would just use the red as accent color. It will get old having so much pop.
And,... you can always change out accent pieces and create a whole different look. But,....it's your boat!

Bill

Larry.

Speechless.

Can you get a paisley incorporating fouled anchors instead of the boring old subcontinent stuff?

I can see why you want to liven it up but the red is too much.

White would be a safe bet, but tough to keep clean.
Perhaps a leaf green, or maybe a deep green like this? It seems to go well with the dark wood.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 249
We spill a lot of wine, so replaced the ageing white.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
It may look cool now but at some point in time, you or your heirs will want to sell the boat and those colors may turn off would be buyers. Suggest going with more neutral or at least more nautical colors.

Well if you're gonna go with the red, do the deluxe leather. Does better with SS and wood.

Attachments

• American Tug 34 leather.jpg
    American Tug 34 leather.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I agree that the "wine red" looks great.

The bright red looks good at first, but I would be concerned that it might get to be too much over time.

Greetings,
Re: post #25. First time I've EVER seen a vessel's saloon with a mirrored ceiling...Mr. R. You are indeed a Rebel.

Also agree. Too much red.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom